• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Feelings About the Game (1 Viewer)

RedBema

A Bema that is Red
RedCents
121¢
So, now that the game has been out for a while, and we have lost that "zomg, this game is the pwnorz" type initial feeling, how is everyone feeling about the game now?

At level 50, how is the end game content? I remember striving to get to 60 for a long time in WoW, and it seems that the leveling up in this game is very easy. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Basically, now that we have had a chance to get to know the game, how do you feel about it? In comparison to EQ, WoW, etc., how does it match up?

Just curious is all. I have noticed that some members have already dropped the game so I was curious as to how most everyone felt about it.

Well, I personally love the game. I really like DDO when it came out, but it really lost it's luster to me after awhile of nothing but pure instanced based playing. I have purposefully not joined a kinship or many fellowships just to see how far I can go and how fast I can solo up to 50. I've played every class, but I think my hunter is my favorite. As for comparing to EQ, I am still an EQ nut and raid almost all the time. To me, there really is no comparing the 2. They are 2 really different types of playing. Of course, EQ though would still have the advantage just in pure content. I'm not sure there are many other games out there that have the content amount that EQ has.

As for the PvP side of it, I personally like it. It's a different way to go about it. To many though, that was a let down to them.

I really like to try to solo alot of fellowship quests, just to see how far I can go or even get them done. Sometimes, they are not really fellowship if you take the right tactics into it. There are some solo quests though, that actually should be a fellowship quest.

All in all though, I really like the game. It seems to be everything I wanted out of DDO, but could never get.

I really like the game, loved the books and the movies, so this makes it even more exciting to me. I am going to go back and reread the books next week on vacation. I find there are still some unbalanced issues in the game but I guess as far as comparing it to EQ, or any SoE game this by far exceeds what SoE did with Vanguard. I just wish people would have stayed and made alts or something and not left so hastily. I think LOTRO is going to have a serious player base issue when other new games come out, it is already a bitch to find a group for things as it stands now. I used to play games with that mentality (hit max level do end game stuff or quit if it sucked), but I like the interaction and the times I have had groups I have gotten cheers from others (as a Burglar).

Would be nice to have more friends play and be around my level. I am trying to get another friend from MMO to come over, he has a level 39 or 40 Lore-Master, but does not play as much as me. He used to joke with me how often I switched classes, but I was trying to find my favorite class/race combo. I played a Minstrel to 31, then a Hunter to 26, and other classes at least to 10 before giving up and finally settling on the Burglar. My ONLY regret is that I am wishing I made a human for the 3k heal once an hour, but being able to FD, or have the added Hope once an hour is also nice.

This game is NOT for everyone. I tried to get friends from Vanguard to come over, but they hated it as much as DDO (which I gave up on too). The few people from MMO that quit also had some hardcore level 50 characters and left also from lack of post 50 content after a while as well. They never helped anyone in the guild with shit, which kinda pissed me off. I like to at least get a hand here and there (thanks to a few level 50's in the guild the other nite got that Final Quest in Evendim done).

I don't know.

When the game came out, it was like I was all about it, on fire to play everyday. But now, I find it hard to log in sometimes. Not sure why. The same thing happened to me in WoW a few times. Maybe I just get bored too easily. At first, the game was everything that I wanted in an MMO, but now, I find it so frustrating to have 10 fellowship quests, and then never be able to find a fellowship. Most "solo" quests require some help. It really is impossible to solo 3 waves of 3 men when defending a man or whaterver. I don't claim to be an uber player, but I know that I am decent, and as a Champion, which supposed to be one of the elite dps classes, I just can't seem to mow em down fast enough. "The champions best defense is a good offense." Well, I think that it needs some tweaking.

Not to mention that when you are trying to get from point A to point B, it is like going through a freaking unpenetratable fortress. Even on a horse, you have to try to miss all of the bears, wolves, and men that hang out EVERYWHERE, who constantly attack you, and knock you off of your horse. I don't know about you, but I find it really annoying when I am trying to run on the path, and I get attacked by everything, even deer.

It's just kinda losing it's luster to me. If it wasn't "Lord of the Rings," I probably wouldn't be around any longer. I absolutely love the idea, and I don't "hate" the game. I am just frustrated with some of the things in it. Sometimes, I just want to solo some stuff, and I can't. Finally, after I do solo what I can, I can never find a group, and then the group sometimes sucks... well, most of the time sucks unless it's a kinship one.

I think it just lacks alot of content. Everyone is doing the same quests to reach 50, as to where in WoW or EQ, one can choose between 3-4 or more different zones to level. LoTR just doesn't offer alot of instances to go to. I would really like it if they had places to go to where you can fight bosses and earn awesome armor and weapons. Bosses don't drop crap, at least from level 1-40 they havn't.

Anyways, I know myself enough that I will be okay. Maybe I just need a little break or something. I have found that my funnest times were with Creed and his wife. When we three teamed up, I had a blast because we could get the stuff done together, and level together. But once they surpassed me, I am now alone, and can never find any help.

My friend plays CoH (City of Heroes). I used to play it a long time ago. I actually thought about going back to it today. I don't know. Maybe online gaming doesn't do it for me anymore. Maybe I am just doing the same thing that I always do, get flustered, leave for a couple weeks, then come back, get flustered, leave for a couple weeks, come back, etc.

I don't plan on leaving, I just feel like when I log in, I don't have that "excited" attitude, but almost a "here we go again" type attitude. Guess we will see in the future coming days. Again, don't think I am leaving, I have no unction to do that, I just havn't logged on as much as I used to, and I wanted to share some thoughts that I was having.

And Czarman, I had the same problem with making a character. I played alot of classes before choosing the champion. A burglar may be my next character.

I am leveling a Lore-master on my second account. I think he is all of 5 or 6 (just finished the instance). Maybe we can make 1 or 2 nights a week an ALT night? I would be game. I also have an ALT level 50 Lore-master that I originally started and gave up on, because I hated trying to farm his Trait pages, and I also had him PL'd poorly and would prefer to learn the class properly.

RedBema said:
And Czarman, I had the same problem with making a character. I played alot of classes before choosing the champion. A burglar may be my next character.

Burglars really become nice after 30, till then it is tough. The class quest is the MOST scariest of any class. You have to stealth past 32-35 level Orcs to get a sword in the very back of their camp, if you are seen you can use HiPS but it has 10 min refresh. It is a great way to learn how Diversion works. I actually have redone that quest for fun (using the pool). Awesome +2 Stealth cloak with like 18 fate as reward is not bad either.

But yeah the most serious problem is that there are very little soloable quests post 40. I actually soloed that one with all the trolls I think it is Book 4 Chap 5 where you go into the deepest area of the caves. As a burglar it was fun sneaking by all those elites and all. What level are you? I am a late-nighter, I used to actually be in an end game Aussie guild years ago on EQ.

I'm in the same boat as RedBema is, for the first few weeks, I was excited to play, and was having fun. But after I got past the starting zones, finding groups really became a pain.

Pretty much all the cool things that are in the game now are mostly the epic chain quests, and most of the quests are all fellowship quests, and I could not get a fellowship for the lower quests if my life depended on it, it was horrible.

So I decided to try and level up, well, I found you need to join a fellowship to get 3/4 of the quests done, unless you just want to grind to 50.

And, once again, I could never find a group.

So, I just gave up on the game, it's a good idea, but I just don't find it has enough to keep me going. The first quests are done well, then once you get to your mid 20's, I just got bored of the same quests, dealing with the same things over and over again. If that is how it is the rest of the way to 50, I just lost interest in the game, and I couldn't get interested again, even when I took breaks from the game.

Then I found out there isn't very much to do after you reach the max level, and I just lost the desire to get to the max level.

And PvP? I don't like the monster play, if I wanted to level and gear another character, I would make a new one.

I like the game so far. I've been having similar problems with reaching a roadblock in the quests that demand a fellowship department, but I've decided that I'm going to put aside the ghosts of bad pickup groups in other MMORPGs past, and make an honest effort to group with people.

I think with so many of us playing on the same server, we should be able to get a game night going once per week for catching up on quests. What'd you say to that? Wednesdays are good for me. ;)

I have a few questions:

1. What is there after level 50 to do?
2. I am guessing that they did add more content in that "Shores of Evendim" patch. Alot of people were originally complaining about the lack of content 30-40, but I have not found any real problem besides the already mentioned fellowship one.
3. I have begun to notice armor sets, but how do you obtain them besides from the Auction House? Are there level 50 raids? If so, I bet that they are a PAIN to get enough people for, not to mention actually complete if you are in a PuG.

And in response to Czarman's request as to having a night a week to play alts, I will definatly do that, but I already barely have time to play my main, so I really want to focus on that one. I do want to level up an alt, but I personally like to do it on my own time. Designating one night a week just may not work with my schedule.

In response to RedLotus's request, I think that that it would be great to do something like that, but again, I am not sure how good that would work for me. Most of you guys have alot of time to play, but I pretty much only have a couple of nights a week, and only a couple to a few hours on each of those nights. I do my best to level during those nights. If I was 50, then I would not mind logging on to help others level, but since I rarely have time to play anyhow, I try to use it to level.

My ultimate goal for our original kinship was to have a nice webpage, to where we could discuss stuff like this, but since the merger, I have pretty much lost any say in how our kinship is run. Don't get me wrong, TWC is a great kinship, very nice people, always willing to help out, but I hope that they get some organization as to kinship meetings, instance raids, etc.

RedBema said:
Anyways, I know myself enough that I will be okay. Maybe I just need a little break or something. I have found that my funnest times were with Creed and his wife. When we three teamed up, I had a blast because we could get the stuff done together, and level together. But once they surpassed me, I am now alone, and can never find any help.

I am always there to help if you or anyone else needs it ;)...though you're never on anymore it seems :( ... i have no problem helping anyone as long as you don't ask me while i'm in the middle of another group...besides that I'm usually game for anything whenever :)

And as to the game...i share a lot of the same concerns...though i'm not getting bored (mainly because i like to explore as well so i'll just go running around sometimes...)

The need for fellowship quests is my one main issue (aside from the loot that bosses drop)...I can get a better weapon from my lvl45 class quest than I can get from the END GAME BOSS -THOROG ...that is just rediculous.

But like the devs have said...the game is new (what...2-3 months now??)...they know about all these problems...and have said a lot of them will be taken care of in the Chap 10 update (august sometime)...so don't give up...yeah the game is a little slow at the moment...but they are working on it...just gotta find something else to do in the mean time...

I went to the level 5-15 area the other day and helped all the lowbies...that was fun :)

RedBema said:
I have a few questions:

1. What is there after level 50 to do?
2. I am guessing that they did add more content in that "Shores of Evendim" patch. Alot of people were originally complaining about the lack of content 30-40, but I have not found any real problem besides the already mentioned fellowship one.
3. I have begun to notice armor sets, but how do you obtain them besides from the Auction House? Are there level 50 raids? If so, I bet that they are a PAIN to get enough people for, not to mention actually complete if you are in a PuG.

My ultimate goal for our original kinship was to have a nice webpage, to where we could discuss stuff like this, but since the merger, I have pretty much lost any say in how our kinship is run. Don't get me wrong, TWC is a great kinship, very nice people, always willing to help out, but I hope that they get some organization as to kinship meetings, instance raids, etc.

1. Help lowbies and do crappy end game instances where there is little vendor fodder, or good drops...to even attempt to cover the repair bill

2. I haven't hit any lack of content yet at all..yeah...some annoying quests...but i still haven't run out of anything to do..almost L46

3. The one actual 'class set' for each class only comes from Helegrod right now (the end game 24 man raid instance)...but they are bugged and only a few classes items drop...and at a horrible rate...though again...these issues will be fixed in August...so the dev team says...and so far they've been true to their words on fixing stuff.

and about the kin...i think the same thing...though once more of us are L50 we might start actually planning stuff out...hopefully...if not...I might just form a new kinship with our own values...i'm like you there bema...i like things to go my way :) (or 'our' way)

I asked the same question here http://whitecouncil.phpbbnow.com/viewtopic.php?t=261

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys talk about your kinship alot. PM me with what server you are on. If you are on the same server as me, I might like to join you guys and help out when I can.

So did you guys all quit? Haven't seen you all on in a few days. Max people I have seen on for this guild is like 5 lately, but my hours are PST.

I decided to move on. I don't see much happening in the guild, and you guys are never on. I am applying to The Revenant since they seem to have a goal in mind and tend to group more often. I have reached 47 and am getting like 20 RAID quests now, would be nice to make a stab at them one day. Any way hope to see you guys on when RL calms down.

Ya, I don't blame ya.

Good luck, we'll see ya around. I am sorry that it didn't work out. Creed is outta town for a while as was I.

I really loved the game at the start. Five of my guild mates came over and we really had a blast till we hit the mid-30s. I can't put my finger on it, but it was like all the air went out of the balloon and all of us to a man stopped playing. No one communicated to each other that we were quitting it just so happened that everyone hit their "Unfun" level at the same time.

LOTR could just be the victim of MMORPG burnout. We've played WOW since early '05 and barely hanging on in the game. Our guild is split between Conan and Warhammer. I'm holding out for Starcraft 2 for a fresh change.

I hit my "unfun" level around mid 30's as well. I am currently level 39, and really have lost my desire simply because I am so busy. I would play if I had the time but, I just really don't, for now at least.

I think that the game will grow more. I don't have any plans on completely quitting right now, just for now.

I've seen some of the Brethren on Meneldor. Is that the Redguide guild? My guild is Pizza Delivery of Middle Earth and we have been in suspense for about 2 months. We're thinking about starting back up. I'll say hi if I see you online.

nope, we aren't the Brethren...we used to be though...

we don't really have an official redguides guild...just some of us all in the same guild (along with other non redguiders)

Feelings About the Game

Users who are viewing this thread

Back