• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Follow Command Auto Breaking (1 Viewer)

RedCents
7,735¢
Suddenly today when I tried issuing a /follow command on one of my toons (any of them actually), auto follow will break just when I hit enter to issue the command. And the character seemingly moves slightly sideways when it breaks. I tried using /follow and /afollow commands. Both do the same thing. Anyone know why that may be happening? I am lost on this one.

Edit: Actually what I see happening is that instead of the character moving slightly (it does but not the way it was appearing), if I stand back and hit /follow, the toon will move up to the followed character and then immediately just stop following. If I try to follow when I'm close to the other character, it seems to move just slightly and then break follow. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
MQ2AdvPath intercepts the follow command by default. When you are using AdvPath and you issue "/follow" it will turn slightly to the left in order to "break" the default follow and use its own pathing for follow. If you then begin moving with the character that you are following, you'll see that you are now following them (despite the message).

The /afollow command doesn't do that movement to the left (unless you were already on follow) but will behave the same way.

I recently changed AdvPath so that you can use the in game follow command while advpath is active (without advpath taking over), but that requires issuing the command to do so. Regardless, the symptoms you're reporting here seem like normal behavior (unless you tried moving and found that the second character was not following the first).

MQ2AdvPath intercepts the follow command by default. When you are using AdvPath and you issue "/follow" it will turn slightly to the left in order to "break" the default follow and use its own pathing for follow. If you then begin moving with the character that you are following, you'll see that you are now following them (despite the message).

The /afollow command doesn't do that movement to the left (unless you were already on follow) but will behave the same way.

I recently changed AdvPath so that you can use the in game follow command while advpath is active (without advpath taking over), but that requires issuing the command to do so. Regardless, the symptoms you're reporting here seem like normal behavior (unless you tried moving and found that the second character was not following the first).
I suppose I did not make that clear. No, the character would not follow the other when I was issuing the commands. Meaning I could run away with target character, and following character would just stand there. Also to be clear, it used to always work until recently. Maybe a couple weeks ago it doesn't work anymore like it used too. Either way, I am fine using RGMercs chase.

I suppose I did not make that clear. No, the character would not follow the other when I was issuing the commands. Meaning I could run away with target character, and following character would just stand there. Also to be clear, it used to always work until recently. Maybe a couple weeks ago it doesn't work anymore like it used too. Either way, I am fine using RGMercs chase.
I'd still like to fix it if there's an issue, but I tested it and I'm not having that issue. What is the output when you do /afollow? Do you have MQ2AdvPath loaded? (/plugin mq2advpath)

I'd still like to fix it if there's an issue, but I tested it and I'm not having that issue. What is the output when you do /afollow? Do you have MQ2AdvPath loaded? (/plugin mq2advpath)
It merely states the standard following verbiage with the red string of text that you can fall into stuff, hit walls, etc... whenever executing the following command at first. But then directly following that, it gives the standard verbiage of "No longer following etc etc'. I can get actual pictures later. But I think you know what I am talking about. No other text is displayed. And yes MQ2AdvPath is loaded. This has worked for a long time until recently. Nothing in my system has changed. Even for good measure I set all this up on my laptop with the same result as well. :shrug: . If somehow both of my systems have developed an issue, I am not sure what that is yet. Let me know if you want those screenshots.

Well, it turns out I was mistaken about something. I had thought /follow didn't work on my workstation and also on my laptop. But I guess it just doens't work on my laptop. I did move to my laptop with the setup but it was actually to troublethoot another issue. And I think I also thought /follow also didn't work on my workstation. Sorry for the confusion there. So I have something messed up on the laptop I guess. Not sure what. I will check the output on the laptop later. All I merely did on the laptop was install the RG Launcher, and download everything from there to use it. So not sure what could have gone wrong.

Problem - Follow Command Auto Breaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back