• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Considering starting up (1 Viewer)

Laraden

RedCents
36¢
Hi, I'm Laraden and I suck at boxing.

I've always much preferred working one, maybe two toons because once I add a third + I lose track of everything and end up neglecting one or more toons. Also why I never box my heals. I play a monk and love the class, but I find myself struggling at points in trying to do progression. I've slowly worked my way up progressing most expansions but hitting content I don't out level or out gear kinda has made a stumbling point.

For a few missions I've managed to 2 or 3 box and make it through, others I failed horribly at and ended up begging for help. Which is frustrating as hell.

So I was sitting around thinking about old times and I remember a friend using mq on an emu server. He would talk about writing scripts for his toons and I thought it sounded like Greek to me.

I play test server, and he had always said that made it more difficult. So I notice the very vanilla thing for test. How safe is it actually? What can it actually do? How much would I have to learn to write things out?

I'm not really wanting to do anything afk. Just kinda be able to have a few boxes that run themselves in missions. Guess an example might be making a bard or ranger that would run through their things on their own. Click quick time when up on bard maybe. Or make a sham box that'd heal and support without worrying about forgetting to tab over.

Stuff like that safe/easy to get? I'm absolutely clueless about what this can do.

Any advice or thoughts appreciated! :) I'll probably give it a shot once I have a bit of cash to throw this way, just wanted to say hi and see the thoughts of regulars.

Thanks!
Laraden

When it comes to RedGuides software, Test server is almost exactly the same as Live servers. The software is not endorsed by DBG and never will be, though we've found people who stay at their keyboards and are friendly to other players never have an issue.

As for difficulty, these 5 videos will get you up and running a full group.
https://www.redguides.com/community/resources/multiboxing-everquest-the-red-guide-videos.1603/

Our Test server software is almost all open source, so you don't even have to pay if you don't mind compiling on your own.
https://gitlab.com/redguides/VeryVanilla

Laraden,

Like you, I have 0 experience in coding/writing scripts. I purchased access to Kissassist and I too play on test. It works just fine! It took me a little to get going, and asking a ton of questions in discord. There are multiple people very willing to help. I go into the .ini sections here on the forums and get those going into mine, etc. I have run 36-48 toons and done full raids. I did the classic, Vox and Lord Nagafen with 36 toons all level 50 with just running my monk and everyone else on KA. It works perfectly. Yes, there is some tweaking to do, but the guides on the forums will walk you through it all step by step and if you get stuck, simply get on discord and ask. Someone will help you out! It is $10 a month and since u are on test, you are playing for free anyway. DO IT! You won't regret it. I've taken my guys from 1 to now 96 using it and having a blast.

Well I run on an old laptop so definitely won't be running 36+ lol. I start lagging around my 5th. But thanks for the responses! Much appreciated. At work now, will watch videos when I'm home.
Maybe I'll try to get things set up tomorrow:)

Hands down this is the best community around. You landed in a great spot. Friendly, not pompous people who are happy to help people to have fun. As mention afk boxing is not encouraged but like most we find more reward being able to run a crew to do content at our leisure. It brings a whole new aspect to the game from running a single toon. Also if you jump into it, don't be shy at creating a full crew. You will learn a tremendous amount around each class - like/dislikes - and will quickly find a groove that suites you.

Really is a great community you all have. Definitely appreciate all the answers! Glad I gave it a shot.
I'm off tomorrow so I'll try to get things figured out then :)

As far as finding my groove I've played most classes but tend to stick with melee or hybrids,the most. Just been too crappy at boxing to actually play a group

Really is a great community you all have. Definitely appreciate all the answers! Glad I gave it a shot.
I'm off tomorrow so I'll try to get things figured out then :)

As far as finding my groove I've played most classes but tend to stick with melee or hybrids,the most. Just been too crappy at boxing to actually play a group

I’ll toss you a free month to get you hooked ;)

Also, if you’re active in the community people will toss you “redcents.” You can give redcents and receive redcents from others. Each time someone gives you redcents you get 10, and I believe you get 2 every time you give redcents to someone else.

Point is, you can buy monthly subscriptions using 50 redcents a month, which is pretty easy to earn if you’re on here and helping people out, giving tips/tricks, or basically just active in the online community.

Well I got on and got it mostly setup. Haven't done much, just poked on a couple of alts.
I can see how this is gonna get addicting! Not having to worry about the box letting me just poke at the main makes my life so much easier. I'm sure there's a few things I'll have to figure out further on higher level toons but I'll definitely be playing with this when I do anything that requires a box.

Thanks for all the help, guys! and thanks for the awesome videos, Redbot!

Do you have any specific questions thus far? Don’t be afraid to ask even obvious questions or ask for opinions or anything. The diversity here is immense.

Only really play a little bit each week so had enough time to set it up and fiddle with it on a lowbie 2box.
ONly issue I encountered was I managed to have a runner pull a train. my main toon died so tabbed to the one being controlled by KA.. Wouldn't let me run away from the mob. Any way to disable that? Ended up dying on that toon as well since I couldn't force her to move.

Can /end the macro and then hit escape to clear target to take back control of your toon.

or you can test and play around with /mqp which pauses mq2 I believe.

Still very much a noob myself but half the fun is trial and error for me.

Yeah as noted above, make a "macro pause" hotkey so you can stop stuff if you need to take over. This bound to 3 on my KA toons:
INI:
/mqp

There are a few plugins that can still run though. The one that "locks"you onto a mob you're fighting is MQ2Melee & it's stick features. If that happens, pause KA and hit esc key to drop target. Then you can move freely as long as you get away before reacquiring the target. You can view that plugin's settings via "/melee" or turn it off in KA ini [Melee] section.

I'd also make a NavStop hotkey in case the MQ2Nav plugin has you running somewhere and you want to quit that. Useful on your puller mainly, though I also have a EQBC broadcast version in case realize my group is about to run into see-invis mobs during travel.
INI:
/nav stop
INI:
/bcaa //nav stop

Thanks again for advice! Having those made a difference for sure lol. Still haven't gotten much time to play but I've been poking it here and there so I understand it a bit more when time comes to use it more.

One more question. I've looked at a few inis for KA, and I'm sort of seeing how it works, but is there a way to add in click buffs? E.g. If I want to add the haste click belt on it or poisons? For time when I'm not boxing, I always forget to click the belt, might be beneficial to have it auto cast.

yeah you would just put it on your buff section of you KA

something like

INI:
Buffs1=Scorpion's Agony XVIII

if you had something like a familar or a mount you might do it like this
This clicks the familiar to give you the spell effect Familiar: Emerald Sokokar --- you identify it with the Dual because you want it to cast Familiar of the Emerald Jungle but verify it with checking for Familiar: Emerald Sokokar

I then have it remove the actual pet sokokar with the buff18

INI:
Buffs17=Familiar of the Emerald Jungle|Dual|Familiar: Emerald Sokokar
Buffs18=Summon Familiar: Emerald Sokokar|Remove

Here are a couple more examples of different items and how you would put them in your buffs section
INI:
Buffs10=Emperor Ganak Familiar|dual|Familiar: Emperor Ganak
Buffs11=Grelleth's Royal Seal|dual|Frightful Aura
Buffs12=Worn Old Rabbit's Foot|dual|Illusion Benefit Greater Jann

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Maybe now I'll never again realize I've gone an hour without haste. I'll poke at that tomorrow if I get a chance to play.

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Maybe now I'll never again realize I've gone an hour without haste. I'll poke at that tomorrow if I get a chance to play.

What classes and levels do you use?

I main a 110 monk, near max Aas. Primary box is a 110 sk, aa count I forget. Also have a 105 bard but only really log her in if I need for a mission or something. Working up a ranger, she's somewhere in the 90s iirc.
Figure if I get everything set up (and can afford all the expacs) I may throw in a shaman. So monk/sk/bard/rng/sham. Not sure what I'd make for a 6th if I ever make one

That sounds nice, I'll definitely take a look at it when I get a chance. Zerker was admittedly on my list of possible toons. Would give me a pretty good round of adps among the group, I think.
I'll just have to poke at computer and settings and see if I can get 6 to work without lag.

Gotta repeat myself. This is a wonderful community you have going here. So much better than most forums (especially those related to eq.), very helpful and honestly reminds me why I have enjoyed eq so many years.

Posting here again because I had a bit more time to play today and messed with a few things.
Wanted to try out an auto pulling ini so grabbed one and headed out, watched it grind xp while i read. Few hours and no prob, then suddenly my puller kept targeting a named halfway across the zone and attempting to pull it and only it. At some point she somehow did aggro it (no clue how, way out of range and on a different floor of the zone), promptly showed up with half the zone and wiped up.

Rezzed and immediately got the same result. Only target she'd acquire was the named. I searched forums and added her to ignore list (I think I did that correctly. Least it isn't happening anymore).

But any idea what would cause that situation? I was only person in zone entire time, way out of the way. Several hours of clean grinding and then suddenly a fixation on a named across the zone.

And just to be clear you edit the name into the kiss help file or something to that nature, yes? I'm at work now, can't check what the file was called.

Thanks again!

Might be the KA "Burn" target lock thing. Tanks will auto-swap to a Named if they see one and you have Burn on, which is fine. What sometimes happens is your Assist toons will also swap, but if they die and the Burn mob is still up, they will keep that Named target after rez.

So maybe your Tank got it on target via an AE or pathing mob transferred aggro list. Not sure.

I have to restart KA on the assist toon when this happens. You could also try a "/switchnow" command or "/bca //switchnow" from the tank to force all assist to switch to a new called target.

Mule's mod of KA does have a special "pull Named first" option you can set up, but you'd have to put the Named into the KissAssist_info.ini file's MobsToPull section.

I was killing in Arx Mentis, along edge of the mana worm things. The named was prime something or another, which is half the zone away.
Respawn is fast enough in Arx that I never ran out of worms to kill, so still not entirely sure how she managed to even end up there.
I even tried to manually aggro her later on and nothing I tried would touch her. Worms don't run, and the pull radius was small enough to be entirely contained in that area.

Seems like a freak accident, but I'd love to know how she aggroed lol. Now I know how to ignore mobs and that I should reset at least so problem is solved for now. Thanks guys :)

Question - Considering starting up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back