• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - Encounter Locking - an end to power levelling?? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
19,708¢
With the introduction of Encounter locking - we can no longer just AE agro a bazillion mobs with a SK and then methodically hit each one to get the XP.

As soon as you agro the mobs you will notice the name changes to a greenish color and they are "Encounter Locked" to you.

You can FD and reset this - and it is still a little buggy where I had Trash mobs in a raid encounter locked to a Pet - And I couldnt kill them until the Pet died.

I dont see anyway around this mechanic - so for now at least the best you can do is Buff the lower lvl toons as best you can - (DS, Stat food, Empowered Campfire, Empowered Guild Banner) and give them assisted Levelling.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Has anyone found any other way around the Encounter Locked mechanism?

its my second raid force :(
Finished first expansion and most toons around 54-55 - moving to lvl 60 for Kunark stuff.
I dont mind grinding - but grinding 9 grps will be time consuming, instead of taking 30 mins....

its still very buggy, so might not be worth trying to code any work arounds as of yet, but using /yell on each mob you pull "unlocks" each individual mob; s in theory you could target every mob and /yell at it than aoe the crowd and kill etc. i use "unlocks" loosely as its still very buggy..

regardless ... some bigwig at dpg or its parent company really wanted this change implemented. might be a bit of conjecture on my part but i think it will have something to do with selling heroic characters and heroic gear packages in the very near future.

if they can kill the PL game in eq and control it with cash store sales they than increase there revenues.

regardless of the conjecture, it is just a matter of time before it is rolled out on ALL of the EQ servers ... tlp/live/test ... wont matter. they are shoving this food down our throat whether we want it or not.

its still very buggy, so might not be worth trying to code any work arounds as of yet, but using /yell on each mob you pull "unlocks" each individual mob; s in theory you could target every mob and /yell at it than aoe the crowd and kill etc. i use "unlocks" loosely as its still very buggy..

regardless ... some bigwig at dpg or its parent company really wanted this change implemented. might be a bit of conjecture on my part but i think it will have something to do with selling heroic characters and heroic gear packages in the very near future.

if they can kill the PL game in eq and control it with cash store sales they than increase there revenues.

regardless of the conjecture, it is just a matter of time before it is rolled out on ALL of the EQ servers ... tlp/live/test ... wont matter. they are shoving this food down our throat whether we want it or not.
So ive heard the reverse about pro power level'r, you cant KS them, its theres until they yell?

So ive heard the reverse about pro power level'r, you cant KS them, its theres until they yell?
well in essence yes if i pull the whole zone of say the deep and am able to keep enough agro on every mob i can in theory hold the zone of mobs hostage until i either /yell at each mob individually or someone else heals runes or buffs me to take agro ... its a very poorly planned system to be quite honest. dealing with it on test the last few weeks has been quite discouraging seeing a lot of the bugs with npcs etc ... for example the azarack's in posky cannot be targeted and if you dont kill griklor after his first dropdown in the group tov instance he will sometimes bug out and walk to the front of his fort and than just stand there calling out names and doing ae's . i am sure there are a ton of other issues that will come to light as well with time

why not just have the lil toons pull and ya just kill um with the big guys?
As soon as the mobs are encounter locked you can't interact with them at all. No AE Agro, No Damage Shield, No Taunt

Typically I would have a lot of groups all in the same camp and they would basically share DPS - but cant even do that.

I think its inevitable that they roll this out to all servers for the exact reasons stated above. You KIll PLing - and people will pay for the Heroic Boost.

PLing was the only reason I never bought any heroics.

I havent tried the /yell.

As william12 said, stopping PL’ing would be much easier than this change. Encounter locking is “solving” a customer service problem they think they have.

As william12 said, stopping PL’ing would be much easier than this change. Encounter locking is “solving” a customer service problem they think they have.
Exactly. A few of the more popular YouTuber/Streamer's out there have quit TLP's all together, and gone p99, primarilly because of the kill stealing issues.

Epic's, etc..., are largely locked down by boxed DPS squads for days on end.

At least, that's what they say.

Speaking of. Why do I have a faint memory of something like this being implemented in the past, and being removed shortly after, due to technical issues and the resulting backlash? It had to be another game right?

Exactly. A few of the more popular YouTuber/Streamer's out there have quit TLP's all together, and gone p99, primarilly because of the kill stealing issues.

Epic's, etc..., are largely locked down by boxed DPS squads for days on end.

At least, that's what they say.

Speaking of. Why do I have a faint memory of something like this being implemented in the past, and being removed shortly after, due to technical issues and the resulting backlash? It had to be another game right?
Eq2 has encounter locking, diff game and gameplay tho. Not really a good 1:1

Have you tried putting the lower levels in your group when you aggro them and dropping the SK after they hit every mob once ?
This actually works very well. It means you can PL up to 5 toons at a time.

Make sure SK has no riposte, and no DS etc. Go pull ur trains.

Hit them at least once with your PL toons. Drop Group and then kill them with a DS.

It may be a bit slower than normal - but most people arent trying to PL 54 toons at one time.

Onward to Kunark!

its my second raid force :(
Finished first expansion and most toons around 54-55 - moving to lvl 60 for Kunark stuff.
I dont mind grinding - but grinding 9 grps will be time consuming, instead of taking 30 mins....
Your 2nd raid group is imbalanced. Only 18 MAG...sigh. Real raid groups run with 2 WAR, 2 PAL, 2 SHD, 6 CLR, 6 SHM, 36 MAG. Duh!

Discussion - Encounter Locking - an end to power levelling??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back