• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

For Developers (1 Viewer)

thez

RedCents
210¢
Hey folks. My name doesn't pop up here nearly so much as it did a few years ago, but I'd like to think that there are a few of the developers here that still remember me.

Anyways...I'm writing a thesis paper for my degree (comp sci, of course) about computer security and plan to use Everquest to show the evolution of the hacker community and the effect that it's had on the game -- and vice versa. I've got a few questions of different types to ask, but don't have anything specific that I'd just like to post up here.

Anyways...if you're one of the people who helps with code updates for patches, developing new hacks or working on our old favorites, or helps run this page (or others of this sort), and would be interested in answering some questions for me in the next few weeks, please send me a PM. I'm also trying to compile a list of some of the major hacks that came along. Obviously, I can remember the designs for the packets involved in plugins like Ghost / Warp etc, but I can't always recall older plugins, like CastAll, or the ones that would let you get into chat channels, or crash zones. To be very specific, I'm really only interested in the black hat plugins that have been specifically targeted for nerfing -- I'm not really trying to get people to reveal what they're currently doing (because a paper about that sort of things could potentially land me in trouble).

Thanks for your time!
-thez

Thez! How you doing? 'bout time you finish up that degree! I've got compiles going back to 2004 :D Send me thy questions ....

Funny. I just wrote a 10 page type Reseach Paper on "How To Avoid Identity Theft on The Internet". I have done extensive research the last eight weeks on this topic. Give me your social security number and we can discuss this further :)

The real fun topics will be obfuscate stuff. When SOE did that it made for a fun time!!

Yeah I did get an "A" at least. If I can help discuss things like finding offsets and some of the great scams I caught in EQ ....like the old "Hey, It's me" one where someone gets another person's account by pretending to know them. See that a million times. One time half my guild got taken by it about 6 years ago. Nothing major taken or lost as rollbacks fixed things but still. I noticed hey why isn't so and so in the chat channel? Then people were warning about 1 guy, then another and soon 10 ppl got taken. Sad.

Good to see ya Thez. Hope all is well. I am back in college and working fulltime.

Last edited:
Im not a dev but I too remember you. Good to see you are still around. Hope your paper goes well

- decker

Heya TheZ, of course we remember you. Hell, you were the one that started me on compiles.

Hiya TheZ, long time no see. If you're still needing answers to questions, pm me :)

For Developers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back