• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Discussion - AMD Ryzen 9 7900x (1 Viewer)

RedCents
7,735¢
I just revamped my main PC on my workstation as I need something to assist in my upcoming projects. I chose to go the AMD route with the Ryzen 9 7900x 12-core on the Asus Rog Strix X670E-E motherboard. Also running Corsair 64GB @ 5200mhz with Dual Nvidia RTX 3060 cards make for a good time as well as provide me with the power for everything. At least for awhile.

I have got to say, fairly impressed with this setup so far. This CPU runs very very hot though. But from my reading on the subject of this processor, it is supposed to by design.

Just sharing my new setup. Who also runs similar a similar configuration? What do you use it for, and how do you like it?

PS: Really interested in hearing thoughts on AIO cooling. I usually just go with a very efficient air set up myself because I don't like the maintenance of open loop water cooling (from what I remember from doing it before myself), and I have read that most AIO closed loop coolers are comparable to a good sinked air cooler anyway (I am currently using a Noctua NH-D15) if the case is set up properly for flow anyway. Except of course with the 360mm radiators being the exception.

Last edited:
The AMD 7900 series is designed to run right on the red line so AMD chips score well in the benchmarks. If you are not running a load that pegs the CPU at 100% you could consider under clocking/under volt the CPU. I've never tried it but I've seen tech stories where they can get 90-95% of the clock speed while dropping temperatures 10-20 deg.

I personally had a bad experience with some AIO coolers at work. We purchased 12 high end machines and ended up having 5 of the 12 leak. 3 of them catastrophic. While the machines were in an office environment they did get moved around several times a year.

On the other hand I have guild members who swear by their custom water block and overclocked systems.

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 9 5900x 12 core. It ran very very warm at 65c idle on the two air coolers I tried. I then went with a 360mm AIO, and now its at 46 idle and even at 12 core 24 thread stress test doesnt get above 62.

So yes, worth the effort for the high TDP multi core/thread CPU's.

Yes, be very careful overclocking AMD CPU's they pretty much are designed to run high end out of the box.

I run a Ryzen 9 5950x debating updating to the 7950x
at 1.44V and normal load temp hovers around 45-50 C using 360mm AIO
I am not a fan of overclocking mostly. I have had a few systems that I have done it on just to push numbers like every other custom builder. But I had my fun melting stuff and watching the smoke. Now I go for practical builds to achieve my goals rather than squeeze the hell out of my rigs. :shrug:

If you are still interested in awhile, I will be happy to give you updates on the rig if you want to PM me at some point in the future before you pull the trigger and upgrade to it.

Coincidentally, I updated from a Ryzen 9 3900x. Had similar temps to yours except I was using a Coolermaster Masterair MA620M. I think I would maybe run 5 degrees hotter sometimes. I do like the concept of AIO closed loop. I just don't like what seems like a hit or miss situation with them either with leaks or longevity. I also read that they are really not that much quieter than an air set up due to the pump fan making what some call annoying buzzing noises which is what I ALMOST did this time. :shrug: . For this build I nearly did choose a Corsair or Asus. Maybe next time, or maybe for my office rig at my office building? :dance:

Last edited:
@Doc James I'm basically looking at this exact same situation.. I'm intrigued with the reported performance of the new AMD AM5 line, but I really am not interested in running hot.. Still working on the data collection side, to decide what CPU, and with them still releasing more CPUs in this family, I'm interested to see how hot/cool the 7800X3D runs..

I currently have a custom loop with 2x 240mm rads, a gpu block, and a cpu block.. but from reading a bit , it sounds like while Corsair says my current block (XC7) supports AM5 socket, in reality, they dont work (or at least, ones purchased more than a year ago dont).. but in your case, sounds like if you did go the liquid cool route, it'd be all new purchase anyway..

I run a 7950x build with no overclocking. Haven't really taxed it heavily to see how hot it'll get, but for the most part it sits around 40-50c. I've got it on an Asus x670E-A Rog Strix motherboard, 64gb Corsair Vengeance ddr5, eVGA rtx3080 Black. Cooling is a NZXT Kraken z73 AIO. Case is a Lian Li mid tower with ten Lian Li LS-Infinity 120mm fans.

@Doc James I'm basically looking at this exact same situation.. I'm intrigued with the reported performance of the new AMD AM5 line, but I really am not interested in running hot.. Still working on the data collection side, to decide what CPU, and with them still releasing more CPUs in this family, I'm interested to see how hot/cool the 7800X3D runs..

I currently have a custom loop with 2x 240mm rads, a gpu block, and a cpu block.. but from reading a bit , it sounds like while Corsair says my current block (XC7) supports AM5 socket, in reality, they dont work (or at least, ones purchased more than a year ago dont).. but in your case, sounds like if you did go the liquid cool route, it'd be all new purchase anyway..

The issues with AM4 to AM5 coolers when transitioning is that the new AM5 motherboards all have a base plate that needs to stay with the board as it actually holds the new CPU retention brace on the top side. So for everything needing a custom base plate, it's a no go. I believe most cooler plates will work though from what I read. But not from practical experience on my end.

I run a 7950x build with no overclocking. Haven't really taxed it heavily to see how hot it'll get, but for the most part it sits around 40-50c. I've got it on an Asus x670E-A Rog Strix motherboard, 64gb Corsair Vengeance ddr5, eVGA rtx3080 Black. Cooling is a NZXT Kraken z73 AIO. Case is a Lian Li mid tower with ten Lian Li LS-Infinity 120mm fans.

The CPU doesn't get hot until you benchmark it. Run any benchmarking software and watch the temp. It will immediately peg to 95C regardless of cooling solution. I have seen some data to suggest that some people have done direct die cooling and achieved somewhere around 85-90C. AMD release statement said this is by design. Under normal use circumstances, it will be a non-issue. I am hopeful with this design model, it will be a lasting component. However, maybe it'll go the other way and totally crap itself in a year or two. Only time will tell. But I do have faith in AMD. As long as it's not abused. But then again, abuse any device passing it's design characteristics, and it doesn't matter.

This is why I always run Intel. I couldn't care less if I get a few extra cycles, fps if my PC heats up my entire room to over 85 degrees without AC. I do not like running AC 24/7 if I can help it. As far as AIO coolers, some are decent and can last a long time, but if you are serious about cooling, go full liquid. I currently run a dual loop system for CPU and GPU. Works pretty well. But it can be hot sometimes if I am playing pretty intense games.

im using a 7950x I ended up undervolting it though to keep the temps down. It still runs 120 eq clients while never going above 40% usage

If you use ryzen master you can undervolt it to like .985 and limit it to 3.8-4.2 and you will see a 20c difference in temps.

im using a 7950x I ended up undervolting it though to keep the temps down. It still runs 120 eq clients while never going above 40% usage

If you use ryzen master you can undervolt it to like .985 and limit it to 3.8-4.2 and you will see a 20c difference in temps.
yep thats my plan if/when i get one..

I'm currently running a 9th gen i9-9900k and it runs fairly hot just in general.. with the water cooling yeah its better.. but I'm not interested in overclocking or running them hard..

@dewey2461 yeah exactly, it seems to be the new engineering design - run them to their TJmax to push as much performance out of them before they throttle... its up to the customer base to say "no i dont want a space heater!!" lol

The AMD 7900 series is designed to run right on the red line so AMD chips score well in the benchmarks. If you are not running a load that pegs the CPU at 100% you could consider under clocking/under volt the CPU. I've never tried it but I've seen tech stories where they can get 90-95% of the clock speed while dropping temperatures 10-20 deg.

I personally had a bad experience with some AIO coolers at work. We purchased 12 high end machines and ended up having 5 of the 12 leak. 3 of them catastrophic. While the machines were in an office environment they did get moved around several times a year.

On the other hand I have guild members who swear by their custom water block and overclocked systems.
And that's why I'll never mess with liquid cooling

My machines too old to comment t on current equipment, bit I've always ran with AMD and I always go with the 120/125W versions. Never had an issue, and im still running one machine built 15+ yrs ago along with my 7yo, both high wattage CPUs, and running 24/7 with very few breaks in all those years. Also, stock coolers that came with the chips.

This is why I always run Intel. I couldn't care less if I get a few extra cycles, fps if my PC heats up my entire room to over 85 degrees without AC. I do not like running AC 24/7 if I can help it. As far as AIO coolers, some are decent and can last a long time, but if you are serious about cooling, go full liquid. I currently run a dual loop system for CPU and GPU. Works pretty well. But it can be hot sometimes if I am playing pretty intense games.

If you are idling at 85C, there is a cooling issue. My 7900x idles at around 41C and only goes to about 50C under normal usage when gaming, and performing other workloads (for now). It should never get close to what you are getting unless you are pegging all of the cores at once. And "being serious" about cooling statement is not accurate. I have many tests with all cooling options and can tell you, you really never need liquid unless you are overclocking, period. A good air setup with a good case and airflow, and it will be just fine without overclocking and operating as it should. I know some people have this perception of water cooling that no matter what it's the best. But I think it's more of a perception and personal preference thing more than anything. Or you are overclocking the hell out of your components. Then, yes I would support the claim that liquid is the way to go.

Why undervolt something that is designed to run within a certain specification? Some would argue longevity. But I have had builds that ran close to max temps, and lasted as long if not longer compared to builds that were cooled as much as possible. The real thing to consider here is, most custom builders are stuck in old building philosophies which says that cooler is better to name one of them. But at the end of the day, it's all personal preference!

If you are idling at 85C, there is a cooling issue. My 7900x idles at around 41C and only goes to about 50C under normal usage when gaming, and performing other workloads (for now). It should never get close to what you are getting unless you are pegging all of the cores at once. And "being serious" about cooling statement is not accurate. I have many tests with all cooling options and can tell you, you really never need liquid unless you are overclocking, period. A good air setup with a good case and airflow, and it will be just fine without overclocking and operating as it should. I know some people have this perception of water cooling that no matter what it's the best. But I think it's more of a perception and personal preference thing more than anything. Or you are overclocking the hell out of your components. Then, yes I would support the claim that liquid is the way to go.

Why undervolt something that is designed to run within a certain specification? Some would argue longevity. But I have had builds that ran close to max temps, and lasted as long if not longer compared to builds that were cooled as much as possible. The real thing to consider here is, most custom builders are stuck in old building philosophies which says that cooler is better to name one of them. But at the end of the day, it's all personal preference!
You 100% misunderstood what I was saying, or I was not very clear. I did not say my PC was idling at 85C. I said that when my PC, under heavy load from the games I play, can heat the room to 85F (30C) without any AC on over the course of a few hours, I do not want to run something hotter, like AMD in my system.

My PC idles at 32-35C, and under full load with games, hits around 48-50C. It was my fault for saying 85 for temp when I was speaking Farenheit. Most of us in the US where I live speak about outside/inside temps in F, but cpu/gpu in C.

You 100% misunderstood what I was saying, or I was not very clear. I did not say my PC was idling at 85C. I said that when my PC, under heavy load from the games I play, can heat the room to 85F (30C) without any AC on over the course of a few hours, I do not want to run something hotter, like AMD in my system.

My PC idles at 32-35C, and under full load with games, hits around 48-50C. It was my fault for saying 85 for temp when I was speaking Farenheit. Most of us in the US where I live speak about outside/inside temps in F, but cpu/gpu in C.
I understand now what you were saying. And I agree. No one likes to play in a hot room! :D

What is the base roomtemp if you don't have PCs running? I mean so e have thermostat set as low as 60 or 65 and others as high as 73, so that's a big difference in how much your room is heating up.

I keep the door always closed, and heat vents closed or half closed(not entirely sure as 120yo house and room was 2 combined, so 2 vents, 1 on each side) but running 2 120-125w amd CPU PCs and 3 others (entire systems on those have PSUs in the 240w range) my room only ranges 5degrees66-71) from min to max with the thermometer sitting a foot above my monitors which are about 2ft above my towers.

The rest of that level of the house sits at the top of my range or higher because of open doors and heat rising, which is always about 5degrees above the thermostat. That in itself is why(plus cats, noise, and people to a smaller degree) I keep our door closed at all times. Is this a small room? Is the door open or closed? Is it on the first or second story? Do you keep curtains etc shut to remove sun heat? Do you live where there are winters, or is it a warm climate? That amount of heating just seems extreme.

What is the base roomtemp if you don't have PCs running? I mean so e have thermostat set as low as 60 or 65 and others as high as 73, so that's a big difference in how much your room is heating up.

I keep the door always closed, and heat vents closed or half closed(not entirely sure as 120yo house and room was 2 combined, so 2 vents, 1 on each side) but running 2 120-125w amd CPU PCs and 3 others (entire systems on those have PSUs in the 240w range) my room only ranges 5degrees66-71) from min to max with the thermometer sitting a foot above my monitors which are about 2ft above my towers.

The rest of that level of the house sits at the top of my range or higher because of open doors and heat rising, which is always about 5degrees above the thermostat. That in itself is why(plus cats, noise, and people to a smaller degree) I keep our door closed at all times. Is this a small room? Is the door open or closed? Is it on the first or second story? Do you keep curtains etc shut to remove sun heat? Do you live where there are winters, or is it a warm climate? That amount of heating just seems extreme.
So, multigenerational household - 3 families with elderly. Large house, but 7 people. Because of the elderly, the house typically has to stay between 71-74, but I am upstairs and as you stated - the heat rises. 4 animals, 2 of the with medical issues, and one is a cat that literally pees everywhere but the litter box. Doors have to remain closed. It is a smaller room (not terribly small), with blackout curtains, but does get the afternoon sun. It will be less hot in the summer as I will be able to run AC full time because of heat/humidity here. Just winter sucks as the elderly get too cold if I run AC always.

If they weren't here - 65-68 24/7.

One thing I see from this conversation that could use more scrutiny is the choice of case. My pc is a little older and am running everything in a Corsair 5000D airflow and a Scythe Fuma 2 CPU cooler. Wire management is also important. My case is large but I can't hear it, ever. I leave the rgb crap on, not because it looks cool, but so I can see when I leave it on. I believe airflow trumps cooler type. Lots of cool looking cases that are hot garbage when it comes to thermals as a result of poor airflow.

I grew up in a 120yo farm house and remember the thermostat in the 60s for winter. Now where I live is in the 80s pretty much year round and we have the thermostat set at 75 year round. That's freedom units (°F) for all those with communist temperatures (°C).

One thing I see from this conversation that could use more scrutiny is the choice of case. My pc is a little older and am running everything in a Corsair 5000D airflow and a Scythe Fuma 2 CPU cooler. Wire management is also important. My case is large but I can't hear it, ever. I leave the rgb crap on, not because it looks cool, but so I can see when I leave it on. I believe airflow trumps cooler type. Lots of cool looking cases that are hot garbage when it comes to thermals as a result of poor airflow.
Thermals matter if internal temps are high. If you are playing a game in 1440p at 250+ fps and your CPU sits at 45C, and GPU at 50C...thermals do not matter. If your room is 85F then your case is doing its job.

So, multigenerational household - 3 families with elderly. Large house, but 7 people. Because of the elderly, the house typically has to stay between 71-74, but I am upstairs and as you stated - the heat rises. 4 animals, 2 of the with medical issues, and one is a cat that literally pees everywhere but the litter box. Doors have to remain closed. It is a smaller room (not terribly small), with blackout curtains, but does get the afternoon sun. It will be less hot in the summer as I will be able to run AC full time because of heat/humidity here. Just winter sucks as the elderly get too cold if I run AC always.

If they weren't here - 65-68 24/7.
Sounds almost exactly like my household lol, and environment, but I have a very large...yet very full..room lol

Eh, I have a 13900K with 64GB of DDR5 6000 and a 4090. That chip is a furnace if I'm encoding. If I'm gaming it never breaks 50c but I don't overclock. All the latest CPUs are near impossible to run at full load without hitting TJ Max unless you delid or get some crazy custom loop.

Discussion - AMD Ryzen 9 7900x

Users who are viewing this thread

Back