• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Avoiding AoE in Skyfire (RoS)? (1 Viewer)

scorge

RedCents
33¢
I tried out Skyfire (RoS) for the first time tonight and keep getting blasted by the "invis drake man". What I gather is happening is that if I'm within a certain range of a drake I get hit by this thing. It's less annoying when fighting something but when I was regrouping after a wipe it was absolutely annoying. Posting up in the caves in the SW part of the zone seems to be safe from drakes also the very NE camp. But the xp is great and I'd like to use more of the zone.

Any tips on dealing with this?

I tried out Skyfire (RoS) for the first time tonight and keep getting blasted by the "invis drake man". What I gather is happening is that if I'm within a certain range of a drake I get hit by this thing. It's less annoying when fighting something but when I was regrouping after a wipe it was absolutely annoying. Posting up in the caves in the SW part of the zone seems to be safe from drakes also the very NE camp. But the xp is great and I'd like to use more of the zone.

Any tips on dealing with this?
Keep moving. There are a couple of spots that are safe, like in the caves, but for the most part you can't hunt in a traditional camp style, and need to keep moving and heal through.

What also sucks is they pick on/near pcs to land, so if you are stacked you can get a bunch at the same spot

It is definitely not a fun zone to xp in

You can kill the drakes that are casting this on you. Basically the way this zone works is that there are drake mobs that "fly" high above the ground level apart from the typical zone mobs. These drakes do not proximity agro on you by the traditional means, but they will cast their fireball spell thing on anyone nearby. They will not follow the PC and engage in melee, they will stay in the sky and just constantly drop shit on you. You can either run out of range, in which case they "forget" about you and move on or you can kill them. If you look up in the sky or use your map to target them, you can hit them with ranged attacks or spells. Once you hit them, they'll come down to ground level and fight like a regular mob. Whenever I fight in this zone, I just treat them like a regular mob and tag them if they get in range. Once they're on the ground, they don't drop fireballs.

I have a cheap little routine that I call when in that zone to avoid them. It's not perfect, but it helps.
Code:
Sub AvoidTraps
    /declare    intLocalDebug        int        local    1
    /declare    intLocalIterations    int        local    1
    /if (${intLocalDebug} > 1) /echo [ TRAPS! ] Checking...

|Check for Drake Fireballs:
    /if (!${NearestSpawn[npc radius 50 alert 5].ID}) /return

|Found a Trap, get clear!
    /if (${intLocalDebug}) /echo [ TRAPS! ] Trap Detected!  Moving!

:trapbackup
    /varcalc intLocalIterations ${intLocalIterations} + 1
    /stand
    /keypress back hold
    /delay 5
    /doevents
    /if (${intLocalDebug}) /echo [ TRAPS! ] Distance: ${NearestSpawn[npc radius 50 alert 5].Distance}
    /if (${NearestSpawn[npc alert 5].Distance} < 50) {
        /if (${intLocalIterations} < 10) /goto :trapbackup
    }

/if (${intLocalDebug}) /echo [ TRAPS! ] I think I'm safe now.
    /keypress back

/return

Question - Avoiding AoE in Skyfire (RoS)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back