• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Excited about upgrading my old pc!! (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,264¢
All I do is play eq on my old machine so it’s fine that it’s outdated but I’m going from 8 to 16gb of ram and adding a Ssd card to replace my old hdd…. Don’t know a whole lot about what the ssd speeds mean but I’m sure it’ll be faster than my7 year old hdd lol.

running 5 toons takes forever to load/zone currently so the nerd in me is excited to see how much this cheap upgrade helps my eq experience. Will probably start running an actual full crew too!!

All I do is play eq on my old machine so it’s fine that it’s outdated but I’m going from 8 to 16gb of ram and adding a Ssd card to replace my old hdd…. Don’t know a whole lot about what the ssd speeds mean but I’m sure it’ll be faster than my7 year old hdd lol.

running 5 toons takes forever to load/zone currently so the nerd in me is excited to see how much this cheap upgrade helps my eq experience. Will probably start running an actual full crew too!!
I waited a long time to jump on the SSD bandwagon. Here are some things you can expect.
Downloading to the SSD will be infinitely faster than downloading to your old HDD.
Windows boots in seconds.
Loading games in general is faster.

When I had a regular HDD I would download at 10-15 megs a second tops. When I download to my SSD I download at 80mb/s (your results may vary, based on the speed of your interwebs and the SSD you choose)
Fresh install of windows, no added stuff at startup. Turn on PC, sitdown, start navigating windows...quite literally that fast.
Due to the increased data rates, accessing the information on the harddrive is faster, which increases pretty much everything you do with your computer.

Memory - I don't know what OS you're on, but 8gigs is like bare minimum. An increase to 16gigs will definitely help. I'm using 11.9 gigs right now and I don't have any games loaded. I do have other things that another user might not have loaded. Like Stream Deck, Oculur VR server, nord, dropbox, steam, discord, nvidia broadcast etc. Both sound like solid upgrades for you.

Not sure how old your hardware is, but try and go M.2 SSD instead of SATA SSD if your motherboard supports it. Better performance in most cases.

But regardless you will see a definite improvement.

Hello, I just upgraded my PC. Everyone is right. You can see a big difference right from the start, from boot to getting everyone in game. All six of my toons when zoning take around 5 seconds and all are zoned over to the next one. I went with the I-7 Raptor Lake processor: was on sale. 32 GB ram and the graphics I got the GTX 4080 TI card. Holy cow I never seen such detail with all affects turned on. The SSD like ChatWithThisName said is super fast transfer rate. Coming from and older CPU and a GTX 1660 super and a HHD was a super upgrade. I think my old PC thanked me for doing that. I cannot really say I went the cheapest route, but wanted to feel like I did not have to upgrade for a few years.

Update, received my Ssd and ram… i saw under disc management I can backup my files To my Ssd does that mean I could then use it to play eq or even boot from it then? Sorry for the noob question !! And thank you for your time

Hello, Yes you can do that and recommended. The SSD will be your new go to drive, install windows and your games there. Use your HHD as a back up if you desired. The SSD will improve load times on everything. When accessing data the SSD is so much faster response time. Give it a go, you will see and love the difference.

my personal recommendation is get two 512ssd, 1 where you install windows and programs, and 1 where you install games like eq and what else you might play, the improvement in speed is gonna blow your mind.

my personal recommendation is get two 512ssd, 1 where you install windows and programs, and 1 where you install games like eq and what else you might play, the improvement in speed is gonna blow your mind.

Do you have any objective measures that two SSD's ( one for your OS + one for your games ) is faster than a single SSD?

When we were using hard drives the difference could at times be noticeable.

Modern NVMe SSD's are so fast it takes a lot to saturate the drive / controller.

ssd improvement in speed, not that he runs 2 drives, but the 2 drives is for stability, if gaming drive goes, he still have system drive, if system drive he still got gaming drive.

system ssd, gaming ssd, hdd for lstorage of documents and what not.

Update, received my Ssd and ram… i saw under disc management I can backup my files To my Ssd does that mean I could then use it to play eq or even boot from it then? Sorry for the noob question !! And thank you for your time

You didn't mention the capacity of your new SSD. If it is large enough you could clone your existing spinner to the SSD. Everything will work just as it is but will be much faster. Later, after proving your SSD is working well you could reformat your existing spinner and use it as an internal backup destination drive using existing Windows backup or File History options.

In order to prove the SSD is booting correctly you would want to disconnect the spinner temporarily. You might have to change a setting in the computer BIOS to ensure Windows is booting from the new drive and not the old.

My old hdd is 512 and my new Ssd is a Tera byte so I am would like to just transfer all my data over.. is the free software to do so trustworthy? Otherwise I will just try downloading a new version of windows 10 onto it via flash drive but can’t mess with it for about 7 hours when the family goes to bed ../cry

If you do a new install check out these videos. You can remove A LOT of the crap you don’t need with Windows 10. You’ll have a smaller and quicker machine. Plus if you remove what you don’t need you’ll use less RAM with less running in the background. It’s also kinda fun to do.

BB~

Not sure how old your hardware is, but try and go M.2 SSD instead of SATA SSD if your motherboard supports it. Better performance in most cases.

But regardless you will see a definite improvement.
Doc I love your setup but I would so curl up and fall asleep in your chair. My chair is comfortable but that is next level.

My old hdd is 512 and my new Ssd is a Tera byte so I am would like to just transfer all my data over.. is the free software to do so trustworthy? Otherwise I will just try downloading a new version of windows 10 onto it via flash drive but can’t mess with it for about 7 hours when the family goes to bed ../cry

The manufacturer of your new SSD will offer cloning software for free on their website. They might call it "data migration" or something similar. For example, Samsung offers

These packages are coded to work only with their own brand of SSD, so you'd have to find your specific brand.

The manufacturer of your new SSD will offer cloning software for free on their website. They might call it "data migration" or something similar. For example, Samsung offers

These packages are coded to work only with their own brand of SSD, so you'd have to find your specific brand.
Thanks bd. I ended up downloading a new version of win 10 pro but no idea where my windows cd key is so I’ll probably have to do the cloning if they want me to buy another windows license..

but everything seems to be running great so far! Had 6 toons loaded running through horrible tbm progression lol

Thanks bd. I ended up downloading a new version of win 10 pro but no idea where my windows cd key is so I’ll probably have to do the cloning if they want me to buy another windows license..

but everything seems to be running great so far! Had 6 toons loaded running through horrible tbm progression lol
not sure where you downloaded the win 10 from , but I bought mine from newegg and the win10 key came in an email .. also if i ever lost the email its on my purchase history on newegg so id always be able to get it ..
I would assume if you bought it from microsoft they would have something similar ..

Hello, I just upgraded my PC. Everyone is right. You can see a big difference right from the start, from boot to getting everyone in game. All six of my toons when zoning take around 5 seconds and all are zoned over to the next one. I went with the I-7 Raptor Lake processor: was on sale. 32 GB ram and the graphics I got the GTX 4080 TI card. Holy cow I never seen such detail with all affects turned on. The SSD like ChatWithThisName said is super fast transfer rate. Coming from and older CPU and a GTX 1660 super and a HHD was a super upgrade. I think my old PC thanked me for doing that. I cannot really say I went the cheapest route, but wanted to feel like I did not have to upgrade for a few years.
I just caught this. You forgot to mention your time machine. The 4080 TI isn't expected to launch until early next year.

Excited about upgrading my old pc!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back