• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Problem - Can't make EQ work! (1 Viewer)

RedCents
53¢
This isn't a macroquest issue. I assume it's either a me issue, because i am missing something obvious, an EQ issue, or a microsoft issue. I submitted an issue request to EQ, but they are slow sometimes, and figured someone here may be able to help faster!

So, I got a new computer yesterday and went to install everquest. I downloaded from EQ's site, and when it tries to install directx i get an error that says "setup could not download the file, Please retry later or check network connection". After i said ok to the error, it went ahead and did the eq download and install. Then, when I go to play the game i get an error saying it's missing D3DX9_43.dll file. So i found it on my old computer and put it in the 32 and 64 bit folders on my new computer. Then when i tried to start the game i got an error saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b). Click OK to close the application".
So I assume the directx failure at the beginning is the problem. I did some searching, and found people that had similar problems over the years and most of them seem to have been resolved by going to microsoft and downloading a directx installer and running it, but all of the links are no longer found on microsofts site. So i went to the microsoft download center, and can't find where the directx installer is available anymore. It says to update your windows, but mine just says it's already up to date.
I tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times, some other junk i found online that didn't work. Tried copying my EQ folder from my old PC, that didn't help. Found a directx 9 installer from another game site i found that looked legit. It seemed to run ok, but didn't help.
I just want to play on my new computer! So if anyone has any idea's it would be appreciated!

wow wild. I hand that link out several times a week (and even earlier this week).

but nope, shows gone
Well, that probably rules out it being a firewall thing on my end, maybe.
I think microsoft must have just changed something in the last couple of days. Found a redit post talking about you have to DL it from a 3rd party now for old games, but I haven't figured out how to make that work yet. I assume there is a way to steal what i need from my old computer, but i haven't figured that out yet either.

I keep a copy of the offline installer for d3dx9 2010 redistributable on my network so any computer anywhere I need it on it's always available. I do that with all kinds of other software though too including standalone games dld from humble bundle and steam, my favorite partition manager, a clean eqemu folder, a copy of the eqfolder I've used on live for the last dozen or so yes just a little out of date, drivers for every motherboard, microsoft.net and visual c++ that are needed on some machines before stuff runs right, etc. Not a bad idea for a portable HDD or NAS for anything that's a pita to find or download when you need it.

Problem - Can't make EQ work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back