• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Hardware setup on single box servers? (1 Viewer)

Rickter2

RedCents
50¢
Hey guys, I am just coming back into the game and looking to start on Coirnav. I am looking for ideas for cheap and reliable hardware setups to accommodate a 6 man team. Preferably something that saves me from feeling like im working out the entire time playing LOL!

In the past it was simple using ISOBoxer,but these single box rule set servers make that challenging. Any hardware tricks to help make boxing easier but still following guidelines of the progression servers? Also, the idea of 6 computers radiating me daily is disturbing.

Would love to hear about some of your setups!

any quad core (+hyper threading) laptop or desktop will do, get 8gb ram (16gb if it is in your budget) and any decent video card, I use 550ti a lot as I have a few pcs to fill up. should 6box like a dream

be aware though, Coirnav and MQ2 are not compatible... Most TLP servers are not with MQ2 btw...

A KVM switch helps... K=keyboard V=Video M=Mouse … it allows you to control all 6 computers from one keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
Some are really expensive, you don't need an expensive one.

I did do quite well using chrome remote desktop. Synergy, MS remote desktop, Nvidia whatever they call it, ... I didn't get the response rates I got with chrome.
Then added some auto-hotkey macro that helped me switch between the single screens with just one press of a button.

Used the following kind of AHK mac, binding ctrl+alt+? to whatever g-key on my logitech g510 i wanted to use for switching.
It runs very well.

INI:
^!1:: ; ctrl+alt+1
IfWinExist, EverQuest ; local machine instance
WinActivate ; use the window found above
return

^!2:: ; ctrl+alt+2
IfWinExist, computername2 ; selects computer 1 RDP window
return

^!3:: ; ctrl+alt+3
IfWinExist, computername3
return

^!4:: ; ctrl+alt+4
IfWinExist, computername4
return

Thanks all for the response. So AHK wont get me in trouble as long as i use it while not AFK?
Depends on whom you end up with :-) (and the outcome can be anything from nothing, suspension up to ban)
I only use AHK for System-specific stuff (switching between applications) and for nothing that has to do with the game. Although I found folks playing and automating gameplay quite much using AHK which usually ended not that well for them.

ahk, programable keyboards, programable mice and usb programable devices are all 100% safe to use and no one I know of has ever been banned for using one in any game... they are an industry stardard and support cross platform use like the SteelSeries World of Warcraft mouse, 16 programable buttons and fully endorsed by blizzard...

I just started a char on that server. Had anyone considered using a VPN in a VM to simulate a second computer for a box team? Aside from low quality video on the "box" ofc. Anyway, had this been tried? Or would simple just using a VM be enough? JC. New to "premium" servers.

when azure came out I set up 3 servers in the vm to all run groups, all I had was headaches from it, so not I have 11 PCs on my desk and no VMs.... we did however successfully host eqbc on azure and our entire guild could send bca commands to anyone in the guild, handy to reset a tank or drag a corpse or whatever

I just started a char on that server. Had anyone considered using a VPN in a VM to simulate a second computer for a box team? Aside from low quality video on the "box" ofc. Anyway, had this been tried? Or would simple just using a VM be enough? JC. New to "premium" servers.
The thing about VM is: It is detectable by software if you are running in a VM and Daybreak are clear on VMs: it is bannable.
They also had automatisms that banned folks automatically - although I know of people playing inside VMs for long times. So those automatisms might not be active all the time.

I picked up an old Dell R710 server. It shows as 24 cores. It has 36gb ram. I put six 1tb drives in it for raid 10 configuration. I put a 1gb video card in it. I run a starpro kvm, so the server sits in my basement, keeping the heat and noise away. Rock solid, never goes down, and I never have lag issues. For the OS, I am running Win 7 Pro. Im not a fan of Win 10 at this point.

I picked up an old Dell R710 server. It shows as 24 cores. It has 36gb ram. I put six 1tb drives in it for raid 10 configuration. I put a 1gb video card in it. I run a starpro kvm, so the server sits in my basement, keeping the heat and noise away. Rock solid, never goes down, and I never have lag issues. For the OS, I am running Win 7 Pro. Im not a fan of Win 10 at this point.

HOW THE F%&K MUCH DID THAT SET YOU BACK?!? An arm and a leg or two....or more.

Lol na, I work in IT for a living. If I were to buy it all maybe 400 bucks or so...it only cost me 40 bucks for the graphics card, the rest I put together from leftovers....

Not unrelistic though :-)
I just checked with one of my refurbished vendors here in europe and i could easily get a R710 with 2 x Intel Xeon E5645 SLBWZ 6C Server Prozessor 6x 2,40 GHz along with 64gb ram for about €400

But that reminds me about the machine i have downstairs sitting around offline ... hmmm ...

Question - Hardware setup on single box servers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back