• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - getting booted to server screen (1 Viewer)

spudz90

CASH GRAB
RedCents
70¢
As it says, I'm getting booted randomly while using KA. I run 4 accounts on one computer and every so often, one of my accounts gets pushed to the server screen. sometimes it might be two accounts.

I'm on a server that has no inactivity booting, plus i think when that happens you first get booted to the player screen, not the server select screen.

I'ts random on what account gets booted.

It might happen in twenty minutes or in 5hours.

Thought I would bring it here before i head to the EQ forums for help

As it says, I'm getting booted randomly while using KA. I run 4 accounts on one computer and every so often, one of my accounts gets pushed to the server screen. sometimes it might be two accounts.

I'm on a server that has no inactivity booting, plus i think when that happens you first get booted to the player screen, not the server select screen.

I'ts random on what account gets booted.

It might happen in twenty minutes or in 5hours.

Thought I would bring it here before i head to the EQ forums for help
Some random issues going on. With all of the changes to everything it gets harder to diagnose. I have had a few toons over the last few weeks just randomly lock up. Still in game but not responding. The easy way I find them is in the task manager, it's the only account not using any hard drive activity. On a couple occasions I have had windows just crash and reboot.
Other things to consider, is the computer getting hot, is memory going bad, video card overheating or going bad. Best way is to eliminate things one by one.

Some random issues going on. With all of the changes to everything it gets harder to diagnose. I have had a few toons over the last few weeks just randomly lock up. Still in game but not responding. The easy way I find them is in the task manager, it's the only account not using any hard drive activity. On a couple occasions I have had windows just crash and reboot.
Other things to consider, is the computer getting hot, is memory going bad, video card overheating or going bad. Best way is to eliminate things one by one.
computer running fine. when i play without MQ2 i have stayed on for days with no issues when i park my crew. My computer is not even a year old. My computer doesnt crash, just random accounts go to server screen.

i'm on Rizlona, where 99.99% use MQ2.

usually if its a timed inactive server you get booted to character screen, not server screen, unles that changed
rizlona is not a truebox server, so no, that's not a server I was asking about.

if you want to be pedantic, 0% of people use MQ2 on rizlona, because it is just MQ these days =p

char screen definitely times out sometimes, are you just timing out at character screen?

rizlona is not a truebox server, so no, that's not a server I was asking about.

if you want to be pedantic, 0% of people use MQ2 on rizlona, because it is just MQ these days =p

char screen definitely times out sometimes, are you just timing out at character screen?
it goes directly to server screen, bypasses the character screen. I just wanted to see if others were having the same issue, if not then must be on my end. None of my guildies have this issue and we are open on our discord page about MQ.
its never happened on a live server for me.

May or may not be related, however I thought I would share.
I recently upgraded my memory (about 3 weeks ago). Adding 2 more sticks of 16gb bringing my total to 64gb. I thought I would be able to manipulate the bios and change the memory speed to match the new memory at 3200. As the memory I had in the computer was suppose to be DDR 3200 but only running at 2400.
I installed the new memory and changed the bios to 3200 and all was well. 64gb of memory and running at 3200mhz. I had a fairly noticeable increase in load up speed and software speed.
Moving ahead about a week later I had some unexpected behavior with Everquest, toons logging to character select, toons freezing. It was mostly just one toon at random and once my computer just restarted. I chalked it up to running 30 toons and didn't think much of it. Then it happened again a few days later. And again.
I started digging into the crash reports in windows. The only information it would provide is Blue Screen and that windows had suddenly shutdown unexpectedly.
After further digging I found some log files with memory access errors. Then it dawned on me that it was most likely a memory issue. I removed the two original sticks of memory and added two more of the same upgraded memory and haven't had a single issue.

So even though my computer ran great and everything checked well. The memory was trying hard, but It only took one read error from memory to crash the whole system.

This took me back to a time years ago when I was having similar issues with EQ and it ended up being a bad stick of memory.

I think I might be having a similar issue. I just built this new PC and it should run EQ amazing even 54 boxing. Ryzen 7950x, 128 gb of ddr5, nvidia 4070 ti, 2 980 samsung m2 drives etc.

It will run fine for awhile then my PC locks up. I am going to do a memory test.

I think I might be having a similar issue. I just built this new PC and it should run EQ amazing even 54 boxing. Ryzen 7950x, 128 gb of ddr5, nvidia 4070 ti, 2 980 samsung m2 drives etc.

It will run fine for awhile then my PC locks up. I am going to do a memory test.

I just built a ryzen 7 system.. and this has to be the WORST platform in all my years of building for poor memory compatibility.. I've read alot of people saying to stay only at 2 dimms on any of these DDR5 boards, and even 64 gigs and lower.. I was wanting to do 64 or 128 but I ended up just getting 32gigs (16x2) .. and even with that, I had to take the first 2 different sets of ram (diff vendors, corsair first try, and gskills second) back to the store to replace for something else.. and they were all listed as compatible on the motherboard's site..

THEN i start messing with timings and the EXPO settings.. trying to get it stable, and still fast enough (I got ddr5-6000).. dont know how many times i needed to factory default my mobo due to locking it up.. man this was NOT a fun build lol

May or may not be related, however I thought I would share.
I recently upgraded my memory (about 3 weeks ago). Adding 2 more sticks of 16gb bringing my total to 64gb. I thought I would be able to manipulate the bios and change the memory speed to match the new memory at 3200. As the memory I had in the computer was suppose to be DDR 3200 but only running at 2400.
I installed the new memory and changed the bios to 3200 and all was well. 64gb of memory and running at 3200mhz. I had a fairly noticeable increase in load up speed and software speed.
Moving ahead about a week later I had some unexpected behavior with Everquest, toons logging to character select, toons freezing. It was mostly just one toon at random and once my computer just restarted. I chalked it up to running 30 toons and didn't think much of it. Then it happened again a few days later. And again.
I started digging into the crash reports in windows. The only information it would provide is Blue Screen and that windows had suddenly shutdown unexpectedly.
After further digging I found some log files with memory access errors. Then it dawned on me that it was most likely a memory issue. I removed the two original sticks of memory and added two more of the same upgraded memory and haven't had a single issue.

So even though my computer ran great and everything checked well. The memory was trying hard, but It only took one read error from memory to crash the whole system.

This took me back to a time years ago when I was having similar issues with EQ and it ended up being a bad stick of memory.
RAM upgrades should always be modules of the exact same specs. Probably want to go a step further and only ever use RAM sold as a kit without ever mixing and matching individual modules from different kits, even if they do have the same specs (ie if you want 64GB, buy a 64GB kit, don't combine 2x 32GB kits in the same machine).

I just built a ryzen 7 system.. and this has to be the WORST platform in all my years of building for poor memory compatibility.. I've read alot of people saying to stay only at 2 dimms on any of these DDR5 boards, and even 64 gigs and lower.. I was wanting to do 64 or 128 but I ended up just getting 32gigs (16x2) .. and even with that, I had to take the first 2 different sets of ram (diff vendors, corsair first try, and gskills second) back to the store to replace for something else.. and they were all listed as compatible on the motherboard's site..

THEN i start messing with timings and the EXPO settings.. trying to get it stable, and still fast enough (I got ddr5-6000).. dont know how many times i needed to factory default my mobo due to locking it up.. man this was NOT a fun build lol
I wish I had known this I would have went Intel instead. Turns out with 4 sticks it shits the bed so I guess I am limited to 64 gb.

I'm happy with the upgrade. 40 toons running like a champ.
View attachment 47877
Damn, how are you getting your EQ to run with such low memory? Mine uses about 1 gb per client.

I wish I had known this I would have went Intel instead. Turns out with 4 sticks it shits the bed so I guess I am limited to 64 gb.

Damn, how are you getting your EQ to run with such low memory? Mine uses about 1 gb per client.
In a nutshell, Purging the memory of unused data. When you load up EQ it loads about 750 mb per toon, 700 mb of it is useless cached data.

job employees GIF

@RogueDeus prepping his box team…

@Cannonballdex If you'd rather not go into it, I won't ask again, but would you mind explaining, or linking to a resource, that explains how to get your EQ Clients that thin? Nothing I've found gets it below about 900M. All bells and whistles on, and it's about 1.2G.

If you don't want to hijack the thread, maybe I can start a new one?

Lots of information available online about purging the memory of unused data. You can set up task manager to run or manually run commands. This is not supported by me and I just don't want to be the one responsible for anything that might go wrong with someone else system.

I liked the Idea but had an uneasy feeling downloading an EXE file from the net from a, for me, not already known source. But once I got the Idea, I rememered a tool called RamMap. At ages offered from a team called SysInternals (which, when I got them to know, where indipendent) which now is part of Microsoft. In the Microsoft Store you can find "Sysinternals Suite" published by Microsoft, which contains the latest version of RamMap. Reading the documentation I was happy to see, that meanwhile RamMap got extended with command line arguments:

1685109531993.png

so now you can create a desktop-shortcut and just modify the "target" line adding the parameter " -Et" at the end like
1685109702719.png
which you can trigger whenever you feel like its time for a swipe,

or create an automated task the way described in the youtube linked above by @Mad Scientist using the same command line parameter " -Et"

That way, for those using Microsoft products or have already heard about the tools from sysinternals, you can stay within already known publisher.

Edit: after reevaluating I came to the conclusion that "-Et" would clear the file-chaches, while "-Ew" would be the right parameter to reduced the processes memory use.

Last edited:
Problem - getting booted to server screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back