• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

News - April 2023 Producer's Letter including TLP "Oakwynd" May 2023 (1 Viewer)

Sic

[sic]
RedCents
25,730¢
Pronouns
He/Him

Greetings, Norrathians! As we're already heading into April, there are still so many exciting things on the horizon that we can't wait to reveal. (Expect us to drop a hint or two along the way, of course. We usually can't completely contain our excitement.) Before that though, in keeping with our 2023 Roadmap, let's rattle off some of the things we've already accomplished. We’ve unlocked all of the Night of Shadows raids (which has been going very well so far with the new content being tackled by many and several new raids unlocking), added new content to the Erollisi Day event, "ship'ed" completely new content for Brew Day, and, of course, celebrated our 24th Anniversary. If you haven't gotten all your party gifts from the anniversary celebration, be sure to login before April 20, 2023, 11:00 p.m. PDT. <Jchan launches fireworks into the air.>

801.jpg
781.jpg

As we enthusiastically embrace springtime and move forward toward the summer months, we have so much planned that will both improve the game and entice all of you. Let’s look at what we’ve accomplished so far here in 2023.

Completed:

And now I get to share with you what’s happening in the coming weeks and months. First, the new UI Engine is almost here. In the beginning, it's going to launch with the engine running with a few windows already ported. This will allow us to make sure the base of the engine works and is hooked up with everything it should be. Once that is stable, we'll continue porting the remaining windows until every part of the original engine has been ported. That porting process is expected to take a while. Second, Tempest Festival will receive new content. June will see the return of Pride Month familiars with a new set of friends.

Upcoming later this year:

• April
    • New UI Engine Initial Launch - Full engine launch with some of the windows ported to the new engine.
  • May
    • New Content for Tempest Festival
    • New Evolving Ruleset Progression Server - Oakwynd
  • June
    • New Pride Month Familiars
  • Throughout the Year
    • Porting More Windows to the New UI Engine
    • Zone Performance Improvements
421.jpg

And now, what many of you have been waiting for, our brand-new Progression Server named Oakwynd will launch on May 24, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. PDT.* as an Evolving Ruleset Progression Server.

"What does that mean?" you ask. As mentioned in passing before, this will be a truly experimental year. It starts out at launch with something we call Legacy characters and encounter locking. Then at each expansion unlock, an additional bonus will be added to the server. Note: the details of these rules are under development and may change before release.

Legacy characters allow your characters on the same account on the server to receive a semi-permanent experience bonus.

• When players reach max level (for the current era) with a character, their account receives an experience bonus for all characters on that server.
  • e.g., When a player has 1 max level character, their account receives a 10% bonus EXP buff.
  • When a player has 2 max-level characters, the buff stacks. They now get 20% bonus EXP.
    • This bonus caps at a 100% bonus.
    • When the server's level cap increases, players will lose the buff until they get one of their characters to max level again, and the bonus starts again at 10%.
Additionally, this server will be our first attempt at encounter locking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. If an actively locked NPC loses aggro for a short time period, the NPC will go home, reset, then unlock.

Now onto the Evolving part. For each expansion unlock, we're planning on adding the following benefits to the server. Each benefit will add to the existing instead of replacing the benefits active on the server (unless it's a higher value of an existing benefit). For example, using the list below, when The Scars of Velious unlocks, Legacy Characters, Encounter Locking, and a 125% modifier to the normal loot rate will already be unlocked and with the unlock a 125% modifier to the normal faction changes will be added. These are currently what we have planned for the unlocks:

• Classic - Legacy Characters and Encounter Locking
  • The Ruins of Kunark - Loot Modifier - 125%
  • The Scars of Velious - Faction Modifier - 125%
  • The Shadows of Luclin - AA EXP Modifier - 125%
  • The Planes of Power - Coin Drop Modifier - 150%
  • The Legacy of Ykesha - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 85%
  • Lost Dungeons of Norrath - Alternate Currency Modifier - 150%
  • Gates of Discord - Tribute Donation Modifier - 200% - Relax Truebox to 3
  • Omens of War - Rare Spawn Modifier - 200%
  • Dragons of Norrath - Faction Modifier - 200%
  • Depths of Darkhollow - Evolving Item EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Prophecy of Ro – Chance to Increase Skills Modifier (includes Tradeskills) - 200%
  • The Serpent's Spine - Loot Modifier - 200% - Remove Truebox
  • The Buried Sea - Alternate Currency Modifier - 200%
  • Secrets of Faydwer - Faction Modifier - 300%
  • Seeds of Destruction - EXP Modifier - 125%
  • Underfoot - Tribute Use Reduction - 75%
  • House of Thule - AA EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Veil of Alaris - Alternate Currency Modifier - 250%
  • Rain of Fear - Collection Spawn Time Modifier - 75%
  • Call of the Forsaken - Mercenary AA EXP Modifier - 200%
  • The Darkened Sea - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 70%
  • The Broken Mirror - EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Empires of Kunark - Rare Spawn Modifier - 300%
  • Ring of Scale - AA EXP Modifier - 175%
  • The Burning Lands - Luck Modifier - 125%
  • Torment of Velious - Evolving Item EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Claws of Veeshan - AA EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Terror of Luclin - EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Night of Shadows - Rare Spawn Modifier - 400%
Oakwynd will have the "Standard Unlock" schedule as many other progression servers. This is where new expansions unlock automatically every 8-12 weeks with the early expansions unlocking faster.

Unlock Schedule:

• Eight weeks after launch: Ruins of Kunark
  • Eight weeks later: Scars of Velious
  • Eight weeks later: Shadows of Luclin
  • Eight weeks later: Planes for Power and Legacy of Ykesha
  • Twelve weeks later: Lost Dungeons of Norrath
  • Four weeks later: Gates of Discord
  • At this point the schedule becomes consistent. Enjoy expansions for twelve weeks when a new level cap is unlocked, and eight weeks in expansions where the level cap stays the same.
True Box:

• This server starts with standard True Box. Only one EverQuest client may be run per computer.
  • When Omens of War unlocks, we will move to a Relaxed True Box. You may have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time.
  • When The Buried Sea unlocks, True Box will be removed.
401.jpg

Did you know we're hiring? Have you ever dreamed of building something amazing in Norrath? Darkpaw Games is recruiting! We are a content-creation guild on the San Diego server! We raid Monday through Friday (times vary) and use a DPH (Dollars Per Hour) Loot System. We are currently looking for aspiring Bards (artists), but all classes are encouraged to apply! If you’re interested in joining, please contact our recruitment officer here. We look forward to meeting you!

We can't close this Producer's Letter without acknowledging our 24th Anniversary. What an absolute thrill to celebrate two dozen years of bringing our EverQuest family entertainment that has sustained so many for so long. Regardless of when you joined us, we sincerely appreciate all of you. Here’s looking forward to our Silver Jubilee! (Fun fact: A 25-year anniversary is also referred to as a quadranscentennial. We probably won’t use that term next year.)

Time to get back to working on the things listed in our Roadmap and the next expansion!

Be the heroes Norrath needs,

Jenn Chan
Head of Studio

New TLP Oakwynd - May 2023
- This server starts with standard True Box. Only one EverQuest client may be run per compute
- When Omens of War unlocks, we will move to a Relaxed True Box. You may have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same tim
- When The Buried Sea unlocks, True Box will be removed.

The encounter lock mechanic sounds like something from EQ2. This will kill off anybody trying to power level or help out. This is one mechanic I didn't like about EQ2.

The encounter lock mechanic sounds like something from EQ2. This will kill off anybody trying to power level or help out. This is one mechanic I didn't like about EQ2.

I think they did that in EQ2 because they had received a ton of complaints in EQ1 about kill stealing and training to the zone line. I remember back in the day people running for their lives spammin train to zone train to zone after I popped into Najena.

Enchanter mem blur won’t even work because the unlock will not happen until the mob goes back to its spawn point. DS power leveling might be the way to go. I know you wont be able to cast on the mob but not sure if out of group healing during the fight would be allowed.

Just mumbling and rambling as I wait for Live to fully come back up.

Be well.

they seem hell bent on removing any means to PLVL... god i hate to even say it.. but outside group DS gonna go away?...

I'm not convinced it's awful. They're clearly trying to create a specific environment on the new server and are - probably justifiably - irritated at how easily their other unique servers have been capitalized on by box crews (even on truebox servers). It seems to me they're trying to create rules that force a return to the original style of play for EQ. Might not be my cup of tea, but I'm not sure I hate it (yet).

This TLP sounds absolutely atrocious, and I was really excited to give it a go this time around, sigh.
First of all, why on earth is there not free trade? FV is a massive success, Mischief is a massive success; are they really just that ignorant to what their own community want or enjoy? Completely insane.
Encounter locking? Let's turn this into EQ2/WoW, I can't wait to see how much drama this is going to cause, and how many spawns you can just keep engaged indefinitely to fuck over anyone else wanting the named/camp (Not to mention everyone is going to use third party programs and macros to insta tag everything).
A bunch of gimmick bonuses, like..who actually cares about having several max level characters on the same account? The 0.05% that reroll another class in a later expansion? I'd rather have the ability to power level and be power leveled by my friends, but..encounter locking eh!
Same boring Truebox rules as last time around, which go into action far too late.

Honestly I feel like they really missed the mark on this one, they could've made a mischief clone and been hugely succesful, but instead they try to be ExPeRiMeNtAl and fuck everything up because they are completely out of touch with their player base.

Wild, i dont like the mob lock mechanic. But i guess it stops people from training, or you can train and easily clear paths for little toons since they wont engage until they reset?

The modifiers to me look like a good idea if you are trying to boost high end toons, increased drop rate, ez mode, so later on when server merges\xfers happen for example, you have higher quality toons to feed raid guilds or atleast handle current content. - Kind of a bummer, i was hoping for something that would fire me up. =)

The problem I see with the mob lock mecanic is what happens if you heal your group near social mobs. If I heal my tank while someone is killing another mob near me, does the mob agro my healer? How can I get rid of the mob?

For me it's another year not playing eq.

The problem I see with the mob lock mecanic is what happens if you heal your group near social mobs. If I heal my tank while someone is killing another mob near me, does the mob agro my healer? How can I get rid of the mob?

yeah i have a BUNCH of "hrm i wonder if they have this figured out" things like that.

I can't wait to hear stories of mobs that are stuck in geometry and are doing the reset over and over thing (think fishies).

does fade abilities actually work? suspect.

Yea when they said "experimental" I was thinking more along the lines of classic launch with all classes unlocked (y'know like something everyone has asked for). Not something that could have potential negative impact.

I don't, and have never done TLP, so I don't have a chicken in this fight, but sometimes a spectacular failure can clarify your thinking.

So, it may be fun to make some popcorn and sit back and watch the shenanigans unfold.

I can't believe this is the best they have "come" up with, as mentioned by others .. yes it is a experimental test.
but the way i look at it is they want to test a eq1 version of eq2's locked encounter and by tricking us to play they "give" us pearks in each exp. i will be there to try it out, but i won't be there playing the TLP and spend a decent amount of time that is for sure.

yeah i have a BUNCH of "hrm i wonder if they have this figured out" things like that.

I can't wait to hear stories of mobs that are stuck in geometry and are doing the reset over and over thing (think fishies).

does fade abilities actually work? suspect.
Players ask on forums have you thought this through DBG?

Daybreak game say...of course...here's our plan...

Cat Pain GIF

The way it's worded, which may not be at all the way it works, is that only dps and debuff abilities are affected by the encounter lock. Out-of-group healing could be a huge loophole for encounter assisting. But from what I can tell, they're not worried about powerleveling or assisting out of group, they're targeting the kill-steal, dps race griefing with this.

Your example, specifically, the healer would not generate agro on the mob in question because you're not healing the person that is fighting it.

I don't think this is targeting ks'ing or griefing at all, it's a direct attack on people that sell Aoe power leveling -- In fact the FTE system will be far more prone to grief than DPS racing ever was. Just wait until people start doing key quests / epics and people with third party programs/macros and instant clickies keep mobs engaged indefinitely until they find a buyer. FTE also fucks over people based on how far away they live from the servers in any sort of mob engagement contest, goodluck overcoming that 200-300 ping difference. I don't think they genuinely thought this through, and the very few people that seme to think FTE is a good idea is the super casual crowd that don't understand all the new ways in which they will get fucked over trying to play the game legitimately.

I'm also genuinely confused what they think FTE is going to solve on live servers, since the whole idea behind this "CrAzY ExPeRiMeNtAl TLP" was something they wanted to add to live servers...? I know I'm super biased, and feel super blue balled by these rules, but I still feel this is the biggest red flag I've seen from a gaming company since the Blizzard Diablo Immortal announcement; it looks like they are completely out of touch with their player base. They want to force a mechanic that no one wanted, and that seemingly doesn't solve more issues than it will cause -- a function which will fundamentally change the game that people are playing mostly for nostalgic reasons AND they are only launching one server because they know no one would play this garbage if given the chance.

I am really worried for the future of EQ...

Probably wrong place to ask this..blame my old age and dense nature. What does everyone think of the ui changes? For me when I get crashes it is usually a direct x thing or ui so not a fan of them messing with it. I used to use custom pieces but just got tired of updating or crashing so use the regular ui. Just a if it isn't broke don't mess with it guy. What is others opinions?

Am I the only one that finds it hilarious the number of times"third part programs" have been bitched about in this thread, on this site?

It's not that surprising to me, I assume most people that play on live or MQ-friendly servers are reasonable and mature adults that just want to play the game the way they enjoy it, while staying away from trouble to the best of their ability -- that is NOT what people mean when they talk about third party programs on a TLP. There is a history of insane abuse and grief when it comes to TLP servers. Imagine working really hard for your epic, but there's some npc that has a long respawn time that you need for a hand-in, you sit and camp it, unfortunately the other 10 people doing the same have third party programs that automatically turn in the item and the npc disappears before even loading into the world. Now imagine wanting to kill a named, whether for a high value item, an epic piece, or even a raid encounter, only to see 10 shadowknights instantly harm touch it before it renders. TLPs tend to bring out both the worst kind of people, and the worst in people. It doesn't take that many assholes to ruin the experience for everyone. Now add in instant tagging mobs, holding them ransom until the person finds a buyer, warping and all that jazz..

Maybe I'm optimistic, but that is genuinely not the kind of behaviour I would expect from the average redguides user...

They have agents of change and picks in TLP too

But I also didn't see "third party programs" mentioned as much in 5page threads about it on eqforums lol

So you think agents of change or picks will stop the griefing or make it okay that third party software is used purposely to grief other players? And you don't see the difference between that use of third party software and what most people use it for on this very forum?
Also the official forum has a ~60? page thread about this TLP ruleset and how much everyone hates it, third party software is mentioned quite often. Since it is an official forum it is subject to moderation by daybreak staff, and third party software mention is obviously not allowed.

I do believe that at the start of this TLP we are gonna see even more issues when farming plain plat camps, and golden eff. boots and such items, as when yelinak launched there were warping, huge camp issues and farmers doing anything they could to keep camps (and train / keep other players out).

Personal im ok with trying the encounter locking even tho we "lose" AOE power leveling, but i do wish we had the same ruleset as Mischief. As we cannot deny that this ruleset is amazing for everyone involve, krono farmers, boxers or "normal" casuals alike we all benefit from that system.
But lets see what happens once Daybreak gets done reading the feedback they have received from everyone.

Just my 2c.

No matter what changes are made there will be people that find ways to abuse the system. Some will just want easy mode for themselves, some will want ransom payments, some will just try and break the game for fun, and so on. To me it is a waste of effort enforcing by change rather than just better enforcement. I also don't think the question "Does this change make the game more fun to play?" is being asked by anyone in charge. Maybe it is and they don't have a clue about what fun is? I'm no TLP player but if I was this isn't the server for me. It will get so abused. They might need timers on spawn aggro lock which will hurt solo characters and just make things complicated and messy. Might be fun reading the comments about the chaos.

I understand everyones want to be like Mischief and FV with Free Trade. To be the perfect server would be Mischief, with truebox off, or if using the staggered concept methodology, doing it in like... 3 for POP 6 for OoW... something to combat the level 70 snorefest of GOD OOW DODH POR...

The big issue I would see of a server like this, is it would likely kill Mischief itself. 80% of the draw for TLP cycle is to play til POP then move on. Mischief has seen great success, and has alot more people pushing further content than usual. Another Mischief / FV server would likely stick a dagger in Mischief.

I'm personally convinced that the FTE mechanics is primarily intended to put an end to training and a few train related exploits like AE PL'ing. What I'm interpreting the description of going home, resetting and then unlocking to indicate is that if you lose aggro by fading that you can reengage the mob before it resets and unlocks and it's still your mob.

Maybe I am wrong but we will see. If I am right about it then we'd notice no real changes in mob behavior in any instances at all

Thank you all for the continued feedback regarding the next TLP, Oakwynd. We want you to know we hear you, and we’ve been carefully monitoring your comments and suggestions. By no means are we done so please continue to keep it civil and keep it coming. Here is what we’ve already decided to change based on your feedback:
  • We will change the account lock for Agents of Change instances to be character based instead of account based. Note, this rule will be attached to the Legacy Characters Ruleset, so if future servers get the Legacy Characters Ruleset, they will also experience this change.
  • We will make it so No Drop items that are NOT Free-Trade No Drop will automatically be Heirloom items. This does not affect items that are already Heirloom, they will stay Heirloom. Note, this rule will be attached to the Legacy Characters Ruleset, so if future servers get the Legacy Characters Ruleset, they will also experience this change.
  • We will combine Omens of War and Dragons of Norrath to open on the same day (with the normal one-hour gap). This change is for Oakwynd and there are no current plans to apply this to Yelinak.
We’re also working on an FAQ specifically based on your questions and feedback about the Encounter Locking feature. Here is just a small part of what we have so far (and once we have more, we will update you here):

Q: What is EncounterLocking? What isthe goal for Encounter Locking?
A:The Encounter Locking feature will allow the first person that engages an NPC the ability to prevent others from interfering with the fight. A primary goal with adding this feature is to mitigate issues we've seen regarding kill-stealing and training in the early TLP experience before content becomes more instance based as the expansions unlock.

Q: How is the lock applied?
A: The lock is applied to the first player that gets added to an NPC’s hatelist. This could be via a player attacking the NPC directly or the NPC attacking a player.

Q: How is the lock removed?
A: The lock is removed a short time after the NPC leaves combat. If someone on the lock list attacks the NPC within the period before it unlocks, the countdown will be reset, and the NPC will remain locked.

Q: Can members be added mid fight to the group or raid?
A: Yes. The lock is owned by an individual player. The group or raid that they currently belong to is the one that “owns” the lock. Players that are currently in the same group or raid as that player will be able to attack. Those that are not will not be able to attack.

Q: Will this prevent assisting/helping other players?
A: No. If a player would like assistance from someone outside their group or raid, they can target the NPC and use /yell. This will semi-unlock the NPC and allow anyone to attack it. Once unlocked using /yell, the NPC cannot be locked again until it leaves combat, and the original lock is removed.

Q: Will there be any changes with how loot or experience is awarded?
A: No. Loot and experience will be awarded to the person/group/raid that does the most damage to the NPC.

Q: If a player dies while pulling an NPC, can it be locked by someone else immediately or does it need to revert back to its spawn point?
A: If an NPC no longer has anyone on its hatelist and leaves combat, it will unlock in a short time whether it is at its spawn point or not. Once it is no longer locked, it can then be locked by anyone even if the NPC hasn’t reached its spawn point.

Q: How will I know if an NPC is locked to me or someone else?
A: Once an NPC is locked, its name will show as green if you’re able to attack it or grey if you aren’t. These colors will be player-editable if the default colors aren’t desired.

Q: Will the Encounter Locking apply to all NPCs, or will there be exceptions?
A: There will be exceptions and some NPCs will be excluded from the Encounter Locking feature due to them requiring cooperation amongst different people or being part of events that wouldn’t be completable if the NPCs were locked to separate people.

Q: Will the Encounter Locking be on the Test Server before it goes to live?
A: Yes, we are planning on enabling Encounter Locking on the Test Server in the May Test Server update. The feature will be turned off on the Test Server once Oakwynd launches.

Again, we appreciate your passion, patience, and feedback. There will be more to share in the coming days and weeks so stay tuned.

- The EverQuest Team

No Drop Items that are not Free Trade No Drop took me a bit to understand. Basically, no drop items except epic stuff and keys will be heirloom.

Who wants to key 10 times?

I Just got back in the game and was excited about this but those rules are bananas and I'm not convinced there will be much of a population in a year. I guess I'll just keep filling out my account on live and perhaps flirt with playing on mischief or fv. Ugh.

I Just got back in the game and was excited about this but those rules are bananas and I'm not convinced there will be much of a population in a year. I guess I'll just keep filling out my account on live and perhaps flirt with playing on mischief or fv. Ugh.
You can turn off the mechanic from what I understand. Actually heading over to test now to see what is what.

Been gone for a few years and thinking on coming back for the new TLP. I am not trying to bypass their truebox limit 1 per PC but looking more for a version for maps, moving around, targeting etc. Have 6 PCs ready for the release
and before I go buy 5 Razor tartarus figured I would ask here. Mainly looking for follow, stick , map, targeting etc. any suggestions ?

One thing I did when I had 6 pcs for a true box TLP was I got usb num pads and did keybinds I was sending commands so fast from different pcs that I tripped the true box code and got disconnected LOL

dpg said:
New TLP Oakwynd - May 24, 2023, at 12:00 p.m. PDT

- This server starts with standard True Box. Only one EverQuest client may be run per computer

- When Omens of War unlocks (June 19, 2024), we will move to a Relaxed True Box. You may have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time.

- When The Buried Sea unlocks (April 23, 2025), True Box will be removed.
While MQ doesn't support truebox, once it goes to relaxed truebox, sometime after that MQ would be supported

News - April 2023 Producer's Letter including TLP "Oakwynd" May 2023

Users who are viewing this thread

Back