• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Change of tank, need advice (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,549¢
I recently lost access to a veteran warrior with lots of AA, achievement and Heroics. I made a new War who is decent but problematic and thought I should ask here rather than the official EQ boards in case of an MQ setting.

The main problems are a) he eats a LOT of strikethru hits from mobs nowhere near as damaging to the old tank. They strikethrough a lot. And b) he seems to take a while to start swinging. I hit the F key to attack and he just stands there for a while getting beat on before he finally starts swinging.

Currently at 8220 AC with champion and courageous, 131/300 avoicance, 37/45 for damage shielding, melee shielding and strikethrough. Got the Icy Prism of Avoidance. Max CA and CS.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
You need to match his gear/level with the content you challenging, heroic stats play an essential role here too. Let's just say you need hAGI of 1200+ if you're trying RoS and beyond for comfy tanking, ofc other factors does get involved too. Are you using shield/board stance?

hAgi of 1008 isn't particularly high, personally there is a noticeable difference in my dps chars for 1k vs 1.5k hDex I imagine it would be similar for tanks

Though I rarely parse anything special apart from my group killing mobs for mob counts and overall dps over many hours. Healing and tanking doesn't cross my mind sadly

The really weird part is why he doesn't attack at first. From the moment I hit F to he starts swinging we're talking 6-10 seconds of just standing there. The player window is blinking indicating attack is on but no movement. Anything I should check in mq2melee?

Is it a range/stick issue, ie your just too far to land the hits? Outside of that it really could only be lag that I could think of. But 6-10seconds of a flashing window and nothing else would be crazy for lag and I'm sure you'd know if it was...

ahh the picture becomes clear. They self buff with Sarnak Finesse which is a 10000% riposte buff. You are literally killing yourself. Best to dispel it stat.

All immature tanks are soft, irrespective the class. Invest in him, close the gaps to the tank you lost.

Personal experience playing a warrior is you need the appropriate expansion level, gear and aa to enter into tier 2 zone of an expansion, I focus on AC mainly for my warrior. This includes my augs and aa's. There is a big difference between a raid geared warrior with max aa and a tier 2 geared warrior without aa. Buffed I get around 300k hp with a little over 8k ac and tank Gorowyn like a boss dual wielding one hand slashers. Using the discs and aa accordingly will increase survival dramatically.

@Ordell yeah check and see if weapon stances are turned on. I believe they are off by default.

Can you parse an hour of trash killing and show us what discs/spells you see in gameparse?

ahh the picture becomes clear. They self buff with Sarnak Finesse which is a 10000% riposte buff. You are literally killing yourself. Best to dispel it stat.

All immature tanks are soft, irrespective the class. Invest in him, close the gaps to the tank you lost.

So why didn't I encounter this with my old tank?

@Ordell yeah check and see if weapon stances are turned on. I believe they are off by default.

Can you parse an hour of trash killing and show us what discs/spells you see in gameparse?

As I said, stance is on.

I'll parse but I am using the same discs and AA as before.

@Ordell My War is group geared and he is at 9750 AC with courageous and champion running. I believe avoidance is 191 while shielding is 38. He has 2150 hAhi.

It might simply just be a gear problem.

May have to fight different mobs until you get enough AAs that you acquire the AA line that allows you to block shrike through (can't remember the name) but alot of the RoS Iksar model mobs have the ~20sec buff that gives them massive strike through ability. Either get the AAs and come back or possibly setting up an MQ2React for if the mob has the buff do not have attack on and turn attack on once buff fades.

what is his AA count? there is so many more aa's other than CA/CS. does strikethrough temper down when you are using a shield? i believe the big one for repost is ambidexterity . it makes your offhand immune to ripostes which will drop your strikethroughs. this is the list of aa's i follow when making a new tank.
i tend to stay clear of timed AA's until i have defensives done and put priority on ac over hit points.

general tab order of importance) Armor of Wisdom, Planar Power, Innate Eminence, Natural Durability, General Sturdiness
Archtype tab order of importance) Physical Enhancement, Ambidexterity, Shield Block ( i use a shield until t3 geared or close to max aa ),
Class tab order of importance) Gut Punch, Gut Punch Strike, Sturdiness,

hope it helps, and good luck on the new tank.

For group content heroic agi or heroic dex is a preference. I tend to lean on the dex side unless you're undergeared you shouldn't notice the difference tanking wise i use a 2h to tank TOV content on my sk even and hes in group gear.

dex is the way to go for the SK's taps agi is the way to go for warrior ac. combination of both never hurts for group content. as far as shield and ambidexterity, it wont help it. i seen you said you were using sword and board but wasnt sure if you were using it situational or for everything.

Change of tank, need advice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back