• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Game Worth Buying? (1 Viewer)

RedBema

A Bema that is Red
RedCents
121¢
There is no general section to place this in, nor is this forum really up and going yet so....

I saw Vanguard in the store yesterday and was curious as to if it is worth buying or not. The game looked cool, and I know that in the beginning stages that games have alot of bugs, but does it look like it is going anywhere?

I think This game really is the next gen, Yes there are a fair share of bugs but they are working hard to fix these things and to tell you the truth I dont mind most of the bugs annoying at times yes but I feel my experience with this game has been very pleasing. I like the game play. . .Crafting is actually something u have to learn lol

I would like to see what others say but this game has my vote for sure

This game certainly feels like a pay to play beta atm, but it is most certainly the most fun beta I have ever played.

I can only echo the sentiments here its buggy but on the other hand its very enjoyable its not all about look at me uber 001 warrior with time epic gear can kill all its so much different.

The general body of people are kinda like old eq1 family not your mmo asshole that have come up over the last couple of years also the crafting and diplomacy give the game a new take a whole new outlook as to playing so yes its worth a look its fun and the people like i say are kinda old eq1 style with nothing to much trouble attitude towards helping.

I think this is where EQ should have gone instead or releasing EQ2.

Its great fun, although if you want sweet graphics you should probably stick to WoW.

The playerbase as was said already has a really old school eq feel to it.

Its definately a beta product, there are sooo many bugs. But its great fun and there is really a great spirit to playing it.

Thanks guys. I may consider purchasing it.

I love WoW and have been an avid player for a while now, but quite frankly, even with the new TBC Xpac, I am kind of just not interested anymore.

I want something just a little different.

Mind answering some questions?
1. As for dying, do you have death debt? or is it like WoW where it is just annoying to die.
2. What about PvP? Is there a "good" side and a "bad" side?
3. Level Cap?
4. Playable Races?
5. Environment?

I know that I could probably go to the official site to figure this stuff out, but hey, that is what the forum is for right? lolz, jk. Seriously though, any help would be appreciated. I would love to switch over if it is worth it.

The world from what I have seen looks incredible. That is a huge plus for me. But another big thing is the playable races, and if there is a good pvp base.

Thanks again guys.

1. As for dying, do you have death debt? or is it like WoW where it is just annoying to die.

You have to find your tombstone, which is like a corpse. If you find it you loose like 2% only or something. Other than that, if you dont find your tombstone its 10%ish. The good news is that you can bind equipment to your soul, so when you die you pop back with all your gear.

2. What about PvP? Is there a "good" side and a "bad" side?

PvP from the EQ devs ?

3. Level Cap?

4. Playable Races?

Giants and Halflings, need i say more ?

5. Environment?

Involves horses a lot past level 10. You can ride a Camel. I think eventually you can also buy your own ship... wheee!

You can build your own ship

Death is not bad.. It does involve corpse runs, if you dont get a rez.
Your corpse will be marked in your quest location book for recovery.

I have not played in the PVP section, but VG was not originally designed for PVP.. So I have no idea how it turned out.. Its just not my cup of tea.

Environment is huge! OMG, I want the flying griffon again..
There are teleporters to help you get from continent to continent.

There are two PvP servers. There's a Team PvP server where there is a good/bad side to play as. There's also the server I play on, which is Free For All PvP. After you reach level seven, you can be attacked by anyone at anytime. It is really fun and allows for in game player driven politics. I love it!

Also, there's no dumb in game mechanic that prevents you from talking to players from "the other side". I'm glad that you can talk to anyone. I hate artificial limitiations in PvP, especially the launguage barriers in EQ2/WoW.

I love this game, but do not have the time to fully get into it. I'm prolly go back to WoW due to the casual atmosphere. Gonna see if any of those sites are buying accounts yet. Only got to lvl 22 with 5g, maybe buy BC with the profits =P

Dont play Vanguard until you have dual SLI cards running. It's a waste of money unless you have the hardware to support it.

It's the same mindset they had with EQ....get the fans in immediately, in 2 years hardware will catch up and people will play it.

But what about 5 or 6 years? Oh, we'll just sell the game to someone else and start shelling out expansions. They did it once, it's not too unreasonable to believe it will happen again.

I do about 120FPS on duo 7900's. But it works the cards over big time.. I started getting heat warnings last night :P

jstbilly said:
Don't need SLI.. I run 60+ FPS average with a single card.

Yeah, but what do you have the graphics set on? I have a 6800 Ultra and I could get a high fps with low graphics...there isn't THAT much better out there, and I had to turn them all the way down. I can't see any single card being able to turn graphics all the way up and handle it. I can't see it happening.

Its set to balanced. Mainly all default settings. There are are a lot of tweaks that I suppose can increase my FPS. People are reporting if you use on-board sound, it will decrease your FPS also.

I use a 7950GT for a card. No complaints with Gameplay. I will SLI it once I find some spare funds, but its not neccessary yet.

Hmm, I'm trying to decide whether or not to get VSoH too, and had a small question. In EQ and to a lesser extent EQ2, there are camps for quest mobs and rare loot, and I was just wondering if there are a lot of long camps in V:SoH? Not that I didn't love camping placeholders for hours on end in old EQ ;) , but was just curious if anyone knew?

there is a bit of everything in VG But i think for the most part they tried to do away with the long camps for a rare mob and a rare item.

someone PM me the game requirements, i have a 512mb graphics card (radeon x1300) you think i can get decent FPS? Im overclocking at like freaking 135% or something.

a x1300 might be a tad slow but should work ok if you turn down some of the graphic settings; i'm using a 1950 pro and have most all graphics turned all the way up with no real problems.

I played for 2 months and quit after spending a ton of money for a better video card and a new power supply. If you like a to bash and kill this is not a game for you. I hated the trade skills and diplomat crap.

I spent a few dollars updating my computer to play and after I did I was sorry that I spent the money. I like to smash and burn stuff, I didn't like being forced to use logic and crafting. In my humble opion there has to be something better.

Wow,

Thanks for all of the tips everyone. I hate that you all spent the money and then didn't like the game.

The overall opinion seems like it is more logic or puzzle than spank and tank style. Plus, you have to spend alot of money to even be able to play the game.

Overall = teh suck!

It is set up so you can adventure or craft or get into diplomacy. 3 different areas you can get exp in. most of the folks I know just do the adventuring. there are lots of quests to get exp and you can just go kill mobs. was very hard to get a group til they merged the servers. now there are only 4 servers and more people online and getting a group is easier, but still have to try for a while at times depending on what level you are. you can get gear for any of the 3 spheres of gameplay. as for the corpse run, if you can get back to where you died you get almost all the lost exp back. if you cant get to it there are alters where you pop after you die. you can summon the corpse right there but any exp lost is lost for good if you summon it. once you get used to the game you can usually fight back to where you died. you can invis and loot it also to avoid fighting if you have that spell.
You can have boats to get around continents and a house and they have guild halls now that look like castles. most of this stuff seems to take alot of work or coins. a guild hall takes diplomacy to get a permit and alot of work from the guild that builds one. I had to upgrade my graphics card. I had a great card for eq but only got 3 fps in vanguard had to wait a week before I could play waiting on the card lol. This game is kinda like eq eq2 and wow all rolled into one. it is different from everquest in alot of ways. I wish we could share birthday cake or milk and cookies or get drunk like in eq but hey what can you expect. Thats probably why I keep my 2 everquest accounts lol.
money is fun. you always feel boke. 1p is a tone of coin in this game right now. mobs drop coppers to start and then silvers and quests pay the same way at least to level 25. I havent seen a quest yet that pays out a gold. take 100 coppers to make a silver 100 silvers for a gold and 100 gold for 1p. takes a while. But f you use the exchange brokers you can buy and sell things you need or wont need. selling items to other players on a broker helps get more money faster. I am enjoying the game now and its fun feeling like a newbie again after being in eq almost 7 years.

Some of the opinions above are severely innacurate.

Diplomacy is NOT required

Crafting is NOT required

Adventuring is NOT required

The game has 3 spheres so you can pursue what YOU enjoy doing, anything from hack and slash to logic puzzles to a pretty indepth crafting system.

The only real negative to VG is the low population and the system requirements for "better" graphics. Population is a problem you are going to find in any new game. No matter how you look at it, every game has bugs, exploits and hacks these days, so this isn't the problem no matter how much people want to whine about it. The real problem is there are far too many choices when it comes to what game to play. So everyone is game hoping expecting to find perfection which simply doesn't exist and never has.

VG actually has a lot of what gamers want, people are just impatient and unrealistic. VG is immature at this point but is moving along nicely, especially with the raid content being introduced shortly.

For me, population plays a huge role in a game.

If I had to choose between an awesome game and a low population, and a semi-awesome game and a high population, I would probably take the semi-awesome game as long as it was something that I enjoyed.

That is why I went back to WoW from LoTRO.

Game Worth Buying?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back