• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Another group makeup thread (1 Viewer)

RedCents
270¢
I don't like the everquest forums on their page. Folks here seem to be friendly.

I"ve been playing off and on since 1999. I'm enjoying using the tools here to play again, since grouping is tough since most groups seem to be using these tools to play easier as well.

That being said...two questions. I pretty much have every class except necro, and i dont mind redoing some.

If i had 3 accounts to work with, and the same question with 4 accounts (which i do have 4 accounts), to optimize my playing..how would divide up the classes across 3 accounts, then 4 accounts??

I dont think i'll be making necro..what can i use in its place?

What else would i put on the account with pallie? SK and warrior? what about the bard?

I was hoping to organize all 15 classes.

Everyone has personal likes so do a basic group with which you like to play. I prefer just 3 accounts, instead of 4 and you can certainly play around with which combos work better for you.

For example my wiz, mage, pally, sk, shaman, Berzerker and rogue all just sit around collection dust after trying them out and not really happy with them after a few months. Got them to 120 or right under it and just didn't like them.

My 2 mains are Ranger and Enchanter with All Access tank and healer merc and the third position or my "wheel" is currently a Beastlord. So that is 3 accounts.

This seems to be ok for now. But am sure I will try out a necro soon. I don't think I like tank classes like warrior etc

I agree with the atmosphere on the "other" forums.

I dont think i'll be making necro..what can i use in its place?

What else would i put on the account with pallie? SK and warrior? what about the bard?

I was hoping to organize all 15 classes.
Which ones you put on which accounts depends on how you plan to mix and match. One way would be to have all your tanks on one account, your CC (bard, ench) on another, and DPS/utility on the third with the 4th being a float of whatever else you might want.
Three-boxing is still about the "holy trinity" of tank, heals, crowd control. We all have our preferences for what class fits into their role the best, so just pick what you like. If you've got content you want to try with a different tank - PAL in undead zones, for example - then swapping isn't the end of the world.
Another thing to keep in mind is that ENCH are generally regarded as the better CC to be paired with casters, whereas BRD is preferred for melee dps groups.
Ultimately, as long as you have those three utilities covered - PCs are better, but you can make it work with mercs a lot of the time - the rest is gravy.

i think you should determine which classes u enjoy playing the most. which ones suit your playstyle and create fun for you when you log in. Start there.

Which tank class works best with your playstyle and provides the best level of enjoyment and anticipation of playing. Your tank is almost always going to be your group driver. This will help you determine what other classes you want.

2nd thing to consider is your healer. these 2 set = win. Do you enjoy druids... are clerics your schtik. That shaman u played back in the day, did it float your boat. pick this class based on more than just heals, what other utilities can they offer. This site is full of information and thoughts on the healer class. dig through it and think what works best with how you enjoy the game.

next thing to consider is the buff/debuff/cc factor. what would you like, what content will you be doing, what is needed versus what would be enjoyed. tons to offer here and there is also utility offered by other classes (specifically DPS types). U want cc and slow and debuff and ridonkulous dps boost.. Bards can do all of that. not the best at some of it but absolutely viable in group content for all of it. You want debuffs and buffs and slows... beasts can also do these and add a stupid amount of dps and other types of utility. Don't forget that pet is basically a second tank with nice dps abd some " oh shit " factors added in. All of the dps classes add something besides dps. Some of them add things like ports and evacs, some add debuffs and buffs and cc. some add some sweet aura type effects. try them all out. even rangers can be nice. think of those cooldowns they have for your group... wow! You just cant wrong. its all about creating a group with synergy while keeping in mind your playstyle.

Dps is your 4th consideration, ( accepting the fact you already have slows and debuffs factored into your healer or factored into slot 3 dps spot ( bst/bard/other ) . This 4th spot you want to add in might not seem to be super important but this is the slot that will create the most enjoyment. It will be the guy that adds the frosting to the cake. There are all kinds of ways to go here. rogues, zerkers, monks etc. they all have the /autoskill that you can add in to make it easier. plus they have auras which can help. Some of them have the massive dmg spam factor. ya. i like that, i actually flip to my rogue sometimes and just watch a panel i isolated for his melee hits and crits and flurries lol. U had a rough day, watching this is like watching korean drama. its just relaxing ( it isn't the only dps class with this effect, is just the one i enjoy personally ) Possibly you prefer spells or ranged. whi knows, only you can find that out for yourself.

Thankfully EQ doesn't have a specific cookie cutter group like some games. u can mix and match till your hearts content. everything is viable in some way; some ways are just more fun. Don't be afraid to test configurations out and look in different directions. RG makes doing this so much more fun than the usual grind grind grind.. finally im high enough to see how this looks.... omg it sucks.. with RG, u can try out groups even at lower levels and see how they interact together with professinal level tools available and input from thoughtful, intuitive people.

Anyway. Not gonna push you in any direction. playing and figuring this out is where so much of the enjoyment comes from. If there's no valley, there's no peak. Test and fail and be unhappy from time to time. When things click.... ya baby, yah.

Very Best of luck to you on finding your fun

I don't like the everquest forums on their page. Folks here seem to be friendly.

I"ve been playing off and on since 1999. I'm enjoying using the tools here to play again, since grouping is tough since most groups seem to be using these tools to play easier as well.

That being said...two questions. I pretty much have every class except necro, and i dont mind redoing some.

If i had 3 accounts to work with, and the same question with 4 accounts (which i do have 4 accounts), to optimize my playing..how would divide up the classes across 3 accounts, then 4 accounts??
Pal Shm Brd/Ench(IF you're just starting to learn PAL tanking, the Ench definitely is easier to help navigate the playstyle until your comfortable with a "maybe" mez from the bard) > BL (Merc Melee x2)
SK Shm Brd > BL (Merc Melee x2)

Just my two red:rcents.

[HINT: 🐻 You too can help prevent forum fires by also "red:rcenting" (click the :rc icon to the right ---->)

Account #1 -- All tanks = Pally, War, SK, Mage

Account #2 -- All CC or Utility = Bard, Enchanter, Shaman, Cleric

Account #3 -- All DPS = Mage, Zerker, Rogue, Monk, Bard, Beast, Wizard

Account #4 -- Ports/Misc. = Druid, Wizard, Mage, Beast, Cleric

Pretty obvious you could make a variety of groups depending on your playstyle, needs, wants, enjoyment, situation, etc., etc.

Why limit to 4 accounts? Get another 2 Free to play accounts and have some dps on those accounts.
Toss them a Krono or 2 when you are lvl 120 and Boom full grp rockin.

My suggestion would be similar of @B_I_G__D_A_D_D_Y but I would split priest an cc
1 Tanks
2 Priests
3 cc and utilities like porter
4 dps

If you have Tank, Priest, cc as real pc you are set to do all content
With 4 accounts any porter can bring you close to your intended fightspot and a campfire can bring in the cc

If content allows to go dps-inclined Tank, shm, brd would allow to kill more mobs pet timeframe
If content is too dense, Tank, clr, enc may allow to progress as enc is not only the better cc but can throw stuns and/or runes to help the tank to survive
A real petclass on the 4rth account could set pet on taunt to allow the tank to aggro ping-pong in order to split the damage between pet and tank,
or else can offtank where mobs can't be cc'ed like giants in Kael-Drakkal

In addition to cc and porter a BST would be nice to have in group 3 for content where cc is not needed. His pet could offtank if necessary when once a while needed and the BST can bring nice dps, shm-like buffs and slow, for situations where you prefer the cleric over the shm.

Why limit to 4 accounts? Get another 2 Free to play accounts and have some dps on those accounts.
Toss them a Krono or 2 when you are lvl 120 and Boom full grp rockin.
Very much this, Szazor's point. The accounts are FREE if you never want to pay..its ok. If you ever do get a Krono for one month to AA them and such.. great. If not, no loss. The FTP bots will do more damage and better skills than the mercenaries you hire.
that said, if you don;t want 6 EQ windows up and prefer the simpler 3 or 4 boxes an fill the group with mercs..its actually ok too...what makes YOU happy is all that matters. I like the idea of having Tank account, Mez account, Healer account, DPS account. You always have the Trinity that way and can sorta mix and match as you choose, and play around with various classes.

Play what you want but make sure you have what you need :) worst case isn't that bad tho... Just replace as required. (My current experience below.)

I had long wanted to try 3 mages, so I PLd a few to form Pal, Cler, Enc, Mag x3 (lvls 78-85). I'm slow rolling this one (starting in SoD) but I did not factor in that the toons would also slow rolling--literally. I had become used to having a bard or shaman in my group, so I am having a hard time dealing with this. I am now thinking about ditching a mage for a BL.

Question - Another group makeup thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back