• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Cleric vs Shaman (group content) (1 Viewer)

Ninjapickle

Seasoned veteran member
RedCents
1,307¢
I'm probably not the first to ask, but I'd like to hear thoughts on this. I'm trying to decide which one to get CoV for next. I feel like the clerics ability to insta rez the tank is pretty big and saving wipes in tough content is more useful than the shaman buffs. My groups tank doesn't seem any less likely to die with the shaman as healer in my experience. If it helps, I use CWTN plugins for basically everything.

I'm probably not the first to ask, but I'd like to hear thoughts on this. I'm trying to decide which one to get CoV for next. I feel like the clerics ability to insta rez the tank is pretty big and saving wipes in tough content is more useful than the shaman buffs. My groups tank doesn't seem any less likely to die with the shaman as healer in my experience. If it helps, I use CWTN plugins for basically everything.
its a trade-off - you can absolutely use shm for solo heals for all group content and shm gives you some more dps, but cleric definitely has some more "uh oh" stuff in their toolkit

shaman brings out more dps especially in a melee grp
between rez AA and rez stick (u have to work to get one) shm is fine for rezzing, hoping dying is a rarity

If you NEED a cleric by all means, but thats more of an issue of the rest of the grp lacking somewhere

In the end given time I work both shm and cleric into lvling, gearing, progressing but since I prefer melee grps and my grp isnt keeling over every other pull I stay w shm for the most part

I dont abandon a cleric, they get rotated in as a solo healer or just added to grp

HOnestly I can get by with shaman but I like fact cleric is there. I don't have to self heal with sk I don't have watch what I do i just let the cleric heal and blow stuff up.

I run sk, brd, 3 dps (3 of any ber/necro/rogue/mage/monk) and cleric/shaman. Still prefer cleric for less deaths/worries overall. But do sics point shaman heals fine but due to how they heal occasioanl deaths will happen period.

I’ve been running my SK (tap heals), cleric AND shaman in groups doing the achievements in CoV missions for EZ mode wins. Since doing that, I’ve done all the hard achievements without a single failure or wipe.

For actually running the missions, I tend to use the cleric just because that’s the setup I’ve grown accustomed to.

For non-instanced group content, I’ll often use the shammy.

I'll be running SK, 4 rogues (my rogues consistently beat my zerks), and it looks like I'll give the shaman a chance and see what's up. Thanks for the input everyone!

Once you parse that out, I'd recommend swapping one rogue for one zerk and see if it boosts overall group dps. You can't compare individual toons for making decisions about a group because the overall synergy of the group is so huge. Just a suggestion! Cheers!

Once you parse that out, I'd recommend swapping one rogue for one zerk and see if it boosts overall group dps. You can't compare individual toons for making decisions about a group because the overall synergy of the group is so huge. Just a suggestion! Cheers!
I don't know enough about the classes to know how that would make a difference. My thought process revolves around more chances for alliance to proc. I don't use gamparse (too lazy to set it up lol), I just go by the numbers from the dps plugin. I've got rogues in tov t1 gear with no augs and weapons beating my zerks in cov t3 full augs and tov raid weapons on a consistent basis. Am I overlooking something? I'm a simple guy lol.

I’ve been running my SK (tap heals), cleric AND shaman in groups doing the achievements in CoV missions for EZ mode wins. Since doing that, I’ve done all the hard achievements without a single failure or wipe.

For actually running the missions, I tend to use the cleric just because that’s the setup I’ve grown accustomed to.

For non-instanced group content, I’ll often use the shammy.

Pretty much how I play. with cleric I don't even have to tap which makes life easier.
I don't know enough about the classes to know how that would make a difference. My thought process revolves around more chances for alliance to proc. I don't use gamparse (too lazy to set it up lol), I just go by the numbers from the dps plugin. I've got rogues in tov t1 gear with no augs and weapons beating my zerks in cov t3 full augs and tov raid weapons on a consistent basis. Am I overlooking something? I'm a simple guy lol.

Outside of named / mission big mobs what lives long enough? I run 3 rogue/3ber and mobs just melt.

rogue alliance is the easiest to proc because you can just put poison proc clickies on your other melee toons. With that, you can proc alliance with only one rogue in group. You don’t need 3-4 rogues.

I wonder though i think monk might add more dps than ber.

*shrug* monk vs zerker seems like a decent debate to have... but I don't see what a monk provides to the other rogues in group... whereas the zerker has some group adps abilities that make a difference.

My BERs beat my MNK on burst, sustained, and burns. BER definitely adds more adps wise. I started off with a SHM, then went with CLR and SHM for ez mode. Then, I dropped to CLR only.

I think my next go around I’m going to switch back to SHM exclusively and grab the rez stick.

My monk beats zerker in dps x2 i wish i made 2 monks.

As others have said, you should take a hard look at your zerker's .ini / dps setup. Monks can do very very well for themselves, but they generally shouldn't consistently beat the zerker (presuming similar gear and augs).

My monk beats zerker in dps x2 i wish i made 2 monks.
you have serious issues w zerk if thats the case
is the zerk a baz trader in starter gear trying to get to lvl 2 or something

equally geared lvld and aad with a good macro/plugin youll start to see difference
also zerks cant go 1v monsters, they excel w adps shm bard bst in grp zerk yields more dps

then there is the tanking monk who benefits from riposte vs dpsing monk (and um yea split pulls are a thing of the past)

agree though if u are just gonna play 1 toon monk with no support monk would win

Yep it’s not to say monks are bad dps thoguh. From what I can tell for overall dps from my various box teams you have this:

1) Rogue/Ber 2) Monk/necro (necro over up on big fights lithat zlandi 3) All other dps except WIz. 4) pets ............................... Last) broken wizzies

you have serious issues w zerk if thats the case
is the zerk a baz trader in starter gear trying to get to lvl 2 or something

equally geared lvld and aad with a good macro/plugin youll start to see difference
also zerks cant go 1v monsters, they excel w adps shm bard bst in grp zerk yields more dps

then there is the tanking monk who benefits from riposte vs dpsing monk (and um yea split pulls are a thing of the past)

agree though if u are just gonna play 1 toon monk with no support monk would win

my warrior also out dps’s them both lol
Warriors 94
Monks 93
Zerk 90

To reply to the OP I use shm main heals and to fix the problem you spoke of , my solution was to use a pally in place of cleric. Now I have dps in tov and cov that trumps my zerker half the time. Then I have battle rez and lay on hands for oh shit . I get the cleric line buffs and grp heals along with brells. I have messed around until this being the best combo for me. War,Zerk,Bst,Brd,Shm,Pal.

Question - Cleric vs Shaman (group content)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back