• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Debating coming back, current top classes question (1 Viewer)

B

Brano11

Well I'm getting the eq itch again. When I last played, I was running 3 zerks, shm, Bard, and SK and was able to basically own anything I wanted to in the group game. I see CWTN has a few new class plug-ins now. My question is, with the use of his plug-ins, in today's (and next expansion eq) which classes are pushing the top group game dps strictly using the CWTN class plugins?

Are the zerkers still top dps, shamans still capable of being a main healer for groups? Do rangers or beastlords push the most dps now?

Any insight into current eq would be awesome! If I decide to come back, I'd be running a Bard and SK for sure, and possibly shaman if they can still main heal group game. Just curious who's topping dps now in the group game.

I had seen somewhere else on the site that monks were supposedly getting a massive boost this next expansion, but can't remember which thread I saw it in
The change to wep ratio will help monks and zerkers.. but its blanket, and some classes (bst, war, rog) get a lot of dmg based of equipped wep.. so monks (and zerkers a lil) improved, others promptly rushed past them :bang:

So if zerkers aren't top melee, who is now? If it's rangers or rogues, is the only reason they are getting top is because of assassinate or headshot damage? Or are they legitimate top now?
Top DPS is casters by a long shot. Mages and Necros absolutely destroy even the perfectly played melee dps class by nearly double the DPS output (current live game). The weapon ratio changes coming will help close that gap. Based on my raid parses, my zerk has closed the gap so that necros are only about 20-25% higher than me instead of 80-100% like I see on live.

Rangers are really good *IF* they'll use their spells to full effectiveness. You can't just sit back and autofire, you have to burn your mana like it's going out of style. Because spell damage is in such a good place right now on live, rangers **should** be beating all of the pure melee. However, I have also raided with bad/lazy rangers who do poorly and then complain that their class sucks. "Nah bro, your problem is between the keyboard and the floor."

I'd say the current, live, top melee is rogues. But that is PURELY because of assassinate and how often raids give them the target opportunity to use it. My guild rogues will generally prioritize hitting assassinate eligible targets even if it's not the specified MA target so they're maximizing their overall DPS output. If it weren't for assassinate, rogues would be just as terrible as zerks and monks. Decap is not even remotely as good as assassinate nor headshot.

The change to wep ratio will help monks and zerkers.. but its blanket, and some classes (bst, war, rog) get a lot of dmg based of equipped wep.. so monks (and zerkers a lil) improved, others promptly rushed past them :bang:
It's possible that will change such that the hybrid usable weapons will be tuned back and the melee specific weapons (rog dagger, monk 2hb, zerk 2hs) will either stay the same or get better. But we'll see if the devs follow through on that.

Top DPS is casters by a long shot. Mages and Necros absolutely destroy even the perfectly played melee dps class by nearly double the DPS output (current live game). The weapon ratio changes coming will help close that gap. Based on my raid parses, my zerk has closed the gap so that necros are only about 20-25% higher than me instead of 80-100% like I see on live.

Rangers are really good *IF* they'll use their spells to full effectiveness. You can't just sit back and autofire, you have to burn your mana like it's going out of style. Because spell damage is in such a good place right now on live, rangers **should** be beating all of the pure melee. However, I have also raided with bad/lazy rangers who do poorly and then complain that their class sucks. "Nah bro, your problem is between the keyboard and the floor."

I'd say the current, live, top melee is rogues. But that is PURELY because of assassinate and how often raids give them the target opportunity to use it. My guild rogues will generally prioritize hitting assassinate eligible targets even if it's not the specified MA target so they're maximizing their overall DPS output. If it weren't for assassinate, rogues would be just as terrible as zerks and monks. Decap is not even remotely as good as assassinate nor headshot.

It's possible that will change such that the hybrid usable weapons will be tuned back and the melee specific weapons (rog dagger, monk 2hb, zerk 2hs) will either stay the same or get better. But we'll see if the devs follow through on that.
Interesting, thank you for the input. I've debated trying a full caster group. Just not sure about it since dots from necros take some time to ramp up. Haven't done any mage stuff in probably a decade, so not sure on them at either. I'm assuming necros use their "quick" dot lineup for group game?

Interesting, thank you for the input. I've debated trying a full caster group. Just not sure about it since dots from necros take some time to ramp up. Haven't done any mage stuff in probably a decade, so not sure on them at either. I'm assuming necros use their "quick" dot lineup for group game?
No, necros are pretty much raid or solo only. Mages are currently the most versatile class in the entire game. They're the 2nd highest raid DPS. Only Necros will beat them. In a group setting, they're probably the #1 DPS class in all of EQ. Their pets make great tanks so they can also fill the tank role in a group and add a merc healer, and they can molo much of the group content that doesn't require crowd control.

Everyone playing on test is reporting roughly a 60% dps increase for all melee classes w new weapons. Apparently the group weapons have more dmg then ToL raid ones.
Better than NoS raid ones in raw damage, the little bit of hdex/proc you will lose is not going to matter, Raid Zerks are going to run around with ts group weapons at first.

Situation dependent. Seen sk do some nasty dps, pal do decent if its undead. Zerks have decap too. Next to no1 plays mnk anymore. But generally overall I'd say its prob a toss up between rog and rng for the melee classes, there usually the ones I see at the top of the raid parses.
Zerk decap does not matter, it is low damage and does not trigger all that much.

yeah generally for the group trash game, my necros priorities are just sick pet > throw a couple quick bots > mana battery for group. due to the fact that a solid group just kills everything so fast, its just kinda waiting on deck for a named or a swarm. i still think its valuable to have. 2 other burst dps are enough to handle trash quick enough, i prefer putting my effort into scaling my power vs the tough opponents. plus, its not like it does Zero dps in trash game, its just low.

the mana battery is a significant benefit to the group, if i take my necro out of my comp i notice mana limitations alot more.

im lurking this thread in hopes it helps me decide my 6th. trying to gauge the consensus about where BST stands right now for dps/adps. currently running SK/SHM/BRD/MAG/NEC/BER and im just not feeling the berzerker but people give me mixxed signals about how strong they are. feels like BST would synergize with my group (fucking massive pet army on burns), but since im using necro i want to be sure it has good dps so im not killing trash slowly. idk if the beastlords potential is wasted without other melee for it to support (though eventually im planning to have a rogue and ranger to swap in for mag/nec to make a melee group). will there be any significant benefit to having all those pet classes? do their buffs help eachother much?

yeah generally for the group trash game, my necros priorities are just sick pet > throw a couple quick bots > mana battery for group. due to the fact that a solid group just kills everything so fast, its just kinda waiting on deck for a named or a swarm. i still think its valuable to have. 2 other burst dps are enough to handle trash quick enough, i prefer putting my effort into scaling my power vs the tough opponents. plus, its not like it does Zero dps in trash game, its just low.

the mana battery is a significant benefit to the group, if i take my necro out of my comp i notice mana limitations alot more.

im lurking this thread in hopes it helps me decide my 6th. trying to gauge the consensus about where BST stands right now for dps/adps. currently running SK/SHM/BRD/MAG/NEC/BER and im just not feeling the berzerker but people give me mixxed signals about how strong they are. feels like BST would synergize with my group (fucking massive pet army on burns), but since im using necro i want to be sure it has good dps so im not killing trash slowly. idk if the beastlords potential is wasted without other melee for it to support (though eventually im planning to have a rogue and ranger to swap in for mag/nec to make a melee group). will there be any significant benefit to having all those pet classes? do their buffs help eachother much?
Thats understandable. I am thinking my final group maybe shd, shm, zerk, rog, bst, bard. Thinking about running that now and seeing how it does. Can always switch up in the future.

I thought He already decided to run the same crew he had before he left? There is comfort in familiarity.
I was going to do what I did in the past, but I can also see like you all have said about having variety and after doing some more research think I'm gonna get out of my comfort zone and try some new things. Since I have to set up everything again from fresh anyways, no better time to try something new!

Question - Debating coming back, current top classes question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back