• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Getting Beat Down 55+ (1 Viewer)

RedCents
200¢
Hey All,

Since I've started playing again everyone here has been incredibly helpful so thanks for all the advice so far!

I'm 6 boxing (SK, Mage, Enc, Wiz, Sha, Clr) and it's been going great. I've stuck to the Hot Zone Daily Quests for leveling and then explored, quested, worked on Epics,and other things after knocking out the daily quests. I've made it to 58 but after last week's patch I've hit a wall and could use some advice.

The 55 and 60 quests changed to Riwwi and Barindu and my tank is getting beat down faster than I can heal in Riwwi (doable but takes forever and if I get a couple of adds then I'm done) and Barindu simply isn't happening (especially compared to Blackfeather Roost which was going good). Even the anniversary quests are beating my tank down. I'm guessing the problem is these are newer zones so the mobs hit harder and my gear isn't great since I've been using only what I can find or afford from the Baz. Also, I'm still FTP and was hoping to make it further before cycling subs for autogrant but maybe it's time.

Is there something different I should be doing to level?

Is there a good place to farm to get Defiant gear for my level?

Is it time to sub my tank for autogrant?

Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Baz for missing defiant gear spots, otherwise, just what you pick up as you go, defiant drops everywhere.
If you have higher level chars, you can farm better defiant that you crew can still use.

GoD mobs do hit pretty hard, I'd think about heading to Luclin or PoP for this level range.

Your tank at a minimum should be subbed imo. Healer really should be too. What is your gear like on them?
Tank's gear is mostly Ornate Defiant followed by Flawed and a mix of other Defiant levels with teh cloak, shoulder and belt being from the 50-55 daily quests.

The biggest gap is the Primary. Still using the good ol' MoSS becasue I haven't had any luck in getting defiant weapons.

Baz for missing defiant gear spots, otherwise, just what you pick up as you go, defiant drops everywhere.
If you have higher level chars, you can farm better defiant that you crew can still use.

GoD mobs do hit pretty hard, I'd think about heading to Luclin or PoP for this level range.
Sadly, no higher level chars. 60 was max when I left so nothing high enough to make a difference.

Sadly, no higher level chars. 60 was max when I left so nothing high enough to make a difference.
Just have to grind through
Just have to ensure tank gets best gear, and find easier places - I do tend to do Luclin progression for toons 50 - 60. And some Tier 1 and 2 PoP.
Don't forget the shoulder pieces from the Hot Zone quests. (edit: cant read)

if you're fighting in that expansion, and you're under 65, you're going to have issues. That expansion was hard FOR level 65's at the time due to it being over-tuned. It was originally intended to be a level up expansion, but then they cancelled that part of it.

As others have said, Riwwi and Barindu aren't in the kindest of expansions.

Crypt of Decay (CoD) is a decent option at that level. You can get into Bastion of Thunder (BoT) and Plane of Fire (PoF) at 62, which has been many people's go to grinding spot for years, but I actually prefer Splitpaw around that level range. All of those zones offer decent vendor trash drops for money, as well.

Right around 60-65 is where you'll really see a huge boost in tanking from autogrant aa's (not that you wouldn't see benefit prior to that, of course), so I would hold off on that just a bit longer if you can.

I like LDON's. They scale to your level, kinda, for example:

• 53-57 get a level 55 adventure with mobs of average level 50
  • 58-62 get a level 60 adventure with mobs of average level 55
  • 63-67 get a level 65 adventure with mobs of average level 60
  • 68-72 get a level 70 adventure with mobs of average level 65
Keep in mind that even after level 65 they can still be done and get exp because there is a normal version and a hard version. Many players still do them for the forage and drops that cannot be obtained elsewhere.

So to do LDON you need to get your"adventure stone" This is a aug for your charm that will last you many many levels. You do not get the stats you see right off the bat and it will take a lot of adventures to get to those but its something a lot of us still use in our charms today. It also activates the Magus in the lobby to offer you 5 more zones to port to.

They modified the starting point twice in its history but since your guys are all F2P you should be able to go to Vladnelg Galvern on second floor in Cresent Reach. Use find for alchemy supplies and he is sitting in a chair near that. Go thru his text.

Next you need to go to any of these "Adventure camps" : These are easy to get to thru POK stones or the Magus in the lobby. If you use the Magus in the Lobby before your have your stone she will take you to Neadrias (sp) Landing. Just say Neadrias to her - then that Magus will send you to one of these. Just ask. After you are done the Magus in the lobby will then offer the full list.
  • South Ro - Selephra Giztral
  • Everfrost - Teria Grinntli
  • Butcherblock- Vual Stoutest
  • East Commonlands - Barstre Songweaver
  • North Ro - Ruanya Windleaf
So pick a zone, and go up to the NPC recruiter named above for that zone. Engage in text and they will ask you questions. They are always in the same order- Here are the answers:

Adventures - favor journal - Morden rasp and farstone. Bingo! You have your stone. Stick it in your charm (if you have one)

This is the simplified version of how to do this, yes there are a lot of other verisons online but they do get confusing. :)

Once you have your stone you can then ask for your adventure in any of those zones and travel to the instant zone. They are usually quite close. You have 30 mintues to start and about an hour to complete it.

The starting NPC in Cresent Reach would be different on TLP - then it would be someone in your hometown.

Barindu and Riwwi from the GoD era are massively underconned for their level. In era even lvl 65's had their work cut out for them in these zones. I'd put them in the same realm as Tier 3 PoP for difficulty (Bastion/HoH)

At 60 with full defiant gear and autogrant you should find them quite doable.

Intricate and elaborate defiant should be enough stats to get you to where you need to be.

Some zones you could try are:

Acrylia caverns - will have defiant and Ts drops to make cash
LDoNs are very good up through 70
Possibly Dranik scar missions
greigs end
Bloodfields

LDON and Bloodfields are my favorites of this list

Last edited:
Tank's gear is mostly Ornate Defiant followed by Flawed and a mix of other Defiant levels with teh cloak, shoulder and belt being from the 50-55 daily quests.

The biggest gap is the Primary. Still using the good ol' MoSS becasue I haven't had any luck in getting defiant weapons.
You should really be looking at finding some Intricate and above by this point. But agree those zones aren't the best either. I spent a good amount of time in CoD farming mobs around these levels as The Steppes was a good jump up from Blackfeather.

Keep in mind that even after level 65 they can still be done and get exp because there is a normal version and a hard version. Many players still do them for the forage and drops that cannot be obtained elsewhere.

So to do LDON you need to get your"adventure stone" This is a aug for your charm that will last you many many levels. You do not get the stats you see right off the bat and it will take a lot of adventures to get to those but its something a lot of us still use in our charms today. It also activates the Magus in the lobby to offer you 5 more zones to port to.

They modified the starting point twice in its history but since your guys are all F2P you should be able to go to Vladnelg Galvern on second floor in Cresent Reach. Use find for alchemy supplies and he is sitting in a chair near that. Go thru his text.

Next you need to go to any of these "Adventure camps" : These are easy to get to thru POK stones or the Magus in the lobby. If you use the Magus in the Lobby before your have your stone she will take you to Neadrias (sp) Landing. Just say Neadrias to her - then that Magus will send you to one of these. Just ask. After you are done the Magus in the lobby will then offer the full list.
So pick a zone, and go up to the NPC recruiter named above for that zone. Engage in text and they will ask you questions. They are always in the same order- Here are the answers:

Adventures - favor journal - Morden rasp and farstone. Bingo! You have your stone. Stick it in your charm (if you have one)

This is the simplified version of how to do this, yes there are a lot of other verisons online but they do get confusing. :)

Once you have your stone you can then ask for your adventure in any of those zones and travel to the instant zone. They are usually quite close. You have 30 mintues to start and about an hour to complete it.

The starting NPC in Cresent Reach would be different on TLP - then it would be someone in your hometown.
I gave this a go tonight and it was great. Thanks for walking me though this

Barindu and Riwwi from the GoD era are massively underconned for their level. In era even lvl 65's had their work cut out for them in these zones. I'd put them in the same realm as Tier 3 PoP for difficulty (Bastion/HoH)

At 60 with full defiant gear and autogrant you should find them quite doable.

Intricate and elaborate defiant should be enough stats to get you to where you need to be.

Some zones you could try are:

Acrylia caverns - will have defiant and Ts drops to make cash
LDoNs are very good up through 70
Possibly Dranik scar missions
greigs end
Bloodfields

LDON and Bloodfields are my favorites of this list
Thanks! Will give these a try soon

I would go directly to the Hole at 58, drop off the cliff right when you zone into Paineel from Toxx. Once in the water below, swim your guys out just over the left lip of the pond but not too close to the rock formation at the bottom of the hill there because the gargoyles you'll want to kill will aggro through the door. Once all toons are out of the pool, have the team on chase mode and move tank to door (pile of rocks). Gargs will aggro you and open the door and you can pop through. They're on a quick timer, with 2 random wandering mobs that will swing through as well. You can farm a ton of plat there with almost zero effort because of said quick respawn timer. It's quick to get there from PoK, it's quite safe, good plat, intricate defiant drops. Will be a great place to hunker down to get that xp, plat for upgrades and some key AA's and generally to establish yourself for the next little bit.

This is great info. Had no idea LDON scaled that high. Tucking this away into my personal arsenal as lately I have been having a very strong desire to start from scratch on a new server, probably Bristlebane.

You do NOT have to sub yet at your level range. Sure it will make your life easier, but like several have already said you can go to zones that have easier mobs. keep in mind that higher level mobs are not always the best exp. you might find that killing light blues will net you faster exp than trying to kill even, yellow, or red cons. It is all about the kills per minute. To give you an example, my current crew I am working on is 2 paid and 4 ftp. All are at least 115, but I still grind in ToV. I can kill ToV mobs at about 2.4 per 1 ToL mob. So the exp is slightly faster in ToV, and guess what it is a heck of a lot safer. Remember dungeons give exp bonus so try and find places like that to hunt. Also remember that BFR can still be good exp in the mid 60's although it will be boring. Like several have already stated your gear priority needs to be that tank, if the tank dies the rest follow fast.

Hey All,

Since I've started playing again everyone here has been incredibly helpful so thanks for all the advice so far!

I'm 6 boxing (SK, Mage, Enc, Wiz, Sha, Clr) and it's been going great. I've stuck to the Hot Zone Daily Quests for leveling and then explored, quested, worked on Epics,and other things after knocking out the daily quests. I've made it to 58 but after last week's patch I've hit a wall and could use some advice.

The 55 and 60 quests changed to Riwwi and Barindu and my tank is getting beat down faster than I can heal in Riwwi (doable but takes forever and if I get a couple of adds then I'm done) and Barindu simply isn't happening (especially compared to Blackfeather Roost which was going good). Even the anniversary quests are beating my tank down. I'm guessing the problem is these are newer zones so the mobs hit harder and my gear isn't great since I've been using only what I can find or afford from the Baz. Also, I'm still FTP and was hoping to make it further before cycling subs for autogrant but maybe it's time.

Is there something different I should be doing to level?

Is there a good place to farm to get Defiant gear for my level?

Is it time to sub my tank for autogrant?

Any thoughts and/or advice is greatly appreciated.
@Braldar bastion of thunder till 70, then dragonscale hills farm to 80, 80-85 could be walls of slaughter

Question - Getting Beat Down 55+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back