• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Disconnectted (1 Viewer)

IamBigDaddy

RedCents
80¢
Anyone have some suggestions on how to set up EQ so that I get disconnectted less when trying to have 8 or 9 toons up at the same time. I am pretty sure this is a uplink communication problem not a compter performance issue. I have tried as many as 4 computers at once. 6 toons very seldom will have a problem.

DSL 1.5 mBit dl/512k ul

TIA
IamBigDaddy

I have been using the PRTG Traffic Grapher to monitor bandwidth and packet counts. It has a free download. http://www.paessler.com/?ref=PRTG5HOME It will let you know exactly how much of your bandwidth you are using. I have found that your RAM will also affect being able to three box on one compy. I have two 64-bit system that are the same except the amount of RAM. one has 1GB and the other 2GB, the 2GB system handles it much better.

Here is what Sony Recommends (personally I use 8 for 3-4 doxing with DSL)

In order to make changes to your Datarate settings please go to your EverQuest Folder(the default location is C:\Program Files\EverQuest\ or C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\) and locate the file named "Datarate.txt". Open this file, and adjust the number from "5.0" to "9.0".

Raising the datarate will cause the game to send your computer larger data packets. Some connections will perform better with larger packet sizes. Many users have also commented that increasing packet size decreases zoning time.

If you notice that the problem is not resolved using the value of "9.0", then try using the value "3.0".

Some users tend to have packet loss on their connections for a variety of reasons. Lowering the EverQuest "Datarate" value will reduce the size of the data packets, allowing more "good" data to come across during a packet loss situation.

Do not use any values lower than "3.0" or higher than "9.0", as the results will be unpredictable, and may cause further problems.

If these recommendations do not resolve your problem please change the datarate value back to "5.0", and contact us for further support.

When using Dial-up (shudder) I used to have to run with 3

Another thing I'd look at is how much RAM you have in the machines.

Doesn't mean it's not used, just means that if it's not there it will use a default setting (probably 5.0) sort of like how the presence of nosound.txt turns off sound.

Thx for the added input TP and Code. I will try it and see what happens. Tomorrow morning I head out on a job to New Hampshire for 3 weeks so my home system will only have 5 toons up at a time so might not know anything definate till I get back.

I will also try on the hotel DSL connection. I really hope to get at least 1 toon on each of my portables and I will try 2 on my good portable.

Disconnectted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back