• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - 64bit discussion (scheduled 2-15-2022 for live server) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
they've had some in the past few days since beta.

JChan talked about it > here < about it potentially being a thing in the future, but i suspect it would be a while out

scenario2: MQ doesn't work in x64.

switching to 64-bit doesn't fix that problem. thats a coding problem, not a process architecture problem.

What would the potential benefits be for the players base of EQ? A switch to 64 that is.

Access to more memory would be the first thing. Going 64bit would be bad for us though. MQ would be down for awhile, but they wont just change over night they will likely give a time table for the change letting people use 32bit or 64bit client before eventually only allowing 64.

Access to more memory is about the only thing but eq doesn’t need it.

Couldn't upgrading to 64bit facilitate some better graphic upgrades also though ? Maybe even upgrading the client to dx11 or 12 ? Giving them access to more memory might give them more options when adding/upgrading features in the game.

Couldn't upgrading to 64bit facilitate some better graphic upgrades also though ? Maybe even upgrading the client to dx11 or 12 ? Giving them access to more memory might give them more options when adding/upgrading features in the game.
No, you can do all that in 32bit just the same

So, access to more memory would lead to potential better linking of internal design (if thats even possible with the old code, but they can get rid of some by passing things into new 64 bit?) Tell me if I'm thinking of this wrong, but my first thought would be they can achieve a bigger global file for illusions and mounts and maybe better textures? All 3 are basically selling things. Good AND bad.

Yes it is a windows issue, I read something about future versions of Windows only supporting 64 bit applications, could be BS I don't know the full details.

Edit: seems to be only a restriction on 64 bit processors after a bit of googling and 32 bit applications will remain backward compatible... I remember jchan talking about it in an interview though...

Last edited:
for dx11/12 they need to rework the whole graphics engine and eq current is heavily customized. that amount of work is counted in years. don't forget it is not only the client it is also all the dev tools.

for dx11/12 they need to rework the whole graphics engine and eq current is heavily customized. that amount of work is counted in years. don't forget it is not only the client it is also all the dev tools.

Yes but they have to be going 64bit for a reason they have to see some kind of benefit in the future. Its daybreak here they're not spending the resources on this if its not needed right ?

Yes but they have to be going 64bit for a reason they have to see some kind of benefit in the future. Its daybreak here they're not spending the resources on this if its not needed right ?
Yes I agree, they would only be doing this if they see a benefit or need in it for them.

As they don’t mention it in the beta I suspect it is a side effect of their own testing at this point and likely a ways off. I also feel that they would likely give people time to switch although that last last but I am less sure of, not giving people time would seem like a stupid move to me though.

however, they appear to be at least trying to convert EQ to 64 bits; and I think that means we should consider what that means for us? I am assuming a large MQ rewrite? Making it a large obstacle?

Yes I agree, they would only be doing this if they see a benefit or need in it for them.

As they don’t mention it in the beta I suspect it is a side effect of their own testing at this point and likely a ways off. I also feel that they would likely give people time to switch although that last last but I am less sure of, not giving people time would seem like a stupid move to me though.

however, they appear to be at least trying to convert EQ to 64 bits; and I think that means we should consider what that means for us? I am assuming a large MQ rewrite? Making it a large obstacle?

Entire MQ rewrite i beleive.

Well one can read between the lines and see that if they are willing to put forth significant effort to update some of the fundamental code, it means they see no end in sight to EQ!

they are willing to put forth significant effort to update some of the fundamental code, it means they see no end in sight to EQ!
I hold hope (as most of us likely do) that its for the longevity of the game/company and its interest to add new features and better coding with newer software. Or....with Win 11 on its rise, they are knowing their 32 bit program is only some years away from being a functional program on any newer computers. Example by the time Win 12 comes out...could be 32 bit end. My old Surface is my only computer at the moment saying it will not handle Win 11, so I can see its end on Win 10. I'm simply saying, maybe they recognize if they don;t port it..it would be its end. Doom 64 and such continued an ancient game.

It's not going to be driven by Windows not shipping 32 bit versions since 64 bit operating systems can run 32 bit applications. Also, Doom 64 was named that because it was made for the Nintendo 64, the version that was released recently is just a remastered port of that.

Last edited:
@Knightly We got a Switch for my kids and I received an email that Doom and/or Quake is available for it, I am getting that for my wife for Christmas. :) When we met she fell for Doom 2 and I was like OH yeah shes my kinda girl.

We say memory aint an issue in eq and its not but if you do turn all the graphics and settings on it does use a decent amount. Maybe 32bit has limited them on stuff they can add because of memory limit.

Time to get caught up!

Greetings, Norrathians!

The time has come once again for my latest Producer's Letter. It's been an incredible year since we last touched base. You've gotten to know some of our new game designers and engineers, we've shared in the fun during a handful of annual events, we all saw the amazing success of the launches of Mischief and Thornblade—our Randomized Loot TLPs—and now we're venturing into uncharted waters with the pre-order and beta testing of our next expansion, Terror of Luclin.

If you're like many of us, your minds were blown when video game technology went from 8-bit to 16-bit. (Here's looking at you, speedy blue guy!) Personally, I'm very excited to finally and officially announce 64-bit clients and servers are coming for EverQuest! This was and continues to be a big endeavor and we plan to post an article about it soon. Just know that it's coming, and we're aiming for an early 2022 launch after the release of Terror of Luclin. (It will be coming to the beta server sooner than that, though.)

As many of you saw, we recently opened pre-orders for our 28th expansion, Terror of Luclin. All of us were proud of the new landing page our team members and partners helped create. If you haven't seen it, you can check it out here: https://www.everquest.com/terror-of-luclin. But what's most important to note is all of you. The response from you, our community, to Terror of Luclin has been nothing short of spectacular, and we sincerely appreciate all of the positive comments and feedback we've received.

One other important milestone for us is partnering up again with Extra Life to help raise funds for Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego. They really do make a difference in so many children's lives and on a personal note, they hold a special place in my heart for what they've done for my family. When we did this last year, we hoped it would go well, and all of you far exceeded our expectations. We're back at it again this year, and we'd love it if you got involved again. Give a donation or help spread the word—we just want you to be part of this again. You can join our Darkpaw Games team by clicking here. Fundraising will continue through the rest of 2021 but mark your calendar for November 6. That is Extra Life's official day to stream EverQuest and EverQuest II to help raise awareness.

Calling all artists! We're looking to hire some new talent in the coming weeks and months. We've got a lot of ambitious plans, and we're going to need some extra help in reaching our goals. If you're interested or know someone who might be, bookmark and keep an eye on our Careers page for updates.

Also rounding out the rest of 2021 will be the return of the Raid, Raid, Raid! event, a Black Friday and Cyber Monday Sale, Frostfell, and to get you ready for the holidays, a Winter Holiday Sale. Lots of fun still left to be enjoyed before some even more exciting things start to roll out in 2022.

Finally, server merges. While we're not prepared to officially announce specific server mergers because we are still gathering data on our end, just know that we're being diligent about them and will let you know any updates as soon as possible. Look for messaging around this in the first half of 2022.

From all of us here at Darkpaw Games, we deeply appreciate the years you've spent with us and we can't thank you enough for being a valued member of our community. You fuel us every single day with your passion. We know you have your choices, so thank you for spending your time with us as we get closer to 23 years strong.

Wait . . . there is a golden feather on the floor,

—Jenn Chan
Head of Studio

well.. seems they arent 100% taking.. putting some back in.. or just giving EQ enough life support to chug along for 10 more years of low cost/high profit.

This 64 bit thing.. better for resources on modern windows? but would gut MQ since it hasnt been planned or based for a 64 bit shift?

well.. seems they arent 100% taking.. putting some back in.. or just giving EQ enough life support to chug along for 10 more years of low cost/high profit.

This 64 bit thing.. better for resources on modern windows? but would gut MQ since it hasnt been planned or based for a 64 bit shift?

MQ would have to be rewritten from the ground up.

I guess its a not have to at this point its a has to since we know its coming.

I'll say it now..."one server to rule you all".

Not that I think their current architecture could do that.
Well, it does make the 64bit thing look logical.
MQ would have to be rewritten from the ground up.

I'm not so sure that's true. We had to move some lab software from 16 bit to 32 bit and it wasn't the end of the world and took about three months an a budget of 150k for an "off the shelf" lims system.

News - 64bit discussion (scheduled 2-15-2022 for live server)
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back