• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Group Comp Feedback Please (1 Viewer)

RedCents
421¢
I've spent the last few days learning a bit about VV. I made a team of SK,MNK,SHM,ENC,MAG,BRD and played around in the noob grounds of Crescent Reach to get familiar with how everything works. I am going to make a group on Test and plan on being a completionist.
Here is the comp I am am planning on. SK, SHM, BRD, 3x BER
I do however have an alternate idea that depends on a couple things.
This alternate idea is SK, CLR, BRD, 2x BER, BST
I only want to do this alternate group if a few conditions are met. I just don't know enough about all the classes capabilities.
1. How are BST buffs and debuffs compared to SHM? I know they wont be as good, but how far behind in areas like Melee buffs and Slows.
2. If I go with the BST I wont need the SHM so I could change it to CLR. But this presents another concern. Once I get to mid levels and start making stationary camps, I will pull with the bard. When not in camp the CLR wont have any mind candy. This isn't a big deal with the SHM cause of Canni. OR.... Am I better off pulling with SK regardless? He just wont have Lull.

First of all, either of these groups are viable so don't stress over that too much.

Beastlord and shaman buffs diverge more as the game goes on. A group with both is an ideal situation in a raid melee dps group. Beasts 'Fury' disc line is a unique and fairly significant boost to melee groups. Beastlord slow is nearly the same as shaman's in slow percentage, which is heavily mitigated these days anyway (so not the monster of a spell it was in days gone by). Beast's Ferocity line is also unique to beast and quite significant for melee classes. - However dropping shaman entirely you do completely lose out on shaman proc line and the Shaman Unity line which means you're lacking Mammoth's Strength and Preeminent Foresight entirely. Not the end of the world, but worth noting.

I pull with my tank unless it's a particularly difficult pull, and SK's are very capable pullers if you're splitting by hand. Also, don't discount beastlords mana regen capabilities, too. The paragon/focused paragon line got really good over the years. Cleric's quiet prayer line is also a significant mana boost. With bard, beast, and cleric all utilizing their mana tools, you shouldn't have significant mana issues in normal grinding conditions. (Before you get all these tools, you'll likely have some med time, though. Mid levels fly by these days, so this won't be a problem for too long unless you intentionally slow down your leveling. Test has permanent double exp, too)

Your alternate group is a lot of people around here's normal, every day group that just tears things to pieces. When I was first starting on RG, I made a FTP 6 box to get my bearings that was this crew except swapping SK for pally and even never leaving the confines of FTP it was an incredibly capable group. As far as meta melee groups go, you're not going to do much better than either of those groups, honestly.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to type out such a detailed and thoughtful reply. After reading, I think group 2 is looking pretty good. Just wish there was a way to fit in a SHM for those melee buffs. I may just make a 2nd group with a SHM and a few other classes to buff my main group. Would probably be a good idea anyway for when the day comes to take on multi group content.

I've spent the last few days learning a bit about VV. I made a team of SK,MNK,SHM,ENC,MAG,BRD and played around in the noob grounds of Crescent Reach to get familiar with how everything works. I am going to make a group on Test and plan on being a completionist.
Here is the comp I am am planning on. SK, SHM, BRD, 3x BER
I do however have an alternate idea that depends on a couple things.
I only want to do this alternate group if a few conditions are met. I just don't know enough about all the classes capabilities.
1. How are BST buffs and debuffs compared to SHM? I know they wont be as good, but how far behind in areas like Melee buffs and Slows.
2. If I go with the BST I wont need the SHM so I could change it to CLR. But this presents another concern. Once I get to mid levels and start making stationary camps, I will pull with the bard. When not in camp the CLR wont have any mind candy. This isn't a big deal with the SHM cause of Canni. OR.... Am I better off pulling with SK regardless? He just wont have Lull.
I think before making all these decisions maybe decide which chars/accts are going to be paid (subscribed) and which will be FTP. That consideration is probably more important than anything as melee classes will be far less efficient in non-prestige (free-to-play FTP) gear than caster classes.

Food for thought...no matter what consider popping a krono on all @ 110 for aa's autogrants and to max aa's. Then you should always sub your tank

Last edited:
I think before making all these decisions maybe decide which chars/accts are going to be paid (subscribed) and which will be FTP.

He mentioned he's playing on Test server - All accounts are gold on Test, so this won't be a problem for him. 100% worth considering if not playing on Test, though.

He mentioned he's playing on Test server - All accounts are gold on Test, so this won't be a problem for him. 100% worth considering if not playing on Test, though.
Thank you sir for pointing that out.
And to an-image, thank you for the concern. The community here at RG is just so helpful. :)

Good point, he'll eventually venture out to live...might as well learn how to think that through on the first pass. A lot of people fall in love with their melee's...only realizing at the end...that it's expensive to keep them all going. I know I learned the hard way...

I ran sk, shm, brd, zerk x3 (all max) for 6 months.. was solid, great group.. on advice from RG people, put a bst in instead of 3rd zerk.. hell of a jump.. 20% to group DPS, 35% to burns..
The game is designed around trinity (tank, healer, CC) + 2dps + rando ADPS... while there are off the wall, niche things, if you follow the layout (min/max) its alot easier..
that being said, play what you want to.. can have a min/max group, but if it becomes a chore to play.. why play..

Bst will bring mana regen and attack buffs. he and his pet can slow. I have read that bst is great for mana regen. Don't worry about cleric mana in general they are way op when it comes to turning mana in to hp. When it comes to pulling make sure you control you songs. Songs can crab or cause argo. Technically when pulling you should use echo aura and before you fade stop singing.
sham
Bst
87Spiritual ValorIncrease ATK by 111
Increase Max HP by 778

Focus of EmiqIncrease Max HP by 1607
Increase Current HP by 1607
Increase STR by 153
Increase DEX by 153
Increase STR Cap by 153
Increase DEX Cap by 153
84Spiritual EdificationIncrease Current Mana by 20 per tick
Increase Current HP by 20 per tick
79Spirit of Tala'TakIncrease Movement Speed by 85%
Increase ATK by 300

Savage FerocityIncrease STA by 85
Increase ATK by 305
Increase All Resists by 90

Thanks a lot to everyone that submitted their thoughts.

I made my group last night. I was struggling on picking races until I realized on Test, after I get into later levels, race doesn't matter.
This is what I settled on.

SK - Human - Bertoxx
SHM - Barb - Tribunal
BRD - Human - Agnostic
BER - Barb - RZ
BER - Barb - RZ
BST - WE - Cant remember the deity

Thanks a lot to everyone that submitted their thoughts.

I made my group last night. I was struggling on picking races until I realized on Test, after I get into later levels, race doesn't matter.
This is what I settled on.

SK - Human - Bertoxx
SHM - Barb - Tribunal
BRD - Human - Agnostic
BER - Barb - RZ
BER - Barb - RZ
BST - WE - Cant remember the deity
wrong race is the only thing that matters in fashionquest

Just now reading up on this thread. I like both of the OP's groups and either will do great in currently or past content.

I however, Have the current setup:

SK, Cleric, Shm, Rng, BST, Brd

Is there any downfalls for this melee group? I did this group since I use to 3box a RNG(my Main), SHM, BRD

My group so far is

SK, Clr, Shm -> my old 3 box crew. I have mained SK,Clr, and druid

The addtions I made where Zerk, Wiz and Brd. So far it has been pretty easy but I may end up swapping wizzy with another melee. I do like me some ports though. We will see.

Just now reading up on this thread. I like both of the OP's groups and either will do great in currently or past content.

I however, Have the current setup:

SK, Cleric, Shm, Rng, BST, Brd

Is there any downfalls for this melee group? I did this group since I use to 3box a RNG(my Main), SHM, BRD
You have Tank/Healer/CC covered, so no major issues. But if you are looking to change anything, you do have some duplication - Cleric and Shaman overlap, as do Shaman and Beastlord. I would keep only one healer and add a DPS:
- if keeping the Cleric, drop the Shaman
- if keeping the Shaman, drop the Cleric

You have Tank/Healer/CC covered, so no major issues. But if you are looking to change anything, you do have some duplication - Cleric and Shaman overlap, as do Shaman and Beastlord. I would keep only one healer and add a DPS:
- if keeping the Cleric, drop the Shaman
- if keeping the Shaman, drop the Cleric

This is true. I raid on my ranger and have always used him for TANK in group content. So I added the cleric back in EoK EXP to help with heals. Only recently added SK because Ranger is still a papertank at heart lol. It was hard for me to give up that tank role, But Rangers can only do but so much! haha

Question - Group Comp Feedback Please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back