• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - EverQuest Next is officially cancelled (1 Viewer)

Thank goodness.

There was no "Everquest" in EQ Next. They tried to sell us on a minecraft-mmo hybrid with EQ branding slapped on.

As EVE and WoW have shown, it pays off to put resources into existing communities. I don't see "EVE 2" or "WoW Next"

This may be a sign that DBG is smarter than SOE.

About freakin' time!

Completely Agree:
toots said:
Yay! Now fix your expansions and come out with a large expansion next.
Razkle said:
Shit, I hope this means more people to work on fixing EQ!
Redbot said:
As EVE and WoW have shown, it pays off to put resources into existing communities. I don't see "EVE 2" or "WoW Next"

This may be a sign that DBG is smarter than SOE.

DBG, "We just took over a smoldering pile of putrid waste called Evercrack, what do we do now?" Trim down the Fat?

TheFiddler

i am glad that they finally pull the plug on this game , it so reminded me of minecraft with a diablo type combat. i just hope they will toos a few more resources into everquest now.

I paid because I was actually excited about it. Hashtag still bad decision :(

I was excited too. I felt that it really would be the next big thing based on everything I had heard but even moreso based on the development time alone. I feel that a lot of the newer MMORPGs flop because there just isn't much to them, they always feel rushed and small in comparison to what older games had when they released. I know EQs original world was small but they threw two X-pacs at us lightning fast.

The fact that Next was in development for almost 10 years had me excited. It was canceled once, then resurrected and now it is canceled again. Maybe in another 5 years they'll resurrect it yet again. Ultimately as long as they keep the zones/quests/elements of the game that could work with any combat system/gameplay design they're ahead of the curve when they resurrect it again.

Good, now teach the eq next devs some c++ instead of whatever script language they used for the eq next crap, that executable was like 50 megs, I did not look forward to disassemble it each patch for a mqnext... and move them over to eq1 team instead and you have a win/win for everyone...

I was excited too. I felt that it really would be the next big thing based on everything I had heard but even moreso based on the development time alone. I feel that a lot of the newer MMORPGs flop because there just isn't much to them, they always feel rushed and small in comparison to what older games had when they released. I know EQs original world was small but they threw two X-pacs at us lightning fast.

The fact that Next was in development for almost 10 years had me excited. It was canceled once, then resurrected and now it is canceled again. Maybe in another 5 years they'll resurrect it yet again. Ultimately as long as they keep the zones/quests/elements of the game that could work with any combat system/gameplay design they're ahead of the curve when they resurrect it again.

Lol yah I think many have forgotten how long it was in development. I know I recall the first announcement of it back in 2008 or so , then the vision was scrapped around 2010 and Smedley quoted at FanFaire "going to back and redoing the whole project" and scraping it, guess after over 100 million dollars produced by EQ1 on other projects like this its easy to walk away if your customers have given you all that cash, don't forget FreeRealms.....

guess after over 100 million dollars produced by EQ1 on other projects like this its easy to walk away if your customers have given you all that cash, don't forget FreeRealms.....

That just makes me :mad:

Imagine if they put all the money EQ made back into EQ, rather than pet projects. Hell, imagine if they put 10% back in.

What it comes down to is looking at the risk vs reward and the projected ROI on a new project rather than placing the money in the current project.

Poor ROI projects have been: Vanguard I doubt they broke even though they might of and of course eq3/eqnext have been poor investments. Star wars galaxies is probably in the list of shit that had poor ROI

Sometimes their investments have been good, planetside / ps2 were good investments they make good money. H1Z1 looks like financially it will be good too.

People like to complain about EQ2 but it's a game that made profit too. The big problem with EQ2 is that it came out 2 or 3 weeks before wow and WOW was the better game.

It's really hard to make a compelling mmo that you get people to play specially when the market considers game X a failure if it only gets 100k subs but really there's tons of small companies that would cream their pants if they sold 100k copies of their games. With EQnext they wanted to have the IT factor and they tried to be way way to fancy then again we were not the target audience for EQnext so it doesn't matter that it was cancelled in the first place.

What I got from the videos of EQ:the Next Generation was that it would be pretty much a console type game. I think you got like one weapon at start and when you progress you upgraded that weapon or something like that.

It felt like a dumbed down EQ for the twitch generation.

As for EQ2, that felt like playing a spreadsheet with a gui interface that had EQ1 references and locations in it.

I will agree WOW was fun and massive when I started playing it, the expansion before the Deathknight came out. after cataclism I just gave up. WOW was great for boxing, but poor on MQ2 type things.

Looks like you can still pay the $100 to get your name in the credits. That should have been taken out immediately.

I don't know if they will put resources back into EQ, but I think they are seeing the cash cow being TLP servers. The Live Servers just don't see much love, but there is definitely some room to breath for EQ now. The one thing I worry about is the work environment at DBG has grown too hostile with all the layoffs and cancellations. When this happens, typically employees just stop giving a fuck, and we see worse results.

Now if I was in upper management, I'd pass the love onto the rest of the dev teams and give small raises across the board and implement some perks for those still left over. That would hopefully negate all the shitty morale from the layoffs and have the teams produce better results.

That all said, all this is very unlikely. I imagine the controlling powers will pocket all the profits made from the layoffs/cancellations, and drive morale further in the shitter. We will get a worse expansion if one at all, and see the game fold in a couple years. Hope I'm wrong, but a Russian based investment firm probably doesn't understand the first thing about how an employee feels about the company directly correlates to their work product. I don't blame the DBG employees, its just how the world works now.

I don't know if they will put resources back into EQ, but I think they are seeing the cash cow being TLP servers. The Live Servers just don't see much love, but there is definitely some room to breath for EQ now. The one thing I worry about is the work environment at DBG has grown too hostile with all the layoffs and cancellations. When this happens, typically employees just stop giving a fuck, and we see worse results.

Now if I was in upper management, I'd pass the love onto the rest of the dev teams and give small raises across the board and implement some perks for those still left over. That would hopefully negate all the shitty morale from the layoffs and have the teams produce better results.

That all said, all this is very unlikely. I imagine the controlling powers will pocket all the profits made from the layoffs/cancellations, and drive morale further in the shitter. We will get a worse expansion if one at all, and see the game fold in a couple years. Hope I'm wrong, but a Russian based investment firm probably doesn't understand the first thing about how an employee feels about the company directly correlates to their work product. I don't blame the DBG employees, its just how the world works now.

The one thing that gives me hope is that they're dedicating this summer to backend work on EQ. You wouldn't do that on a product you're retiring. Here's hoping they make it age as well as EVE.

News - EverQuest Next is officially cancelled

Users who are viewing this thread

Back