• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - class choices for 3box (1 Viewer)

dman2509

RedCents
742¢
So my A-team has SK,ENC,WIZ.
B-team has SK,BRD,MAG
Is there a theme here? Tank, CC, DPS + cleric and 2 rogue mercs.
Any other fun suggestions for a 3box?
Have not played with the following classes yet: WAR, PAL, CLR, RNG, BST, BER

Using mercs for the other 3 slots? Honestly a merc healer can get you pretty far into ToV group stuff.

Sk, Bard, Mage

B-team has SK,BRD,MAG
War or Sk, Enc or Bard, Cleric, Shaman, or Druid...are a fantastic core to any team. I'd go 4th dps if you have a bard. Note: the above formula is subject to how you play (Subbed-FTP)...as an example...a FTP Cleric or Shaman will be leaps and bounds better than a crappy tier 2 healer merc...

Free-to-play (FTP) has a whole different set of considerations. For example, you'll probably want to save up for some Kronos so you can max your tank/crowd control/healer asap. You can't force your way through with mercs in ftp...even a healer one. They'll be out of mana (wizard/cleric) in like 5-6 mobs flat in 105-120 content. If your tank is max gear/aa...a tier two healer merc can probably help...but you don't have reactive healing mode...so slogging it through nameds is going to suuuuck. Also, you can't do raid clicky based stuff without and actual healer on your team and you can't bring mercs to raids.

Best advice I got from the community is to decide now who are going to be your main char/chars and build your strategy around it. Rogue mercs are ok...FTP Zerker, Rogue, and/or Mage will still outshine a rogue or wizard merc any day of the week (even without aa's)

Best approach I've found. Max gear/aa's on your tank, dps, enc, cleric. Once all max aa's best gear...prestige gear only tank/dps and sub those accts, once enc/cleric are max aa...only gear them in non-prestige. A non-prestige max aa cleric, enchanter, shaman will rock out like nodoby business since they should never be hit. Tank/Melee/DPS classes are often gear dependent so that's where you want to focus financially so you can use/wield the best gear.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
My very first main when I started during Kunark was a shaman which I eventually switched over to a bard.
Are shamans the poop now? At what level do they become awesome? Mine is sitting at level 70 but is on the same account as the enchanter.

War or Sk, Enc or Bard, Cleric, Shaman, or Druid...are a fantastic core to any team. I'd go 4th dps if you have a bard. Note: the above formula is subject to how you play (Subbed-FTP)...as an example...a FTP Cleric or Shaman will be leaps and bounds better than a crappy tier 2 healer merc...

Free-to-play (FTP) has a whole different set of considerations. For example, you'll probably want to save up for some Kronos so you can max your tank/crowd control/healer asap. You can't force your way through with mercs in ftp...even a healer one. They'll be out of mana (wizard/cleric) in like 5-6 mobs flat in 105-120 content. If your tank is max gear/aa...a tier two healer merc can probably help...but you don't have reactive healing mode...so slogging it through nameds is going to suuuuck. Also, you can't do raid clicky based stuff without and actual healer on your team and you can't bring mercs to raids.

Best advice I got from the community is to decide now who are going to be your main char/chars and build your strategy around it. Rogue mercs are ok...FTP Zerker, Rogue, and/or Mage will still outshine a rogue or wizard merc any day of the week (even without aa's)

Best approach I've found. Max gear/aa's on your tank, dps, enc, cleric. Once all max aa's best gear...prestige gear only tank/dps and sub those accts, once enc/cleric are max aa...only gear them in non-prestige. A non-prestige max aa cleric, enchanter, shaman will rock out like nodoby business since they should never be hit. Tank/Melee/DPS classes are often gear dependent so that's where you want to focus financially so you can use/wield the best gear.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I should mention that my 3 box account are all full access so that helps. Didn't realize that a F2P zerk can be swapped in for a rogue merc and outperform the rogue merc!
How does a F2P cleric compare to a J5 healer?

Last edited:
Thanks! I should mention that my 3 box account are all full access so that helps. Didn't realize that a F2P zerk can be swapped in for a rogue merc and outperform the rogue merc!
How does a F2P cleric compare to a J5 healer?
If you max out the aa’s and put them in non-prestige gear its fantastic

FTP healer merc is a waste of your time. You would almost be better off using the bandage skill. I'm not sure what your PC looks like, but I would think if you can box 3 then you can box 6. I box 6 and 4 of them are FTP. My tank and healer are the only gold accounts. My FTP are enc, zerker x3. I will sometimes change it to use a FTP shm as the healer and a gold bst and drop to 2 zerkers.

If I had to only run 3 toons It would def be Pally, enc, Clr. Reason I pick clr over shm is the shm will struggle to heal until they get high lvl and a lot of AAs, where as the clr I feel if much more consistent healer.

but with shm you can supplement with a healer merc while you are leveling (they aren't as bad as you say, get some gear on them). You don't actually need a ton of AA for shaman to be consistent, especially with pal as main tank.

Don't need any caster/healers types to be paid outside the month at high levels for autogrants and extra aa farming either. Melees and tanks are much better choices for paid accounts if you are gonna run both types since augs and prestige weaponry etc matter more.

unpopular opinion, wiz +2 wiz mercs and you can fulminate your alliance ability which can do some decent dps...... but then again that would require you to use a wiz and we all know that doesn't happen currently!

In all seriousness though, I think a pretty solid starting 3 box is Pal, Shm, Bard once you're 105+. You have all the core buffs covered and battle rezzes, bard speed, double invis, slows/debuffs, pal and sham are enough to heal through any group content. You can pop in 3 dps mercs or find some dps friends to fill out the rest of the group. An added bonus is you will murder undead targets with pally slays. Pally Shm Bard are the core of my group now and I can rotate any 3 classes in the other spots and basically do whatever I want.

B-team has SK,BRD,MAG

War , Enc, Cleric - easy mode + 3x rogue merc

Shd, Bard, Shaman - melt stuff mode + 2x rogue merc + cleric merc

My favorite so far War or SK + Zerk + Ranger + Rogue + Bard + Enc + Cleric ... i call it my "Cpt. Rogers" crew because ... "they can do it al dayyyyyy..."

You know you're badass when you can pull entire zones on a ftp (115 Max AA) crew and clear non-stop in snowbound or faded waxing...

Captain America GIF
Captain America Listening GIF by Spider-Man
captain america endgame GIF

1. Holy Trinity, desired class in order left to right.

Tank - Warrior, Shadow knight, Paladin
Healer - Cleric, Druid, Shaman
Mezzer - Enchanter, Bard (No Merc available, got to be PC)

Masoki's guide for your reference.

2. I used to play 3 teams, w/ 3 Mercs in each team, Merc is actually not that poor when manual boxing since you don't need to control his job manually.
But after using MQ, I believe you will want to merge your ABCDEFG team into a full 6 PC group, or even 12/18/24 mini raiding force, as long as your hardware is capable, like what I am currently thinking for next stage.
My friend showed me his favorite team, FYR. He told me "This setup has every utility".

PAL: (Tank+ClericBuff)
SHM: (Heal+Slow+Buff)
BRD: (CC+BardSpeed+Regen)
NEC: (DPS+CorpseRecovery)
MAG: (DPS+CoH+PetToys)
WIZ: (DPS+Snare+Port)

3. Wow......do I need to be Gold on all 6 accounts? that's $$$. No, just one, your driver is enough. (mostly tanks)

Last edited:
If you want a caster focused group I'd do SK/SHM/ENC. If melee focused maybe SK/SHM/BRD or SK/CLR/BRD. Bard can kind of help with DPS using dots. SHM would be great for buffs and heals.

Discussion - class choices for 3box

Users who are viewing this thread

Back