• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Alternate Persona, am I missing something? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
6,388¢
I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I tested out the alternate persona feature and all it did was create a new level one character of a different class. Just sends you to the normal character select screen and you just roll a new toon and log back into the newbie zone.

What am I missing here? How is this any advantage over just buying another character slot and just making another toon? Is there something more to this thing that I dont understand correctly? :shrug:

Solution
Share Inventory, Crafting, Flags, etc
I could somewhat see some benefit to these but overall this will limit your inventory since you need to now store gear for each persona in your bag.
I cannot see much of a benefit with their current implementation over creating another toon on the same account.
Share Inventory, Crafting, Flags, etc
I could somewhat see some benefit to these but overall this will limit your inventory since you need to now store gear for each persona in your bag.
I cannot see much of a benefit with their current implementation over creating another toon on the same account.

Solution
Managing inventory gets to be a real nightmare with persona's. I was onboard over alts till I started making some persona's. Maybe a template to store persona's gear would be something down the line DB might do.

I'm not worried about the gear storage. You'll want to use as much all/all gear as possible. Leveling up, defiant gear is universal among armor class, so you only ever need 4 sets. Most visibles are all/all so you just need 1 set at a given level range. In the case where your personas are the same level as your main, you should only need to manage 1 set of non-vis items. Visibles and weapons would be the only slots that change.

I'm not worried about the gear storage. You'll want to use as much all/all gear as possible. Leveling up, defiant gear is universal among armor class, so you only ever need 4 sets. Most visibles are all/all so you just need 1 set at a given level range. In the case where your personas are the same level as your main, you should only need to manage 1 set of non-vis items. Visibles and weapons would be the only slots that change.
cloak, neck, ear?

I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. I tested out the alternate persona feature and all it did was create a new level one character of a different class. Just sends you to the normal character select screen and you just roll a new toon and log back into the newbie zone.

What am I missing here? How is this any advantage over just buying another character slot and just making another toon? Is there something more to this thing that I dont understand correctly? :shrug:
it's a money grab worthless feature for anyone that knows you don't make alts...you roll a new acct for every char...

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

How do people not see the benefit of this? Have you guys not done insane grinds on your main for things like Artisans Prize, 350 tradeskills, heroic AAs? Countless illusions, mounts, familiars? Slayer achievements? Do you really want to open up 5000 more boxes on an alt to get the slayer achievements again?

Sometimes I feel like I play a completely different game than others.

How do people not see the benefit of this? Have you guys not done insane grinds on your main for things like Artisans Prize, 350 tradeskills, heroic AAs? Countless illusions, mounts, familiars? Slayer achievements? Do you really want to open up 5000 more boxes on an alt to get the slayer achievements again?

Maybe, since I have no idea what you mean when you say, "
Do you really want to open up 5000 more boxes on an alt to get the slayer achievements again?

Everyone plays a different game. Different things are important to different people.

Personally, trying to manage inventories of multiple classes is something I want nothing to do with. It sounds utterly horrific to try and juggle and manage.
I also LIKE that I can jump to an alt with a different name and people not all see/know me.

And none of this is addressing the fact that it appears to be a pretty rocky start, buggy and inconsistent.

@pepsipepsi you're drying humping one char...we make armies bro...only a handful of toons will get that much love and attention....everyone else is cattle for the raid grind.

200.gif
@pepsipepsi with his chars...

revenge of the sith episode 3 GIF by Star Wars
This is how we roll...
Star Wars Army GIF by Voodoo Ranger

Was picking one of the more obnoxious slayer achievements, called Tableflipper.
To be fair, they haven't figured out a way to get the banestrike stuff to work on Personas yet..

I'm also in the camp of really liking the feature. I've had some fun with my really low level personas using my high level Mount/Illusion/Familiar clickies.

Click your Jann's Veil and become the terror of any pre-elemental PoP zone at level 1.

To be fair, they haven't figured out a way to get the banestrike stuff to work on Personas yet..

I'm also in the camp of really liking the feature. I've had some fun with my really low level personas using my high level Mount/Illusion/Familiar clickies.

Click your Jann's Veil and become the terror of any pre-elemental PoP zone at level 1.
Or just buy a fungus covered scale tunic...some twink gear and have the feeling free of charge through level 60...

i can see this benefit f2p account more than a normal account. Also, if flags are shared, then it really saves you a lot of time regrinding for the same flags. not sure how relevant flags are anymore though... back in the day, you need flags to do anything.

As a multiboxer playing on TLP the ONLY benefit I see to having personas is possibly my main tank. I could do warrior main for raid gear, then switch to SK for 6 box group content, and don't have to redo keying/flags to every raid on two different characters. On the other hand if its a free trade server like Mischief - could just hand the gear over to the other account. On Oakwynd - if the SK and Warrior are on the same account just put it in the shared bank because its heirloom - granted can't share flagging as easy.

Personas used to be able to swap anywhere which was really nice. Other than sharing raid flags/keys I don't really see much convenience over creating a new account/leveling an additional alt unless you've hit budget limits.

I think if DB would let the equiped gear stay with the persona it could solve most of the problems. You would still use up bag space with your class specific clickies but it would be better than 8 slots of gear per persona.

Buy default with LS every toon can have 3 Alt Persona slots. If you use one, it does not take away one for use on any other toon on the same account. I would assume if you used a tradable or bought from the store, you're increasing the number of slots available for every character.
There is no "Burning" an alt slow by creating a alternate persona, then deleting it.

I actually thought from Beta, you couldn't delete a persona. Once one had been created.

I haven't seen this discussed - but do we know/has anyone tested:
* Use an Alt Slot
* Delete the character
-- Is the Alt slot returned?

* Use an Alt Slot
* Heroic the character
* Delete the character
-- Is the Heroic Token returned?

Well since the alt slot is for all characters there really is no alt slot to return. Deleting a character also deletes all alternate personas on that character.

On the heroic character I have no idea. Seems expen$ive to test out. Probably could petition and get the HC back available as a worst-case scenario.

Well since the alt slot is for all characters there really is no alt slot to return. Deleting a character also deletes all alternate personas on that character.
Only asking because that's how the few Heroic I've used have worked. Make an 85 mage. Do something. Delete it. Make an 85 something else. Do something, etc...

And for the Alt Persona slots - what I'm asking is:
* Have a level 120 char.
* Make 3 alt persona. New level 1 Wiz, Mage, Monk.

Now want to change the Monk to a Zerk. If I delete the Monk alt persona, that will work?

EDIT: Since I don't have a dozen alts, this has helped me greatly writing and testing scripts.

I have not used the persona feature at all. So when you start a new persona is it wearing the same gear you were wearing when you create it or does it have its own independance Armor slots?

IMHO this feature would have been amazing in 1999. At it stands it's rather redundant. FFXIV got it right. EQ did not. I am not even really sure why they bothered. Either someone in the shot calling chair doesn't understand how we work or was driven by ego to get it done.

Only asking because that's how the few Heroic I've used have worked. Make an 85 mage. Do something. Delete it. Make an 85 something else. Do something, etc...

And for the Alt Persona slots - what I'm asking is:
* Have a level 120 char.
* Make 3 alt persona. New level 1 Wiz, Mage, Monk.

Now want to change the Monk to a Zerk. If I delete the Monk alt persona, that will work?

EDIT: Since I don't have a dozen alts, this has helped me greatly writing and testing scripts.

Ah so there is no way to delete one. To make a Zerker you would have to buy another AP slot.

I have not used the persona feature at all. So when you start a new persona is it wearing the same gear you were wearing when you create it or does it have its own independance Armor slots?

It has all the same gear. You can save gear sets per persona and it will equip them all and dump the rest into your bags but from what I have played with on test it is clunky.

I just created a level 1 Wizard on a level 124 Mage account.

After standard character select screen (except name is locked), I ended up with a level 1 Wizard wearing EXACTLY the same gear as the 124 mage. Same bags, inventory and everything.
Of course the gear was all Yellow-You-Cant-Use, but...

I didn't see "Guild Summons" and all that standard stuff.

Just realized all the "New Character" items were in /itemoverflow. Interesting.

And also, not to nit-pick every little thing but the character selection screen shows the last class you were before camping out.
If you want a different, have to log in as that char, then do a swap.
The swapped character appears right where the other was. I'm sure somebody will tell me this is a good thing.

But imagine your level 125 is camping in LS.
Your level 50 cleric is in Skyfire camping for Epic 1.0. EVERY time you swap you have to run the character back where they were.
...someone tell me how that's a not annoying-as-heck.

From what I remember this was a last-minute idea and hasn't been in the works for very long. Its backbone feels like either the shrouding system or MM system. I can see the benefit being most useful to a person that only wants 1 char and its a new TLP server. the idea of not having to flag another alt for PoTime is nice. Other than that, this is a really bad idea to bring to a 25-year-old game where people are already 16/16+ created on their favorite server/account.

Ran into my first bug with I think is a persona problem. Was 4 boxing when the servers went down the first time. When they came back up 3 of my 4 boxes were level 1 persona's and missing all their plat. Only one account was holding a lot of plat. I will keep most of my plat in a shared back from now on.

Q: Can I absorb existing alternate characters to gain the equivalent level Alternate Persona including gear, AA, tradeskills and inventory?
A: No, not currently. It’s something we're considering for the future, but not right now.

Realistically, do you guys think this will ever happen?

Q: Can I absorb existing alternate characters to gain the equivalent level Alternate Persona including gear, AA, tradeskills and inventory?
A: No, not currently. It’s something we're considering for the future, but not right now.

Realistically, do you guys think this will ever happen?
who knows - dbg is all over the place. still dont have guild depots

Can't believe people aren't min maxing persona yet... Make a druid and a wizard for all 6 characters in your fellowhsip... Bind each Wiz and Druid persona to a good place now you have 6 x 2 = 12 places you can group ort your entire fellowship to and then gate back change back to your main and fellowship campfire back.

the question i have is how will Kiss address the same toon multiple classes issue that persona's will create i have a 125 rogue worst molo class next to maby zerker , i created a mage persona one of the best molo classes to level up for when im going solo. how do i setup an ini for the mage that wont overwrite the ini i have for the rogue ?

the question i have is how will Kiss address the same toon multiple classes issue that persona's will create i have a 125 rogue worst molo class next to maby zerker , i created a mage persona one of the best molo classes to level up for when im going solo. how do i setup an ini for the mage that wont overwrite the ini i have for the rogue ?

You can already create and load alternate ini files for KissAssist. https://www.redguides.com/wiki/KissAssist

Alternate ini files: You can also tell KissAssist to load an alternate ini file. If your wizard has a separate ini to use ice nukes instead of fire nukes or your tank wants to run a DPS setup on easier content, you can just save another ini file and load that instead of your defaults, e.g.

/mac kissassist ini kissassist_Name_IceNukes.ini

Question - Alternate Persona, am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back