• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - Everquest Lifetime access! (1 Viewer)

I have been waiting for this, but now that it's here I just can't justify it. $300? Buying Kronos at $8 or even $9 each, that's 37.5 or 33.3 Kronos. As much as I love the game, I see half-assed expansions and ghost-town everquest communities (RG aside) and feel that this is a poor investment.

I had to ask myself: will the game return to a thriving state where developers aren't asleep at the wheel churning out 6-zone DLCs every year with fewer and fewer staff? Will I enjoy the game in 2.5+ years from now enough to justify simply breaking even from buying this lifetime membership? And of course, why are they offering this? Motives here seem murky...

It might not make sense but i would buy it for the love of Norrath. Most of us here spent YEARS in Norrath, why not shell out a life time for a mere cost of less than 3 years kronos? who knows, this might be a good financial boost for a better EQ? i could be wrong, i could be right.

ask folks who shelled out for lifetime on mmobugs, honorbuddy and a few other sites how that worked out for them .... and the other games that had lifetime that went belly up . seems risky to me ...

I had to ask myself: will the game return to a thriving state where developers aren't asleep at the wheel churning out 6-zone DLCs every year with fewer and fewer staff? Will I enjoy the game in 2.5+ years from now enough to justify simply breaking even from buying this lifetime membership? And of course, why are they offering this? Motives here seem murky...

They offered this a few years ago too. Some people said 7 years ago but that doesn't sound right to me... I think it was around TBM era

ask folks who shelled out for lifetime on mmobugs, honorbuddy and a few other sites how that worked out for them .... and the other games that had lifetime that went belly up . seems risky to me ...

Indeed. I got burned by Honorbuddy's "lifetime" access.

Also, Bossland is the most piece of shit company I have ever given money to in my life.

They cancelled all the honorbuddy's life time access cause they knew their bot was going under. They lost their legal cases. Then they still let people order 1yr/3yr access to the "new" Honorbuddy and folded the company only 1 year later.

Most shady and unethical business dealings I have ever witnessed.

Generally lifetime access deals smell really bad.

Either company is hurting really badly for cash or the best case scenario they are being stupid.

The best case scenario is that company stays afloat but they try their darnest to cancel the "lifetime" deal.

I know of many such cases with "lifetime" deals: US Chess Federation, some email providers, SaaS services etc.

Famously there was an airline which offered a lifetime deal in the 80s and sued the person who took them up on the offer.

What happens is that someone at accounting realizes how bad the deal it is for the company and then the Lifetime deal becomes "lifetime".

For once I am not the person reading into something deeply!

I don't think Daybreak is folding cause of the lifetime deal or anything bad is happening at all. I think they just want a bigger Christmas bonus.

Most people who buy the "lifetime" deal are probably people who come and go from EQ every few months. I can't picture this hurting their bottom line - if it did then years ago would have been the first and only time they ever offered the "lfietime" deal.

What probably happened is hundreds of people bought the lifetime sub who now never play, thus daybreak concluded they can easily profit off that.

Also, they're only selling 4000 Lifetime subs, which isn't that much -at all- in the big picture.

Likely a very good deal if you plan to play for 3+ more years and do nothing in game that could ever get you banned. Because once you've paid for a lifetime sub there is absolutely no incentive for them to not ban you.

Also the 4000 person limit is a joke. There's no way they would stop selling these. If, in fact, the deal disappears and they say the limit is reached we can all feel reassured about the longevity of EQ.

For once I am not the person reading into something deeply!

I don't think Daybreak is folding cause of the lifetime deal or anything bad is happening at all. I think they just want a bigger Christmas bonus.

Most people who buy the "lifetime" deal are probably people who come and go from EQ every few months. I can't picture this hurting their bottom line - if it did then years ago would have been the first and only time they ever offered the "lfietime" deal.

What probably happened is hundreds of people bought the lifetime sub who now never play, thus daybreak concluded they can easily profit off that.

Also, they're only selling 4000 Lifetime subs, which isn't that much -at all- in the big picture.

Exactly! the offer is limited in time and amount. Who cares about other games and their up and downs, i played this game for 16 friggin years so why don't i support it?! Even if DBG goes down, i know i'll find myself somewhere in an Emu server scavenging some old fun and nostalgia.

I bought one Lifetime card, considering another one right now. ;)

Likely a very good deal if you plan to play for 3+ more years and do nothing in game that could ever get you banned. Because once you've paid for a lifetime sub there is absolutely no incentive for them to not ban you.

Also the 4000 person limit is a joke. There's no way they would stop selling these. If, in fact, the deal disappears and they say the limit is reached we can all feel reassured about the longevity of EQ.

Aye, lifetime bazaar trader. Let them kronos flow!

maskoi and i figured out around 2010 or 11 that we felt they were around 11 to 20k on eq it was a long drawn out thing i cant remember how we came to the scientific conclusing but i do remember it making perfect sense :)

Agree with concerns about lifetime subscriptions (I'm dubious about my Plex lifetime sub) but the fact they're limiting it to 4k subscribers across all four games seems responsible to me.

Agree with concerns about lifetime subscriptions (I'm dubious about my Plex lifetime sub) but the fact they're limiting it to 4k subscribers across all four games seems responsible to me.

Doubt it’s really them trying to be responsible, but rather the old marketing ploy where a) limited time and b) limited opportunity means you MUST make a choice right NOW! Research clearly shows those ploys work, which is also why people trying to social engineer/scam you often do the same thing.

They offered this a few years ago too. Some people said 7 years ago but that doesn't sound right to me... I think it was around TBM era

Indeed. I got burned by Honorbuddy's "lifetime" access.

Also, Bossland is the most piece of shit company I have ever given money to in my life.

They cancelled all the honorbuddy's life time access cause they knew their bot was going under. They lost their legal cases. Then they still let people order 1yr/3yr access to the "new" Honorbuddy and folded the company only 1 year later.

Most shady and unethical business dealings I have ever witnessed.

DCUO had lifetime offer, January 2011, by June 2011 DCUO was added to all access. So 7 1/2 years give or take, haven't paid a sub for EQ since.

A Lifetime Membership usually is defined by the owner of the offer as its life is over when revenue starts to suffer. As in the case of Mmobugs and a few others as mentioned. Not for me!

Moot point now - all sold out. And it did give access to all the games not just EQ. I took advantage of it because I am looking in the other direction where they will raise the monthly membership fee to stay afloat. Upcoming 20th anniversary = now $20.99 a month - first raise in many years.

Hahaha ... marketing ploys to get people to buy ... (limited offer) ... and then once that’s tapped out you “bring it back” for another chance (second chance offer). I love it. Someone on the DBG team went to business school.

I had a Fitness chain offer me a lifetime membership, which was significantly cheaper than paying monthly / yearly. After I bought the membership the company was sold and the new owners wouldn't honor the lifetime membership. Several years later there was a court case and the new owners were forced to repay the people who bought the membership, but it was pennies to the dollar and ultimately not worth the trouble to have fought them over it.

Not sure what Daybreak is planning but a lifetime membership just before they announce their last expansion could be it. You'll get a lifetime of gameplay on a world they no longer maintain. Not saying that this will happen, but it could if it's like what happened with the Fitness company.

I did it for three reasons.........

- Support the game i loved for years.
- Save over $150 yearly on my 24/7 baz trader which i no longer buy expansions.
- Can play other DBG Games.

I remember when they made Vanguard F2P and announced a bunch of new devs on the team. Exciting times, I bought a big bunch of Station Cash and items, partly to support the game. Then a few months later they announced it was getting shut down :(

Daybreak is clearly positioning themselves to attract a buyer. They want to unload and retire to another project.

4000 Lifetime subs would nearly double their subscribers, and that would look really good on paper to investors or a rival company to buy out.

I mean look what happened to Blizzard.

News - Everquest Lifetime access!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back