• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Best 6-box for Old Raid Content (1 Viewer)

Mushok

RedCents
20¢
Hello -

I am looking to create 3 additional accounts to 6-box old content (HoT, VoA, RoF).

I currently 3-box an SK, Mage, and Shaman (110); and, would like your suggestions on 3 classes to round out the group.

I am thinking:

SK, Shaman, Mage, Druid, Zerker, Bard
or
SK, Shaman, Mage, Cleric, Mage, Wiz

I am not sure whether a druid would have the healing chops in the first set. Would certainly welcome any input.

Add 1 Enchanter, 1 Druid, 1 Mage

Enchanter gives you awesome Crowd Control, mana regen, big dps boosts for named (IOG & Haze).
Druid gives you transport, some more dps and dps boosts, and plenty of additional healing to complement the shammy.
Mage just gives you more stackable dps with some emergency tanking if the SK goes down.

If it is for a group of 110s, I would go with whatever your tank and healer of choice is (I still prefer war and cleric personally..), your cc of choice (I go with bard unless I can actually play the ench), and then 3 dps of choice. There is the huge boost you get and having 3 of the same class. Personally if I was starting again I would go with the Berserkers.

But I played through all those eras with Warrior, Cleric, Bard, Shaman, Mage, Wiz. I also had a Dru and Necro that I sometimes swapped in. I really like the utility from the classes. Say someone dies and it is the cleric or warrior so bad news... my wiz can evac the group with 1 click and it is instant. (Dru can do it too). Now back at zone in, the Necro can summon the corpse (for free), rez it, and we are back fighting again. The whole thing created a few minutes downtime. But when I played without the Necro... eugh. What I used to do if I had someone die in the depths of Chardok or something, I would suicide my mage, then play my bard and do /corpsedrag on the mage, and the bard can run through the entire zone without getting hit more or less. So I would just sprint through the zone, grab any old corpses, and to right near where I want to hunt, use a rez clickie on the mage, summon the whole group. It worked but it was a lot longer and more stressful than the necro thing. Also the FD did save me from a wipe a few times too. Like when something goes so wrong that I don't even have time to evac, but if I get my necro to FD, everyone can die, camp clears, and then my necro stands up and uses rez clickie on the cleric and we are back in business. It saves so much time.....

Basically I love the utility of different classes, evac, fd, rez, double invis, summoning the group, etc, these types of things can really affect how the game plays.. But yeah.. if I was starting again I would still probably just go with 3 zerks. You don't need utility so much when you can steamroll mobs in seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Since I already have a Shaman as back-up heals, Ihink I will go with Druid as healer for the additional utility.

It sounds like the two decision points are:

Bard vs. Chanter (cc, mana regen, sustained dps support vs. burst dps support)
Mage vs. Zerker

A few follow up questions for you two:

Would one of the DPS classes make more sense to pair with one of the cc classes (bard vs. chanter)?
Would one of the cc classes be better in older raid content (thinking revamped ToV, etc.)?
Would either of the cc classes be easier to box?

Really appreciate y'all's perspective.

For a long time my group had Shaman and Druid. I chose it specifically because I hoped it would be better than having a cleric because of how much dps they can both do and yet combined healing should be plenty to heal everyone in the group. It did work, but it turned out to not be that great for me and I felt like my tank's health was so spiky (one minute I am 99% so my characters are happy to nuke, a second later I am 25% and close to dying.) So the healers bugged me because they were constantly trying to nuke or dot and kept interrupting themselves to save my tank. And often they would both end up so focused on healing that they barely got to cast anything else. In the end it bugged me so much that I ditched the Druid and levelled up a Cleric who took care of healing alone, and the Shaman could focus much more on DPS and only healed in emergencies. I preferred it much more. But with a stronger tank and faster reacting Kiss11, I think the Shm+Dru might work out better. p.s. My tank is full BIS but without raid gear or prestige. So it caps him at a lower level than some peoples uber tanks, which means less spiky damage. Although he is no slouch either so I was always surprised to see 75% of his health plummet in a split second, regularly. (When fighting whites and stuff anyway).

Bard vs Chanter: I have a 110 bard that I love, but the highest I've played a chanter to is about 90 ish. The Bard kinda sucks before fading memories, and after that it is an incredible class. I can literally guarantee a 100% successful pull of a single mob every time, with not even any risk... Up to level 90 with my Enc I would have to just run up to mobs (and not as fast as a bard runs up to stuff), cast paci on them one by one or an area paci, and hope it doesn't fail and aggro them. If it does it could be bad news for me. Yeah you can area stun stuff and mez it all and some other cool enc tricks, but not every mob can be mezzed, and not every mob can be stunned either which can easily lead to a dead ench... A Bard however does not have those problems. But I am sure they both do fine. And both are good dps too.

Mage vs Zerker I would go Mage because I like the mix of magic and physical damage, and any lacking in dps is more than made up for with things like the DS and group invis, summoning players, etc. I wuv mages. But I'd go zerk if I could have 3 of them together to mash stuff.

I think consensus is that druids are better with caster dps, and bards are better with melee dps. I never tested it but again, I have a hardon for bards because they are so strong in a full group. They are no slouch when it comes to spell and melee buffs and mana regen etc. Both chanter and bard seemed very easy to box. I barely had to use them at all. I just set them up in kiss with a spell for single target and AE mezzes and they handled everything. I mostly played with the bard and he was a bit slow sometimes, I assumed because he was getting resisted on his first mez. So things can get a bit scary. But mostly he took care of mezzing like a player would so I was really happy I didn't even have to think about the CC job. And I bet with Kiss11 it is even better. I still haven't had time to play with that yet.

Last edited:
Do enchanter. I played a bard as a main for years and years, but adding a chanter to my group changed EVERYTHING. I live through shit now that would have wiped the same group with a bard twice over.

Here are my two groups and why I chose the classes for each:

Caster Group:
Shadow Knight - Tank
Cleric - Healer
Shaman - Buff/Debuff
Enchanter - CC/Debuff/DPS
Magician - DPS (plus goodies)
Wizard - DPS/DPS/oh and DPS

Melee Group:
Shadow Knight - Tank
Cleric - Healer
Shaman - Buff/Debuff
Bard - CC/Buff/Debuff
Ranger - DPS
Berserker - DPS

Hope that helps. I've mained a Mag for years so playing the tank has taken getting used to.

Question - Best 6-box for Old Raid Content

Users who are viewing this thread

Back