• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Can pally + merc = real cleric? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
2,519¢
My cleric is totally maxed, and I got a little bored so I figured I'd try an experiment. Would a J5 merc with max AA plus a paladin be the same, if not better because the pally can do 2h damage and own undead? Eventually I will get a 110 KA ini and modify it for off tanking with an emphasis on healing.

I realize I should have asked sooner but he's 108, in Conflagrant, and slowly building up. What are your thoughts?

while paladins can do really well healing themselves and performing many of the actions that a healer would, I'm not sure you'll get the results you're looking for. of course - this always depends on what your goals are and what level of content you're trying to complete (and the rest of the makeup etc)

@MaxD might be able to chime in on this, since I know he uses a paladin, and can often keep himself alive.

IMO, mercs just lack an absolute ton of the functionality that a real character has access too, for me i can't justify having a merc take up a slot where I could otherwise put in a real character.

Having said that - it is always fun to try and push the envelope and see what you can do by yourself.

you should try it out and hit us back with the results

I'd ask how you're measuring "better." Better at ensuring tank survivability? Better at healing a group killing trash in current content? Better at healing a group killing trash and namers in current content? Better at doing old raids?

Depending on what you're measuring, you may find a SK + merc is better than a Pally + merc, but would be markedly worse at other things (like keeping a group up while killing named in Mearatus, for example).

Definitely group survivability, especially against named, in undead zones like Sathir's tomb. I don't go to TBL. I've completely shunned it since it is so box-unfriendly

I mean, its not THAT box unfriendly. Some of the missions definitely are, but I was able to do all progression on my six-box team with only a few issues. I haven't done all of challenger, though... that might be a bit much (tbd).

Anything with mobs that AE or DoT the whole group you're going to find a pally + cleric merc to be inferior to a Pally + Shaman or Pally + Cleric or anytank + Cleric.

Really need a real healer for group content and named spawns. If you are having a problem with healing and you are using a cleric and pally you might want to take a look at there augs and how you are playing them. LIke using group heals on pally and single on the cleric. Don't skimp out on doing research on agus for your trank. Don't overlook those multi stat augs. They're not hard to get in TBM and in t2 EOK. No witch stat to focus on is up to debate. I have also learned stats recently that stats did not do what i thought they did. I bring the multistat augs up because i know at least of 2 people that were 110 and had very few. IF you lacking in this area i suggest going to TBM stat. Also how familiar are you with the pally and cleric and what other classes are you playing.

I would imagine it is a lot like playing a SK. I myself like playing a SK, all you really need is a decent merc and when it comes down to it a SK can solo like no other. Current content though now days require some kind of group and at the most I do a tripple box team consisting of a sk,mag, bard, and then fill it in with mercs. Now I am working on a 6 box crew and look forward to doing newer content with a little bit more flexibility

What's your actual tank, if you want a paladin I'd replace the actual tank with a paladin. Even on undead paladin dps isn't amazing even with a TBL raid 2hander, bard and shaman support I can get a decent burn but actual sustained paladin dps even on undead is meh. If you're going to stay in ROS paladin + healer merc is fine. If you go into TBL or TOV you might have a hard time more because healer mercs are really dumb.

Now for TBL, I don't think its box unfriendly, there's just some group missions like the ashes trial that are a bit of a pain. If I had a cleric the ones I found hard would of been easier.

it is so box-unfriendly
It's actually not. The Hero Missions are much more box friendly than RoS was. There is nothing like EoE in TBL that is way more difficult to box than to play as a live group. The tanking difficulty was tuned high, but that's universal to boxed and non-box groups. The only thing you can really say about TBL is that all the zones are progression locked, but if you're boxing all the content anyways, you will be unlocking access for your entire group at the same time. Just my opinion, but I had a much easier time doing all the group content (merc/part/hero/hunter) in TBL than I did doing RoS in-era.

Ok so much for that experiment.

And I don't know how some of you can say TBL is box friendly with that stupid mission where you bounce around all over the zone or all the knockback mobs in Stratos that knock you off the islands.

Question - Can pally + merc = real cleric?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back