• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Another group composition question (1 Viewer)

RedCents
55¢
Hi all,
I have been reading the forums for a while now and decided to post a question. I have a 6 box that I use cwtn plugins on (which are absolutely amazing). Set in stone is War, Clr, Brd, Shm. It seems like for the last 2, should probably go with melee. I was thinking something like ranger, beastlord, or would it be better to go with rogue, ranger or zerker ranger? I was wondering if someone more experienced at the 115-125 range could weigh in. The war, clr, brd, shm are all around 110 and the new guys would be 100 heroics.
Thanks for all your assistance and thanks for the great plugins/macros!

I like having a ranger in my groups. If you’re set on keeping 2 healers (you could easily drop clr and add rng/rog/bst) then I could suggest ranger/rogue for your other two. But bst would also be a great addition.

Ranger and rogue do really well in group content currently with the prevalence of humanoid mobs (headshot/assassinate) and both offer more utility than a monk or berserker. Personally, I'd add ranger/rogue, beastlord/mage, beastlord rogue, or beastlord/ranger. The mage and beastlord offer you the ability to offtank, although with 2 priests your warrior shouldn't have issues tanking multiples.

I have been working on the same 4 (war/Clr/Brd/Shm) but I went with a mage and rogue. Granted mine are all in their 60s but the way I understand it, is a mix is better than all of one way or the other due to melee or spell immune (unless that's only really for raid mobs?). I'll be curious what the recommendations are for myself as well!

I do have a mage on another account that does awesome damage with bard and shaman buffs hitting the pets/swarms I was wondering if that would also be better than a melee or go with some hybrid type thing, like war, clr, brd, shm, rng, mag. I can never quite decide which to play.
But yeah Psy, with the 4 main guys dps is pretty lacking and rogue berserker do some serious damage. See, I just can't seem to decide and stick with something.

I do have a mage on another account that does awesome damage with bard and shaman buffs hitting the pets/swarms I was wondering if that would also be better than a melee or go with some hybrid type thing, like war, clr, brd, shm, rng, mag. I can never quite decide which to play.
But yeah Psy, with the 4 main guys dps is pretty lacking and rogue berserker do some serious damage. See, I just can't seem to decide and stick with something.
I don't use clerics in my groups anymore. I use shaman as the main healers and have zero issues doing so.

I have two different group compositions, one melee and one caster. You'll be able to be just as effective with either, so play what you want.

I'll tell you, having melee toons auto-running and whacking mobs is SIGNIFICANTLY more noticeable to the naysayers than a group of casters sitting on horses waving their arms around.

Part of playing EQ with MQ is playing the part of the fugitive. Build what you like, but I'd encourage you to find ways to make your group look less automated to help you stay under the radar.

I'm a little partial as Ranger was the first toon I ever made (don't ask why) and we will not mention I tried to play it like a tank for 20 levels but I love the range and the dps it can dish out

I'd probably put in a bst and a mag, but I prefer utility to my crews since the DPS bar isn't all that high these days for success...unless you're raiding the group. It's also really nice having the dispel auto-firing for when you're up against pesky damage shields and under-geared. I know you said the 4 are set, and I feel ya, but for me if I wanted extra heal coverage, and a bit more dps, I'd replace the cleric with a paladin and still have all the bases covered, plus a good bit more, but still poor, DPS in that slot.

I don't use clerics in my groups anymore. I use shaman as the main healers and have zero issues doing so.
This.

I have 0 issues tanking as many as 3-4 in current content with SK or War with just shaman heals.

Bst makes a great addition to any group. And as someone stated previously - a lot of humanoids around for a rogue to assasinate

Question - Another group composition question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back