• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Gaming is good for you....at last! (1 Viewer)

Deafdumbandblind

RedCents
I picked up this article:

BBC article on why gaming is good for you

At last we can all come out of our "I'm a pc-gamer nerd"-closets and loudly proclaim that we were right all along!

I had a hard time understanding the article at first because it isn't specifically about WoW but after much diligence the words started to make sense.

One bit really pissed me off from the get-go:

Professor Talmadge Wright and colleagues at Loyola University, Chicago, have spent hours studying Counter-Strike culture by taking part in games, interviewing players and reviewing text files of in-game banter.

You're telling me it's these guys jobs to play CS for months on end? Mutha-faakaas!

But then I found myself thinking "Ah bless" at some of Professor Talmadge-Wright's quotes because they were so naive and nerdy.

Eg.
"The most common emotion when people are playing is laughter," said Prof Wright.

You mean: "lol"??

And:

But, said Prof Wright, it was a mistake to think that this meant that gamers were misanthropists.

Wassa "misanthropist"??? :confused:

furthermore:

It was often obvious when teenage boys were playing, he said, because there was much more trashtalk and sexist or homophobic insults flying around.

You mean "Barrens chat"?

In fact as I read through the article and this teefal-heads remarks I started having the sneaking suspicion that this was a feeble attempt at a troll by the BBC.

I mean look at the Professors name: Professor Talmadge Wright? Talmadge?? Isn't that a little bit similar to "Tall Mage"??

Why I aughtta.....

Clever people don't play video games cos they take them out of context.

P.S. LOL1!11 That means I just laughed in real life. In my office. Fact.

Gaming is good for you....at last!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back