• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Brand New to this site/multi boxing (1 Viewer)

RedCents
85¢
Hey all, I am a long time EQ player, and like most...I am on and off this game constantly. Lately, I have been enjoying TLP servers and boxing usually a maximum of 2-3 characters. They are truebox servers so of course I am having to use 2-3 different machines and be very old school/mash buttons on all 3 systems to get anything done. My wife is interested in playing this game with me and we want to start a group together....I have a few questions -

I am somewhat hardcore, but playing with my wife I will definitely tone it down a bit, but I want to be successful.

She plans to play a beastlord, I want to play an SK/SHM/BRD trio, maybe I should add a healer and melee dps merc?

What suggestions do you all have? Playing 5 at once for me seems very overwhelming?

Any tips would be appreciated, also says I have no access to the veryvanilla?

Hey all, I am a long time EQ player, and like most...I am on and off this game constantly. Lately, I have been enjoying TLP servers and boxing usually a maximum of 2-3 characters. They are truebox servers so of course I am having to use 2-3 different machines and be very old school/mash buttons on all 3 systems to get anything done. My wife is interested in playing this game with me and we want to start a group together....I have a few questions -

I am somewhat hardcore, but playing with my wife I will definitely tone it down a bit, but I want to be successful.

She plans to play a beastlord, I want to play an SK/SHM/BRD trio, maybe I should add a healer and melee dps merc?

What suggestions do you all have? Playing 5 at once for me seems very overwhelming?

howdy Dealt21! welcome to redguides

now keep in mind MQ/MQ2 and thus RedGuides's MQ2/MQ does not work on truebox servers, but a TLP non-truebox server like Rizlona works just fine.

sk/bard/shm - you have the "holy trio" covered there with tank, heal, and CC/adps - so now you just need some deeps or a second healer depending on your goals/pace and such.

it might seem overwhelming at first, and it takes a little time, but it does become second nature after a while.

VV and the launcher is "level 2" membership

Had some questions about auto grant aa....what is it and when do I put a krono on the account and enable it to get all of the aa's permanently?
autogrant will give you the AAs that you're eligible for. autogrant currently goes all the way up to and includes EoK at 105.
once you have the AAs you can continue to use them even if you are no longer all-access

Had some questions about auto grant aa....what is it and when do I put a krono on the account and enable it to get all of the aa's permanently?
Yes, permanently.

But not all. No tradeskill AA.

And since auto grant will put you over the caps for F2P and Silver AA limits then you will not be able to earn more to put into tradeskills unless you keep up the subscription.

And you really don't want to pay for a month too early, like when your level 70 and miss out on all the good ones at level 80-90 unless you plan on paying again.

So most players wait till higher levels to pay and grant. You can put any AA you earn till then into tradeskill AA.

PS if your designated "level 2" on these forums you get more benefits. It only takes 50 red cents a month to keep level 2. You are close. Just do a search on how to earn red cents. It's AMAZING.

Btw Zerkers rock. Just started one and I am happily annihilating all of Norrath!

Hi Dealt21 and welcome

If your starting with Red Guides , using the /Mac Kissassist command , you can easily control all your toons and its not overwhelming at all

But the question you have to ask yourself , how many Everquest accounts can you have open at same time before you start lagging or crashing when you zone and what not ?

For example: My computer can handle 4 easily , but if I try to do 5 or 6 , I start to get delays and things get slower and more chances for crashes to occur

If you're lagging from sessions, may I recommend mq2eqwire

Welcome @Dealt21! The RG community here is one of the best you'll find. If you want out of the box ease, I'd recommend the CWTN plugins. They work as you level up and tell you what spells/discs you're missing and then do their thing. To be honest though since you're starting at level 1 I'd do the first few levels with just the vanilla plugins like mq2melee to automate the movement and attack actions of my characters to get a feel for things until you get to the higherish levels (maybe 50s-60s?) and have more stuff to do on each character.

@knave23, thank you so much! I really appreciate all of the help so far. I am going to brave it and make an SK/SHM/BRD/zerker and let my wife play the BST. I will have one slot open and most likely sub in a merc heals or dps! So excited to start this journey!

I have the plugins mq2shaman, mq2bst, mq2eskay, and they make it a breeze, while still leaving a lot of room for things to do and work on. In you setup, I would consider playing the bard, and using mq2shaman and mq2eskay (or their “next”-versions, if you are using mqnext) for the two toons.

besides that, I would advice you to add more toons. Even as free2play, they can add a lot. If you want to keep it simple, add a couple of mages played by mq2mage. Mages require very little gear, compared to a melee, but in the end you could do more dps by adding more melee dps. It is just not really necessary.

The game is very easy until levell 80, it is tuned to let people learn.

a downside of adding more toons could be that it becomes too easy, and that your wife’s efforts drown a bit. Bst is not an easy class to master - mage is a lot easier, for example.

I used to 6 box with the regular Alt+Tab back in the day. Some tips I found handy for this type of boxing;
1) Tank positioned against a wall, preferably a corner.
2) Click off levitate on tank, as you might experience the tank starts to crawl up the wall on knockbacks etc.
3) Position the other classes so they are within the killzone of where mobs will be placed (in front of tank).
4) Then you can manually swap through alt+tab etc to quicky engage with target hotkeys and abilities.
5) Also place the healer within range of aggro abilities of the tank, so you dont have to chase down a mob if healer overaggroes.
6) Pull with either tank (or a toon you are comfortable with as puller) to killspot (corner/wall). After a while you will learn how to position the incoming mobs accordingly.
7) With multiple keyboards etc, you can then easily engage with the toons by pressing the hotkeys.
8) Breathe... remember to breathe ... =P

Personally I would avoid mercs as they drain gold, but you could probably run with 2 melee dps mercs instead of a healer merc, when you are familiar with the camp/pulls.

Thanks for the tips all, still working on getting it all set up, but I know it is going to be a blast. We have 5 total characters - SK/SHM/BRD/ZERK/BST, so room for 1 more, obviously will just throw some garbo merc in there for now haha.

At lvl 85 if we are still playing and I decide I want a 6th character, could I simply start up a lvl 85 hero character to place into our group?

Love this community!!!!

Thanks for the tips all, still working on getting it all set up, but I know it is going to be a blast. We have 5 total characters - SK/SHM/BRD/ZERK/BST, so room for 1 more, obviously will just throw some garbo merc in there for now haha.

At lvl 85 if we are still playing and I decide I want a 6th character, could I simply start up a lvl 85 hero character to place into our group?

Love this community!!!!
yup sure could

you have all your bases covered - I personally run another zerk in that group setup, but a cleric would be fine, a mage would be fine, a ranger would be fine, - slap in what you think you're going to enjoy the most and have a blast.

shammies are not the greatest solo healing until a bit later (and a rez stick), so cleric might give you some flexibility

If I asked my wife to play with me she would laugh

My wife does play with me.. ''play'' she press ''Q'' then nothing else, I run better alone with my bots :xd:

Just gonna take back my Ice encrusted Sum earring 100% luck from her so I can trade that for 15 kronos.

I play my 24 and the wife has her 6.. but shes always been about druids and casters, i do the tanks and melee, so mostly balances.. she has a alt rogue she likes.. i have necro alts..

I actually met my wife in original EQ. We've stopped playing for awhile, then started again, then stopped, and now started again, just something awesome about this game. I'm actually boxing a little this time, have been messing around with SK tank and Bard and have been having fun with it. I totally like the baldur's gate analogy. Wife just likes to stick with one character. The really cool thing is we got our son playing with us now. Hmmmm, 3 more kids and we could just have a full group!

Yea, I started up this week after 11+ year break. I found the auto-grant aa clicked it and got !@#$%ed off. (Back in my day....) I worked many hours to get in the top 5 AA ranking for my server and class. Now everyone gets it automatically. Oh well, turned it on my alts and now I can focus on getting 25+ levels up before the next expansion... next month. I plan to just 2 box with my brother's account for now. Ran MQ2 back then with VC+++.

Yea, I started up this week after 11+ year break. I found the auto-grant aa clicked it and got !@#$%ed off. (Back in my day....) I worked many hours to get in the top 5 AA ranking for my server and class. Now everyone gets it automatically. Oh well, turned it on my alts and now I can focus on getting 25+ levels up before the next expansion... next month. I plan to just 2 box with my brother's account for now. Ran MQ2 back then with VC+++.

I was actually a bit annoyed with it too at first. Even more so in that I didn't have the box checked when I started back and was grinding AA's for 3 weeks before someone mentioned it was an option. I was amazed to find that autogranting my main took me up a whole 400 AA's, which was less than stellar. But then my boxes certainly gained from it, getting 10k+ aa's each on new toons was certainly worth the krono imo.

Since we are on the topic of Krono... I've heard that using a Krono versus paying for 1mo sub is better as your account will go silver after the month? Otherwise it goes back green if you purchase the 1 mo sub? Something about that is the reason to pay more for the krono. Any truth to that?

Since we are on the topic of Krono... I've heard that using a Krono versus paying for 1mo sub is better as your account will go silver after the month? Otherwise it goes back green if you purchase the 1 mo sub? Something about that is the reason to pay more for the krono. Any truth to that?
There is a lot of truth to it as many here can testify.

However, it is not a hard and fast rule or guarantee and the powers that be at EQ do not support it. So if it doesn't work then you cannot file a petition about it to fix it.

I have a few accounts that I popped one Krono on to auto grant months or years ago and they turned Silver after the Krono wore off. It does not work with credit cards.

Welcome to the community!

"We will teach you how to live!" ~Barney Stinson

lol...

Welcome to RG. Find a groove that fits your play style and roll with it as you get used to running the whole team. At that level range I really liked PoF - C1/C2 if they are open.

1636640569167.png

giphy.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome all, got my box group to lvl 63...in BoT now, any advice on faster leveling?

Take a look at the Strategies section and that may help. Similar to what Jfrazi said, find a spot you like, and grind away. I've wasted so much time going to Baz, getting gear, then spells, then travelling to a new location, I may have been better off staying where I was for a few more levels.
Cheers.

Question - Brand New to this site/multi boxing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back