• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Action sequence for multi-mob pulls (1 Viewer)

kenshon

RedCents
230¢
With a melee group (110 WAR/BRD/SHM/BER and a j5 cleric merc) that is perhaps passable on gearing/AAs (e.g., snowbound + auto-grant AAs), looking for advice on how to handle multi-pulls with focus on approach, not gearing.

I have had situations where a 2 or 3-pull spikes my warrior to death on inc while I alt tab to shammy for slows or waiting for bard's mez song to hit.

The obvious big changes I can think of:

- Pull with the Bard -- though I'd prefer to just multi-pull with Warrior for simplicity
- Make sure War has hit a big Disc on Inc (Fort/Flash/PDH)
- Use boxing software (even ISBoxer) instead of alt-tabbing -- I think this is becoming a must-have for this melee group

What sequence of actions I'm thinking for multi-pulls (in rough order):

- Shaman pre-casts Incapacity on Warrior (for the reactive slows)
- Shaman pre-casts HoT and drops AA heal totem (to have heals ticking from the get-go)
- Warrior pulls with range to give me more time (instead of running very close to taunt)
- Warrior triggers a defensive disc ASAP on Inc (Fort, Flash or PDH)
- Alt-tab to Shaman to hit hotkey: AE slow -> Frostbitten Gift + Spiritual Squall -> Ancient Alliance (triggered by J5 merc)
- [Optional] Alt-tab to Bard for AE mez, then return to melody
- (theoretically stabilizing, so swap to burn)
- Alt-tab to Bard to hit hotkey: Fierce Eye or QT, Epic 2.0, assist tank
- Alt-tab to Shaman to hit hotkey: Roar, Epic 2.0, assist tank
- Alt-tab to Berserker to DPS down as many adds as possible
- Alt-tab for Warrior discs/taunts and Shaman reckless heal spam hotkey as needed

Any feedback or advice on above ideas, or how you'd approach this? I'll prob check out ISBoxer b/c doing everything above sounds like absolute hell alt-tabbing.

However, my questions around actions/sequence are the same regardless if I alt-tab or use software. How do you handle multi-pulls?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
With a melee group (110 WAR/BRD/SHM/BER and a j5 cleric merc) that is perhaps passable on gearing/AAs (e.g., snowbound + auto-grant AAs), looking for advice on how to handle multi-pulls with focus on approach, not gearing.

I have had situations where a 2 or 3-pull spikes my warrior to death on inc while I alt tab to shammy for slows or waiting for bard's mez song to hit.

The two obvious big changes I can think of:

- Pull with the Bard -- though I'd prefer to just multi-pull with Warrior for simplicity
- Use boxing software (even ISBoxer) instead of alt-tabbing -- I think this is becoming a must-have for this melee group

- Shaman pre-casts HoT and drops AA heal totem (to have heals ticking from the get-go)
- Warrior pulls with range to give me more time (instead of running very close to taunt)
- Alt-tab to Shaman to hit hotkey: AE slow -> Frostbitten Gift + Spiritual Squall -> Ancient Alliance
- Alt-tab for Warrior discs/taunts and Shaman reckless heal spam hotkey as needed

Any feedback or advice on above ideas, or how you'd approach this? I'll prob check out ISBoxer b/c doing everything above sounds like absolute hell alt-tabbing.

However, my questions around actions/sequence are the same regardless if I alt-tab or use software.

Thanks!!
Hi! Are you not automating anything, but relying solely on Alt-Tab, or hotkeys designed to switch to specific toons? My thoughts here:

1. Setup automation for all toons including/except (depending on your playstyle) the driver toon (Warrior). This alone will fix the majority of your issues. The bard will auto mez, the shaman will slow/heal, etc. Having to Alt Tab all of the time is a pain. Also, why not use Ctrl+# keys and assign them. CTRL+1, CTRL+2. You can do this through AutoLogin and setting up a team profile. Be consistent. I always have Driver as CTRL+1, 2nd assist as 2, CC as 3, DPS 4, 2nd heals/DPS 5, Main heals 6.
2. If a 2 or 3 pull is causing you grief, you may not be geared/AA enough for the content you are attempting with that setup if you are not using automation of some kind. What is the J5 Cleric set to? Reactive I hope.
3. Warrior should be pulling with range at every opportunity he can. Why waste a taunt on a mob that has zero threat on it? Just get proximity agro on it if close, no sense taunting and wasting the CD when you might need it in camp if close by.
4. Defensive Disc should help. Using Bandolier Swaps is also good. Start with Sword and Board when you bring them to camp, having that extra AC boost, mitigation, until you get things sorted, and swap to the dmg weapons once things are under control.

To put it in perspective, my Warrior is 90. I am killing lvl 102-105 mobs right now with a 110 shm, 110 bard, 90 bst/ber/ber. Before someone says, it is a 110 shaman. Doesn't matter when I am severely undergeared/underleveled for the content I am doing and I routinely pull 6-8 mobs at a time. I am sometimes unlucky and die on the warrior if the RNG is not in favor, or bard mez is slow to react. However, I can pull 4-5 and no issues because of automation. My main group, same thing but not using a J5 cleric, but automated toon. SK/CLR/SHM/MNK/BRD/MAG. Routinely pull 5-6 at 110, no issues.

Automation is your friend!

The obvious big changes I can think of:

- Make sure War has hit a big Disc on Inc (Fort/Flash/PDH)

- Alt-tab to Shaman to hit hotkey: AE slow -> Frostbitten Gift + Spiritual Squall -> Ancient Alliance (triggered by J5 merc)

However, my questions around actions/sequence are the same regardless if I alt-tab or use software. How do you handle multi-pulls?

Thanks!!
Take a look at our RedGuide's new user videos to get an idea of what MacroQuest at RegGuides is all about. >>> here <<<

as someone who manually multi-boxed for many years - macroquest is so amazing

Hi Kenshon.

Use boxing software (even ISBoxer) instead of alt-tabbing

You are here at RG and have enough RedCents for level 2 access, so everyone here probably assumes you are already using boxing software, namely VV MacroQuest. If not, I recommend you follow the guides to get the launcher and MQ installed.

Note that MQ is not KA or any sort of automation by default. Out of the box you will be able to do many of the things ISBoxer can do (better IMHO) with the exception of window management. Frankly, I see no reason to use ISBoxer with MQ (I was using it for window management up to the 64-bit upgrade when it stopped working, and never bothered to get it working after that).

With MQ you can avoid most alt-tabbing by setting up hotkeys on your main character that send commands to your toons (via EQBCS or Dannet). You can also use Autologin to set up hotkeys (e.g., CTRL+SHIFT+1) to swap to a toon directly which is way better than tabbing.

After that, if you are comfortable with it, you can look into automating some things. This is not all-or-nothing. You can go straight to KA or the CWTN plugins that basically play a char, or just write or download some quality-of-life macros or reacts to handle some of these oh crap moments while using hotkeys to ease manual control. Your call.

Question - Action sequence for multi-mob pulls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back