• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - EQ burnout (1 Viewer)

SomeTester

RedCents
924¢
How do you all deal with EQ burnout? I’ve got like 9-10 level 115 toons 6 of them, my main group, are max AA and great gear.

I can beat all the top CoV missions regularly. I feel like I’ve done everything I want to do. Starting nee toons seems lame to me. Redoing old progression again? Meh. I’ve done artisan prize on my main toon and and tradeskill-phobic so I’ll never do it again.

Am I just done with EQ for now? Like, what do I do? Lol

Sometimes a quick break can help, I usually start on a new server... something about building back up makes it fun. I also try working new classes, or modifing macros.

Sometimes a quick break can help, I usually start on a new server... something about building back up makes it fun. I also try working new classes, or modifing macros.
I was thinking a new class would freshen it up. I was never a fan of the beastlord in my group so maybe I’ll replace him and see what’s up.

I'd take a break: months, years.
Let my krono expire and try not to feel bad about it. If you keep playing through the burnout it may make you resent the same and your ability to control yourself to play it.

In the end it's a game we're doing to enjoy and if you're not enjoying it anymore I'd stop. As mentioned raiding helps me realize why I have more than a full group - all the support my raid main and help my guild accomplish things while having fun. With the bigger picture in mind when I finish up an expansion I'd take off some time on the other 6-7 characters and just leave my main active for raids.

Remember - it is a game. Don't let it rule your life. If you need a break, take a break. EQ is one unique game in that people keep coming back. It is also very individual. I won't raid since I raided during POP and still haven't gotten over those raids while mbiker11 uses raids in a positive way. I wish you well~!

Hi SomeTester,
I would say firstly just take an EQ break, find one thing that helps for part of the day, like another game, taking a half hour walk twice a day if possible, jump on Discord and chat with peoples (not necessarily about EQ), or some other hobby. Sometimes that break will help you love EQ again, because its there.. its in you.

If you want to stay playing, other things you could do (if you have not yet):
- Tackle on new type things such as take your grouping to new levels and start raiding as a team. Somewhat recently I have begun to find myself more comfortable with two teams going and a few others for support. I'm not quite ready for raiding, but I know it would "up" my game when I feel ready.
- Going over all your inis or grouping configs (from software to classes in groups) to strengthen your teams is often fun in its own right and definitely takes time.
- Use your knowledge of all the missions and group setups you have to write up (or video) some guides. Zone reviews, missions tips/strats for Level 2 members here is a great way to keep EQ fresh in a different way. I was a University teacher before my disability hit me, and I use the old saying of teaching others helps you learn new things from yourself and your students.
- Create small mini Events that you run, the way DP Guides do. Give out a prize and have a few of your characters (maybe build a few low level ones just for these) be set around Norrath so people have to go find them, do turn ins, etc..

:)

The funny thing is that this is precisely why DPG doesn't want people power boxing. You trivialize the content they create and get bored.

The funny thing is that this is precisely why DPG doesn't want people power boxing. You trivialize the content they create and get bored.

Better than not getting groups for weeks and months at a time and quitting out of frustration :)

Better than not getting groups for weeks and months at a time and quitting out of frustration :)
That is EXACTLY how I felt for so long before joining RG, my love of EQ brought me back, as its only Solitaire, EQ and very seldom some Minesweeper. Alt Tabbing got old fast, but I did it for awhile with a group. Once I took a deep breath and decided to do "the unthinkable" and try out a MacroQuest type thing that seemed too good to be true (meaning this very site, but from the mind of a player who always worried about MQ in general due to years of hearing it as the equivalent to Voldemort and the Emperor put together), I then felt I could breathe finally, and play with a 'group of players that wanted to play WITH me, would go break when I did, loved trying to do what I wanted to camp...and now.. I am the one feeling like I am the Emperor <3
giphy.gif

I rotate my games honestly. I'm in my 30s now...I would like to think I have a pretty good understanding of myself and my 'breakpoints' where I need change.

I usually return to EQ around this time each year, I play a month or two of WoW a year, I spend a few months playing Diablo 2 / 3. The rest of the time I spend with books or take a certification (class + exam prep) related to my field. I sometimes return to EQ in the late summer / fall.

I've never not gotten burned out. I get burned out on everything - just have to keep changing it up.

Last edited:
I rotate my games honestly. I'm in my 30s now...I would like to think I have a pretty good understanding of myself and my 'breakpoints' where I need change.

I usually return to EQ around this time each year, I play a month or two of WoW a year, I spend a few months playing Diablo 2 / 3. The rest of the time I spend with books or take a certification (class + exam prep) related to my field. I sometimes return to EQ in the late summer / fall.

I've never not gotten burned out. I get burned out on everything - just have to keep changing it up.
Same here. I’ve been playing a lot of Fallout 76 lately. The thing is that I specifically got a new computer with the intention of using it to box EQ more lol. Now I have this awesome PC and nothing installed on it but EQ haha.

Exactly the reason i started boxing.. was in a big guild and watching all the "cliques" power their way through content but no time for me to get in on it..

Just like mom's cooking if you gobble it up then you don't really get the flavor. Slow down. Make a level 1 on a live server and solo doing all the tutorial and other stuff up to level 50 without a merc.

This represents the quandary that they have. If content were really, truly fun to play, and repeat, there would be a much healthier group game with organic forming groups. As it is, EQ is a rather boring slog of a grind with some fun bits thrown in, here and there. The content that they're worried about us trivializing is already boring. Most people that I know only do it for the gear, xp and/or rewards so that they can be 1% more efficient on raid night. Some only play as an excuse to socialize with friends who are also only playing in order to chat with friends. IDK the answer, I'm not a content designer, but the group game is lacking the fun factor that would make people want to come back and play even after it's no longer "current". Increased grind time is not content.

How do you all deal with EQ burnout? I’ve got like 9-10 level 115 toons 6 of them, my main group, are max AA and great gear.

I can beat all the top CoV missions regularly. I feel like I’ve done everything I want to do. Starting nee toons seems lame to me. Redoing old progression again? Meh. I’ve done artisan prize on my main toon and and tradeskill-phobic so I’ll never do it again.

Am I just done with EQ for now? Like, what do I do? Lol
Mentor, chat, pown...Arena time!

I used to be like you when i played on live servers. Then TLP servers came. Ever since then i've been on TLP servers, i dont join them all. Like i played on Ragefire until i was burned out from that server and my toons there. Joined Mangler, but i was missing boxing several chars (true-box is not for me). So when Rizlona was announced, i got suuuuper happy and energized. Now playing on Rizlona 2ish weeks from PoP launch im still going as strong as ever! And im looking forward to more and new content for my 12box crew. You just gotta find your own pace wether its on your current server(s) or on a new server. You can always just make some chars on either a tlp server or another live server, chill between raids meet some new people , you might even learn something new ! Anyways, i've rambled on for too long. Wish you the best of luck. And remeber there is no quitting EQ, only smaller and longer AFK's :D

I do TLP and feel like there isn't enough time between expansion packs to get what I want accomplished

Like others in this thread I highly recommend taking a break! Sometimes a month or two away is all you need to get the EQ "Itch" back.

I've been enjoying the TLP's as it doesn't take long for new content to come out and continue improving your characters.

Playing other games at least one night a week is also a solid strategy!

My suggestion would be and I know this sounds utterly bananas to some including myself but start going outside for a few minutes a day in the early hours between 8-10 am process that Vitamin D it'll help you get some clarity. Sunblock recommended SPF 30+.

Discussion - EQ burnout

Users who are viewing this thread

Back