• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Another Returning Player with Level/Server Questions (1 Viewer)

Trigun

RedCents
120¢
First and foremost, thanks to this community for the amazing information available. EQ has always held a special place in my heart and i'm so happy it's still alive and well. I've recently re-installed EQ and have been poking around with my different toons (across 3 FTP accounts, 2 of which are silver). I quit EQ right before LDON (started back in phase 4 beta), came back for a few months in 2010-ish and havent been back until now. To get to my questions, i plan on boxing, since low(er) level grouping is few and far between -- i have a couple toons in the 50s and the rest in 20-30s on a Live server and 1 72 level SK on Test, with a handfull of /testbuff toons. Most of the comments/posts ive seen dont seem to mention when you start your groups -- are you doing this straight from Level 1 and progressing to the 100's or are you single leveling until a certain level and then grouping your team for progression? Also, for the FTP available servers, any preference between Live and Test? Since i'm getting back into things from such a long hiatus, i have no qualms with starting over from level 1, especially since my 22 Ranger w/Merc keeps getting her a*$ handed to her since i forgot how to play over all of these years. I think that's all i have for now and appreciate any insight you guys may have. I'm going to keep rewatching the various MQ videos, especially the 'getting started' series, as they were informational and narrated in a way that new/old players can digest. Oh yeah, i never thought i would have missed ".....what would you like your tombstone to say"

welcome back to EQ and welcome to redguides!

(don't be shy on the "Enter" / "Return" key on that keyboard) ;)

test gives you free "all access" but test patches more than twice as frequently as live servers, so much more downtime - also breaks more frequently. also minimal bazaar market

a lot of folks either start from scratch, or they go the heroic toon route (dbg sells a heroic toon that starts at lvl 85)

if you are all access, you could actually start on miragul and test copy a toon to test server who would then be 85, and then not renew your all-access and you could start with all 85s.

it really depends on your personal style if starting from 1 is more beneficial than 85+. this game has changed A LOT over the years

i'd hop in and have some fun :)

Welcome and well met. Suggestion from lowly me would be go spend a few days on the test server. Try different things like make a level 1 group (I would start off with 3 a warrior cleric, and bard). This will give you a feel for the Melee class, Hybrid classes and run around kill things or get killed both can be fun if you die with style. This will also give you a chance to see how RG can help you as well as getting you some knowledge of running a group. Once you feel like you have an idea of what is what then go to a live server and give it a try (start with the same 3 you made on test.

The most impotent things is: 1. HAVE FUN!!!!! 2. Ask questions and ask for help most everyone here with jump at the chance to help (and try to beat Sic before he answers). 3. Have Fun!!!

Zeb

Hi! And welcome back!

Remember to pick a merc tank if you dont do 6box, that will carry you to ~60. =)

And try the RGmercs, minimal setup outofthebox ready to rock!

Have fun!

Servers where you can play free or pay are different than test in the way that you cannot "copy" to jump levels. The only way to get to a high level fast is to buy a Heroic Upgrade which could be $35 in the marketplace or included free in an expansion offer. Other than that you will have to work thru the levels. TLP are a different animal than live servers too

Even though you have a high level character on test I would suggest you do a run thru in the tutorial in Gloomingdeep. Make a level 1 character (use him for the suggestion in the next paragraph) and go thru at least the main tasks. You will get a free merc, charm and some other good stuff that will hold you till almost level 20.

With your 22 ranger I would get started on another 1 or 2 characters to play with him. Put him on the back burner till they get close enough to group up. This way you will have 3 characters and 3 mercs to make your group. My Ranger runs with an enchanter and either a Beastlord, Shaman or Pally/SK.
I am not into casters that much and right now the Bst is favorite.

Hold off on buying any expansions for now since it will take a bit before you will be able to play in the last 2 or 3. And hold off on paying for a subscription until your a little higher so you can take advantage of the J5 merc or the Auto Grant

WB

There's a quest to pick up a ground spawn in Icefall Glacier and return it to Librarian Hemfar I believe is his name, in Crescent Reach. This will get you to level 12. Do this for several FTP accounts to get you rolling along. I know the run at level 1 is a pain but give a shout-out and see if anyone has a moment to help you out. If I see you hollering, I will most def lend a hand and summon toons for you to get the ground spawn. I would most definitely check out the Hatchery Macro here. That can give you a boost as well.

Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions gang, really appreciate it.

Based on what you are all saying, i can see (read) that the love of EQ is still there or hear it in your words -- makes me feel good for getting back into it.

I think I'm going to try a combination of what's been suggested, especially since it's very similar and give things a go. I'm more excited about EQ than i was back in '99 thanks in part to what I've been seeing on this community.

If anyone else has suggestions, feel free to add them. Boxing with MQ will be a new adventure for me (i've done the alt-tab single box trick) and i love hearing what others have to say.

T

Lvl 1-20 - If you have access to a healer toon that can give your group a Damage Shield, it'll greatly increase your speed of leveling. An autofollow and out of group druid works great for the usual things like regen buff, res, spot heals and their DS.

3 chars with 3 tank mercs works well to keep constant pulls going in Crescent Reach while the DS does the majority of the damage.

Welcome back and well met.

As suggested about , play around with Free to play toons and of course Red Guides with it. Experiment what group formations , classes and combinations you like best before you go GOLD mode and immerse yourself fully

Welcome back and redguides is your best source of any information needed for class plugins and kissassist and other unique and gifted ideas and a lot of helpful people. I would recommend that if you didn't want or have the funds to pay to play instead of staying on live servers can walkway come to test where things are free and you have gold access without subscribing

**Update** -- i jumped into the fray last night with 3 toons on a live server. Cleric, Berserker and SK -- it was an amazing experience.

Due to all the stuff that comes preloaded in Very Vanilla and the tips in the videos i was up and running within minutes, it seems like, and grouped and killing.

i spent about an hour testing how Mimic me works out and the nuances for completing quests on all the toons.

Overall, i can't wait to start my next group of 3 and get these 2 teams met up and running. I'm not sure if i'm going to go the route of letting my tank pull for me or if i'll do it myself, but my early years of EQ came flooding back in the best possible way.

Again, thanks so much to all of you here and the RG staff. You've helped me regain the MMO feelings i've been missing with todays games.

**Update** -- i jumped into the fray last night with 3 toons on a live server. Cleric, Berserker and SK -- it was an amazing experience.

Due to all the stuff that comes preloaded in Very Vanilla and the tips in the videos i was up and running within minutes, it seems like, and grouped and killing.

i spent about an hour testing how Mimic me works out and the nuances for completing quests on all the toons.

Overall, i can't wait to start my next group of 3 and get these 2 teams met up and running. I'm not sure if i'm going to go the route of letting my tank pull for me or if i'll do it myself, but my early years of EQ came flooding back in the best possible way.

Again, thanks so much to all of you here and the RG staff. You've helped me regain the MMO feelings i've been missing with todays games.
Not that you're asking, but unless you plan on splitting mobs / pulls with your SK, you'd save yourself a lot of time and headache with a bard or chanter to control mob crowds. Having that ability expands on what you can do with your team. Apologies if this is thread necro, this looked like a recent conversation.

IRL - Another Returning Player with Level/Server Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back