• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Graphics Card to run 6 toons on 1 cpu (1 Viewer)

RedCents
61¢
I am looking to run my 6 box on 1 cpu instead of 2. I am upgrading from 4gb of RAM to 16, but I don't know what to do about my graphics card.

I currently am running with an EVGA 8400 GS 1gb DDR3. I want to get a new card that will run the 6 toons with no issue, but am not looking to break the bank.

Any suggestions?

I think you'd find your existing video card will work just fine after you upgrade the machine to 16GB of RAM. But it really depends what video options you choose for EQ. If you want everything turned on with particles, shadows, and lighting then you will need a better card.

Just go to newegg.com and check out the "best sellers" for video cards. Then buy whatever matches your budget. Since you already have an Nvidia card if you stay with that brand you'll have less issues to work out with driver upgrades. If you switch to an AMD card you'll want to Uninstall all your Nvidia drivers first before doing the final shutdown to swap out the cards.

You might need to run this tool first if you switch brands... https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Also consider buying a 1 yr license for the mq2eqwire plugin for $10. This plugin stops "back" EQ screens from even rendering, so it only uses graphics power for the EQ screen you're looking at. You can still tab between the screens as needed.

I had a clunker system the could barely run 2 EQ instances and would crash if I loaded a 3rd due to the graphics card overloading. With eqwire, that same computer runs 6 toons now.

I highly suggest looking into picking up a GTX 970 (or 980 if you want to splurge a little). This is still a fabulous card for any level of 1080p gaming. I run games like Monster Hunter World, Black OPs, and Witcher 3 on one of these with all settings maxed and no issues whatsoever. Though I probably will upgrade once the next gen comes out and prices come back to normal levels. You can find them on ebay for under $100.

Question - Graphics Card to run 6 toons on 1 cpu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back