• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

IRL - Another returnee (1 Viewer)

veloron2008

RedCents
178¢
Hi,

Another looong lost player coming back to check out the game. It's been a while - since 2001. Initially, I just wanted to wander Norrath for pure nostalgia purposes... and then I happened across this site. :)

I have 3 accounts tagged as silver but with all chars deleted except for a 60 rogue (my old main) and 60 enchanter (wife's main) that we raided with back in the day. I put together a 5 box team to play around on, with an emphasis on relaxed fun, not speed or efficiency: ogre warrior (silver), troll beast (silver), frog monk (silver), drakkin bard (free) and drakkin cleric (free). I also purchased a separate heroic druid to taxi and babysit this group while I learn the art of multibox'ing in EQ.

I got this group up to level 35 very quickly and it has been surprisingly fun! I used some template INI files for mule assist and I'm now getting to the point where I'm not happy with the quirks - especially on the bard. Time to read up on the technical details and write/customize my own INIs which I suspect will be as fun as playing the game itself, considering I write code IRL (hardware HDL). :)

Question for boxers... do you rotate which char you main on a given play session? I've been manually controlling the warrior up to this point with the others fully script controlled. I think I will start mixing it up though to keep things interesting.

Boy do I get overwhelmed when I start reading/looking ahead at future content and progression in this game! It all seems so complex. I guess I'm in no hurry to get there!

Anyhow, just popping in to say Hi to the community.

Welcome back! Yes it all seems very complex and i am still confused lol. I generally only have one main but I don't have my own group yet. Trying to work on that but I am still figuring out how to get them all set up. Its all a ton of fun tho whether I am confused or not :)

Hi,

Another looong lost player coming back to check out the game. It's been a while - since 2001. Initially, I just wanted to wander Norrath for pure nostalgia purposes... and then I happened across this site. :)

I have 3 accounts tagged as silver but with all chars deleted except for a 60 rogue (my old main) and 60 enchanter (wife's main) that we raided with back in the day. I put together a 5 box team to play around on, with an emphasis on relaxed fun, not speed or efficiency: ogre warrior (silver), troll beast (silver), frog monk (silver), drakkin bard (free) and drakkin cleric (free). I also purchased a separate heroic druid to taxi and babysit this group while I learn the art of multibox'ing in EQ.

I got this group up to level 35 very quickly and it has been surprisingly fun! I used some template INI files for mule assist and I'm now getting to the point where I'm not happy with the quirks - especially on the bard. Time to read up on the technical details and write/customize my own INIs which I suspect will be as fun as playing the game itself, considering I write code IRL (hardware HDL). :)

Question for boxers... do you rotate which char you main on a given play session? I've been manually controlling the warrior up to this point with the others fully script controlled. I think I will start mixing it up though to keep things interesting.

Boy do I get overwhelmed when I start reading/looking ahead at future content and progression in this game! It all seems so complex. I guess I'm in no hurry to get there!

Welcome back Veloron and welcome to RedGuide's!

One of the best things about eq is the longevity and replayability it offers. I hope we get to have this for many more years to come.

re: which char do you main --- definitely comes down to personal preference, but many folks end up "driving" with their tank, just because it is a bit easier to be the "team leader / maestro" from that position.

The game changes quite a bit as you get into the "current era" - but don't be in too much hurry - if you're having fun then you're doing it right!

Rizlona is the newest non-truebox TLP and if you're looking to get caught up to other players a little quicker, and experience the TLP progressive environment, you should definitely check out Rizlona. Live servers are often going to be mostly a ghost town until you get into that 110/115 territory

re: the overwhelmed part - you're not kidding! not only does EQ have SOMUCH, but toss mq2 on top of that... its a lot to try and take in over a short period of time.

buuuut - it sounds like you're doing great, so keep it up!

I've tried a team where I ran it from an enchanter, a druid, and even a mage. But nothing works better imho than using your "tank" to drive the group. I don't think that detracts from the fun involved in making your ancillary characters be the best they can be. Part of the reason you'll settle on one "prime" character is that you will create hot buttons and socials to optimize your play and you'll get tired of making those buttons across so many characters.

As an example, my main is technically the druid. But I have been driving with the warrior tank and he gets first pick on gear as what we can do is driven by what he can tank.

I've tried a team where I ran it from an enchanter, a druid, and even a mage. But nothing works better imho than using your "tank" to drive the group. I don't think that detracts from the fun involved in making your ancillary characters be the best they can be. Part of the reason you'll settle on one "prime" character is that you will create hot buttons and socials to optimize your play and you'll get tired of making those buttons across so many characters.

Hmmm...that could work. If you watch Sic’s videos he gives some pretty good pointers on how to set up the necessary buttons. I prefer a magician as the nexus for the team. Its a lot easier to run to your designated spot, group coh and activate the troops and redirect earth pet as an offtank if/when needed until the autopuller and enchanter have broken up the camp some.

Hi,

Welcome back! that's a long break, 19 years! You coulda raised a kid and sent them to college in that time! This game has changed soo much since then.. but you're totally right, at least for me, its as much fun playing with MQ and getting a team to work in sync together to do the various things as it is "ever" questing.

I usually main the tank, as it is the easiest to manually control them, and let the rest assist you.. but that being said, you could just as easily control the puller or a healer, whatever your preference.. you just would build the bank of hotkey buttons to control the other toons from the one you choose to main.. saves you alt-tabbing alot.. I manually boxed 4 toons doing alt-tab method until about 2015, when I finally was shown MQ.. and I NEVER LOOKED BACK :)

Tons of great info on the site.. and when in doubt, just ask, lots of good people who have the answers!

Cheers
LorDeth

I like to play my Monk as my main. Advanced pulling/splitting is something we haven't mastered in an automated way yet, and of course, it's also the oldest main :).

Welcome back! that's a long break, 19 years! You coulda raised a kid and sent them to college in that time!

Haha, that's exactly what happened! Our son was born in the year following our retirement from EQ, and he is going off to college next year! (assuming this darned pandemic ends)

Of course, we played other MMOs in subsequent years.. but nothing ever came close to the depth of the original EQ experience. Both the good and bad. :) As an aside, I was blown away to see that our old raiding guild is still active on Xegony!

Thanks for the comments. It's cool to see that peoples' passion for this one-of-a-kind game has stood the test of time. I actually don't mind paying for a gold account or two, and buying heroic characters and/or Kronos, in order to help DB's bottom line and keep the game going.

I'm sure I'll have technical questions once I dive into INI customization and script mechanics. I'm also planning a second grouping of toons to play that would be more efficient: SK (gold), shammy (gold), bard (silver), 3x zerker (free). Or, maybe I'll keep them all synced on being subbed or not, in order to gain AA at the same time. I need to do some planning.

In terms of gameplay, I'll probably try to rotate the char I am manually controlling, script permitting, in order to gain some mastery over all the characters I'm leveling up, as well as for variety.

Thanks again!

-V

Last edited:
Welcome Velo.
I ended up driving the tank. my "main" that i keep subscribed and got the expansion for is whatever the guild needs. that's a shaman right now.
i strongly suggest once you figure out mq2 that you occasionally set your tank to autopilot and manually play your other toons just to learn the classes. the .ini library is great but, once you learn the class you can start to customize their .ini's for your specific needs / wants.

ask questions. join the discord; there is almost always somebody chatting on there and everybody is super friendly.
have fun!

I run multiple mix's of groups.

most of the time Im piloting from my bard, i pull with it buff with it dps with it and controll what everyone else is doign with it.

biggest suggestion I can make is look into CWTN class plugins. they will supremely simplify things for you.
next is watch ALL the videos here, start with Sics and move on to the vids for each plugin
make notes of what you want to do, and what you want to learn.

Welcome back to EQ.

Since you've been gone for so long you've missed a whole slew of amazing content. I'd recommend starting on TLP so you can run all of the stuff you've missed so you can get the full experience. Jumping on to normal servers after being gone an extended period of time just didn't feel like to me because I missed so much content.

IRL - Another returnee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back