• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Brand new to EQ (1 Viewer)

m3taphase

RedCents
14¢
I am brand spankin new to EQ. What all advice and tips can y'all give to help a fella out. It seems that leveling is kinda slow. How long should it normally take to level to max?

Welcome,

You can start out by purchasing a "Heroic" character from Daybreak's Station cash store in-game (Gold DB button on your screen) these can run 35$.
This will grant you any class or race level 85 with a "starter pack" gear, etc.

You can also look into buying characters from our marketplace, we have several maxed out characters for 150-200$ currently. I would only do this if you understand the fundamentals already.

Leveling is slow, but fun if you're doing it by yourself without any assistance. If you're only playing 1 character I would recommend looking in to getting a few boxes, 2 more would do you great (3 real characters + 3 mercenaries ) It will probably take you 1 - 2 months of playing to get to Level 105 so don't be in to much of a rush.

Not sure what level you have gotten, or what server you're playing on. Post more information and I'm sure someone will be on the server you're currently on and can help you.

I am brand spankin new to EQ. What all advice and tips can y'all give to help a fella out. It seems that leveling is kinda slow. How long should it normally take to level to max?

Kyleo has answered slightly on the time to max, but I'd specifically recommend that you avoid an answer to this question. One of the things Everquest is BEST known for is it's depth of content all the way to max, and it's a shame when people rush to max and squander it. Just play the game and have fun! It's a bit solo-y on the low-mid end, but you will eventually run into people and have a grand time.

There is a massive amount of content to see. A nearly overwhelming amount. Make use of it while leveling! If you don't like an area you are playing, there are at least a dozen other options you could go explore.

Otherwise, as far as general advice, play whatever you want. All of the classes are relatively well balance and you can have fun.

I like kyleo's advice with 1 change, level a toon to about 30 or so the normal way, get to know the class with a healer merc...... then pop him to heroic when you feel comfortable in your ability to play him. The game has the standard trilogy of classes, tank, healer,dps so just pick the one you like and go from there. If you pick a healer then you prolly want a tank merc to start.... If you find you love ranged dps then I welcome you to my world of wizard's nuking the shit outta the universe.... Either way after level 30 or so you should either upgrade to heroic or buy a toon of the class you leveled to 30 and sky's the limit!

It only takes 1 level 105 to leverage your eq world as high as you want, trust me on that one...

My suggestion is TRY EVERY CLASS at least once...This will help you get the "FEEL" of things.
If your going to play only 1 toon, you might wish to look into the "SOLOable" classes. Now that category can vary from person to person (And if you ask which they are, I'm sure they WILL give you their opinion).

If you are starting due to a RL friend, ask them what they think a good fit for you would be.

As far as Leveling, Well I like (as suggested above) to "play them" as I level. Power Leveling to max is no fun in my opinion. But again, if starting do to a RL friend, you may wish to get leveled faster. Thats when you need to ask that friend to help you (seeing as they would be the reason you are here in the 1st place.

Thank you guys for quick responses. I will probably power level my first toon just to be able to sustain a comfortable living so to speak. I also play WoW and that's one of the reasons I am starting EQ, because the depth and lore. I was just curious about the time frame for leveling per toon when you actually follow the quest lines and actually explore the game. Also any special or interesting lore you guys particularly like or think I should explore.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a friend in RL who has talked about it a few times. I'm getting bored of WoW and figured why not. He said this site has some helpful tools and tips.

How long? well in my case I can take a level 1 and at the end of day 1 he is level 57-60
Day 2 he is 75
Day 3 he is 85
Then it slows down and by day 7 or 8 he is 100ish
100-105 takes a few days then its AA time!
AAs are the true power of any class, some classes take 2 weeks to AA some take over a month! When you get over 15k AAs they start to go SO slow! Think about that before choosing an SK or Shammy and spend over a month on AAs....

- - - Updated - - -

Regular play, level 30 in about oh 2 days I guess... if you have help or friends to play with... If you can get defiant gear you can soar in levels fast

The tutorial quests are fun and a good way to learn eq, get mq2 loaded obviously and do all the quests in the tutorial don't leave it until you are like level 10 or so and have killed the big boss in the cave there can't remember his name, it's a fun fight... then you will have a pretty good grasp on what eq is like, there will be plenty of people here willing to help with macros we use, how we box what zones to level in and tricks of the trade etc. my path to level a new char is probably very different from how a new player does it...

I always hand in red wine in west Freeport to lady shae from 1-21 (about an hour) then I do 21-70 (2 hours) in the hatching a plan mission with my 105 sk and then 70-85 I PL doing swarming with my 100 sk (shadow knight) (2 hours) when they are 85 I just stick them in my tds group that does the thuliasaur heroic... That takes them to 105 in a day or two...

Anyway as razkle said, if you have a 105 getting others there is easy, the hard part is getting that first one there, and doing it solo can take a really long time...

I would recommend leveling a few chars at once using kissassist instead where 2 toons assist and you play the third yourself while having 3 merc up. A good trio would be you playing a shadow knight, assisted by a enchanter and a Mage cause then you get an extra tank as well in the mages pet, then a healer merc and a couple wizzys should make exp roll in fast.

On ragefire I started a full group of level 1s we killed stuff in nektulous forest at newbie log until we dinged 5, then moved to the north killing orcs and then at 10 or so we killed the spiders way up north, 10-11 orcs in commons then I can't remember what I did until 20 but I know at 20 I did giant wholly spiders in everfrost for a few levels then the Orc camp there at like 25 to 28 then uhm shadowed men in lesser faydark for a couple levels and then I went to mistmore castle and levitated up to that sweet spot behind the garden camp and just pulled mobs from garden up over the wall, no one ever trains you back there and it's so safe you can actually bind up there...
Stayed there until 40 or so then went to lower guk and camped arch Mage and frenzy until like level 45 then off to ocean of tears killing cyclops and getting my whole team jboots while leveling there I think we all stayed until level 50 or maybe just 48 I can't remember I was back in guk at the king camp as well for a few levels.
At 50 we went to sebilis and just took the hierophant camp until like level 55 or so, I can't even remember if we stayed in seb until we hit 60 it's very likely.

From there on I wouldn't know cause I been to busy working on mq2, but if you want to go the old school route that would probably be it with some variations here and there, total time was like 2 weeks or so.

Last edited:
I just did a post on a 6 box team, Warrior, Cleric, Chanter, Wiz, Wiz, Wiz and when they hit 105 with zero AAs they were ready to put on gear and box! They have over 600 AAs in less then a day from hitting 105 but it is because it is a full group of real toons and as they get more AAs they just get stronger! In 2 weeks they will be maxed toons!

I heard rogue was the best dps so I started one on the thinking the fast I kill things= faster leveling and faster farming. I am currently using a tank merc. Although I am thinking about making a warrior or pally as my main. I'm just not sure what max level farming is like. So what would be best for max level farming DPS with tank merc or Tank with either heal or dps merc? Also is there an "appropriate" place to post like a daily adventure summary or is that not allowed on these forums?

Rogue is actually not, the beastload and the Berzerker seems to be.... but the rogue has "other" talents that do make him fun!

- - - Updated - - -

All of them pale next to my wizzies though! mwahahahahaha!

- - - Updated - - -

Just remember
Wow vs EQ
Warrior = Warrior
Wiz = Wiz
Paladin = Paladin
Rogue = Rogue
DK = SK
Shammy = Shammy
so on and so on
Except!
Hunter does NOT equal Ranger!
Hunter = Half Beastlord Half Ranger
Mage does not equal mage, they are quite different

if you are fairly new to EQ I highly recommend collecting bookmarks!

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/

Excellent for referencing most anything EQish. Spells...mobs...quests...items... what ever. It is of course limited if you are not a paid subscriber, but it is a piddling cost for a years sub. The "free" version still rocks how ever =) Recall though that it is a player driven information site... so it is only as good as the folks who contribute

http://www.eqresource.com/

The newest competitor to Zam. They were free, then decided to go paid like Zam. Still the free section rock. Think of it as a watered down skinny version of Zam with slightly different presentation. It can be easier to navigate for looking up tasks/mobs. It also hosts the latest map packs for the last few expansions. It is also player driven for information..so there is that... heh.

http://eq.magelo.com/

The old Toon Braggin Rights website also happens to be an excellent mob lookup site. I use this when the info I find on Zam of EQResource just is not lining up with practical ingame stuff (like where the heck IS this damn Pher....) their site sponsors a location marker for actual engagements of mobs and records them on the site's zone maps.

http://everquest.wikia.com/wiki/Everquest_Wiki
General "I got an EQ question" information

http://www.eqtraders.com/
For all your tradeskill questions. Zam also has lists of tradeskill recipes... but hunting them down is meh. The Trader's Corner has them in a better format, along with where to find them. Generally I use this site plus Zam to hunt down specific items needed for make tradeskill stuff.

http://www.eqinterface.com/
Site for altering your ingame user interface. If you poke around here there are some that have MQ specific code. I have dabbled in a few (to get it working on my boxes) holler if you need help.

http://www.raidloot.com/Default.aspx?z_id=cof1
If you are into raiding eventually, raid phat lewtz!

http://samanna.net/eq.general/commands.shtml
General ingame EQ commands and what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_yVGPd0ns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5y_VpHp8o&index=3&list=PLVn0ga5lvJ_Cj1suByHijN93uMeCZVEWi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5V71P2vFGQ

And just some REALLY OLD EQ videos. Probably wont make much sense to you with out the background as to why they are amusing, but you can see the old style graphics of the FIRST EVER true 3D MMORPG.

First one is the classic "has anyone here seen my corpse" warning... banjos!

The second one bring Raz to mind... heh. (I wish Guild Mirage would not have hunted down and killed the other videos they did...) when CCH was a common raid stratagy. That is Chain Complete Heal (10 second cast time so you have to get a line of clerics aimed at the main tank and start a rotation so they landed one after the other) as opposed to Celestial heal... which was one of the first ever cleric Heal over Time spells =)

Last video is the first ever arena 6v6 fight. I got to participate in the serverwide competition but computer was not beefy enough and lagged out during the fight, ARGH! Still... fun to watch.

Anyways... I am babbling again. Hope some of those links help. There are of course more links on this site and each of the ones I listed. There are also plenty of class specific sites that can be very helpful.

Last edited:
How long to level to Max?

I've been playing about 10 years. My highest level character is 97 of 105. I've never had a max level character. I have, however, played ever available character to at least mid-level and explored most of the group content to my current level. My son-in-law asked me just the other day what is the purpose of the game?... my answer to waste time. It is relatively cheap entertainment. I started a brand new 6 box group about one week ago, they are now leveled to 70-85 and working on being equipped.

The truest answer is.... It depends on you.

There was also a contest held last month on the best routes for reaching level 75. There are some great power leveling strategies, and some great explanations of old-school and lore based leveling.

http://www.redguides.com/community/...-AA-rares-Tell-us-your-favorite-way-to-lvl-75

Paying for a sub becomes worth it as well as you gain access to General chat which I have found a wonderful source of knowledge and help, As well as a great way to find people to play with. As a free player you wont have access to that channel.

Highly recommend instead of paying for a sub straight up, you use a krono for your first activation. Once your game time expires your account will be a silver account instead of bronze, allowing you a few extra perks.

If you're playing on Tunare you're welcome to PM me and I'll gladly help out as well

Highly recommend instead of paying for a sub straight up, you use a krono for your first activation. Once your game time expires your account will be a silver account instead of bronze, allowing you a few extra perks.

Is this actually true? I thought people could only get silver accounts these days if they had a really old account?

Any confirmation? Because this is awesome if so.

Is this actually true? I thought people could only get silver accounts these days if they had a really old account?

Any confirmation? Because this is awesome if so.

There was a post from Razkle talking about it awhile ago, I will see if I can find it. Also the accounts I have purchased from him have been all been Silver ones, though from his estimated timelines it seems like they would've been roughly 2 or 3 months old by that time.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.redguides.com/community/showthread.php/37892-From-All-Access-to-Free?highlight=Silver+Account

Razkle's post at the bottom, as of February. I'll be testing it out tonight and let you know in a month :)

Question - Brand new to EQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back