• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - AA on a FTP team (1 Viewer)

RedCents
3,853¢
So through all my various posts I decided to make a second group ( 6 new accounts, all FTP). My long term plan is to use the one chrono I have in reserve on the tank around 85ish to bring him up in AA and generally make him the pillar that the team works around. To me at least, that is where I generally see the biggest jump in content difficulty.

But for my other groups members - shm / rog / bard / zerk x 2 - where should I really focus their AAs? I know a lot of people choose to chrono the whole team once - and maybe I end up going that route long term. But I dont plan on it coming out of the gate.

Which AA's on a limited budget do you guys focus? And yes I realize this will be all over the opinion wise, just curious as to how you lot handle your FTP teams. Got the team to 51 last night, so time to build a plan. Thanks in advance for any input.

I would use the one krono at lvl 105, and activate autogrant-aas. Than you have the 4 weeks of the active krono to gain whatever more aas you like. When the krono runs out, you still keep the gained aas.

I personally waited until 110 then used kronos. Can take a long time and be a rough journey.
It is really tough to work with the 250AA limit (1000 for silver). I definitely recommend krono/pay for a month and grinding AAs, when you are able to. You can always krono/pay for 1 at a time and increase your team incrementally.
I don't think the dps need much in the way of AAs at level 51, but as you start closing in on lvl 85, you get access to more options.

To answer your question. I'd look for AAs that give a larger dps increase or have good utility. I'm assuming level 85 for the next part.
For Berserkers: get a couple of ranks of Combat Fury, several ranks of Burst of Power, first 3 ranks of Veteran's Wrath. Consider Savage Spirit (long cooldown at lower ranks, 1-4 ranks), Uncontained Frenzy, Rageheart's Wrath (2-3 ranks). Round out with what you think looks good.
Rogues: couple of ranks of Combat Fury (4-6 ranks), Burst of Power (4 ranks), Veteran's Wrath (3 ranks). Consider Rogue's Fury, Shroud of Stealth, Triple Backstab (2-5 ranks). Round out
Bard: Fading Memories (2-3, ignore if not pulling with Bard), Sonic Disturbance (rank 1 is probably fine, ignore if not pulling with Bard), Fierce Eye, Quick Time. Consider Mnemonic Retention, Rallying Solo/Call, Selo's Sonata, Instrument Bonus, Reaching Notes (probably only needed if Bard is pulling)
Shaman: Call of the Wild (rank 1), Healing Adept (2-5 ranks), Healing Gift (3-8), Malaise (rank 1), Prolonged Salve, Ancestral Aid (1-2 ranks)Cannibalization, Group Silent Presence, Turgur's Swarm Consider Secondary Forte, Spell Casting Reinforcement, Pact of the Wolf (rank 1, constant 60% haste but more importantly, Werewolves) Soothsayer's Intervention, Turgur's Virulent Swarm

Good luck!

melee/rog/zerk is going to be handicapped with only 250 AA, their dps comes from gear and AA
Your are already limited to non prestige gear/augs, adding the aa restrictions makes them weak.

A caster group is more suited to f2p minimal AA in my opinion.

There are a lot of non-prestige augs, armors and weapons to get when your restricted to F2P/Silver that are overlooked. I usually run my F2P "backup singers" for my groups well into level 100. Their mercs can be useful, sometimes more than them. ;)
Here is a nice guide I always link

But as far as the AA I think that would be very player specific. While I like going for the run speed AA others would not since they have a mount or other means of velocity. Anything that keeps you alive is good. General Sturdiness for sure.

At level 70 I max'd AA and spent a few on each character...

All characters = 5 ranks of run speed! (because slow chars suck!)
All characters = Mnemonic Retention! (because more spell gems vastly increase any chars capabilities!)
All characters = 1 or 2 ranks of foraging (because rare tradeskill items = cash!)
All characters = 1 or 2 ranks of Mystical Attuning (more buffs are better!)

SHD (75 spent) = Innate Darkblade, Cloak of Shadows, Bold Attacks, Encroaching Darkness, Harm Touch
MAG (32 spent) = saving for higher levels
BRD = (65 spent) = 8 ranks of run speed, Innate Songblade, Tune Stuck in Your Head, Scribble Notes
ENC = (32 spent) = saving for higher levels
CLR = (41 spent) = Blessing of Resurrection
DRU = (33 spent) = Nature's Bounty, Exodus

At 75 and again at 85 I'll revisit and buy more spell gems and character defining abilities. Eventually I'll go the Krono route and try to enhance them. But probably only when it becomes painful to play them without the AA enhancements.

I've just been messing around leveling some new toons and I decided to see how long it takes to get AA on a 106 toon, I was able to easily get around 3k AA (from zero AA) in roughly 12ish hours, before I went and turned on autogrant, and have to say it's totally worth doing this way

To the OP. If you have the patience to do the AA without doing auto grant, I tip my hat to you. Before Auto grant was a thing I was leveling my Necro and I did not increase a level until I had max AAs for that level, yes even the useless ones. I did this for about 8 months before I took a break from EQ. When I came back they had auto grant and all of my other toons ended up way more powerful than my necro in a matter of seconds. Long story short, I now feel like I wasted several months of grinding AAs on my necro. If I were planning on eventually using a Krono for a month I would wait until 105 to use it. 105 is the last level you currently get auto granted AAs and if you play as a group you should be able to at least be successful up to gribbles and you can farm gribble until about 107/8ish fairly easily. If you have to spend the AA's I would say you want innate run speed, spell gems, buff slots and try and get AAs leading towards headshots, decapitate etc.

3k in 12 hours? Holy exp grinding batman. I am not sure I can grind even half that fast. I guess it is a challenge.
The amount of AA's you get per amount of experience scales on how many AA's you already have. If you have zero AA's at 106 and kill a lvl 107 mob in a group, you'll get 2-3 AA's per kill. 5 AA's per kill is the cap, which you will hit with lesson running. What I like to do is get 105. Grind 220 aa's. Then turn on autogrant. Saves you an hour of grinding!

Don't forget the bonus on AA earning that you get up to the first 4000 AA.

10 times the base rate (100% of the base rate, plus 900% bonus) at 0 AA's. As you accrue AA's closer to the 4000 mark, that bonus decreases to 0% (for that 100% base at 4000 AA's only, no bonus at all).

If you auto grant you lose that bonus.

Don't forget the bonus on AA earning that you get up to the first 4000 AA.

10 times the base rate (100% of the base rate, plus 900% bonus) at 0 AA's. As you accrue AA's closer to the 4000 mark, that bonus decreases to 0% (for that 100% base at 4000 AA's only, no bonus at all).

If you auto grant you lose that bonus.
Wow, that's some good info. I didn't know that was the bonus. So basically setup your mq2aaspend to blow those first 4k in the focus spells part or general tradeskill tab! Looks like a good opportunity to make some ini's for mq2aaspend!

Is there a list somewhere that shows what AAs aren't autogranted? Every other EQ forum glosses over it and just says 'the tradeskill ones' but this thread seems to indicate that there might be more? If so then perhaps its worth me putting some XP into AA and getting some of those before I autogrant?

The last time I dealt with AAs was circa 2005 and you had to earn them the old fashioned way.

where are the 250 aa's best spent on a warrior?

Sic’s response was probably the best. If you are still hell bent on not popping a krono, I would consider as many survivability passives as possible.

Random thoughts on a humid Friday afternoon.

Be well. Happy tanking.

i will eventually use a krono but warrior is only level 65 and is going to be the tank for some other 60's and 50's.

Around 85-ish (+/-), you may want to pop the krono. At least that was my experience with my SK. Around 85, I popped a krono, and by the time the krono expired he was like 107-ish. I ground the bejeezus out of the 3 Gribble HA’s and the 4 Partisan TBM HA’s. TBM gear lasted me for quite a while.

Ok, it is too humid out here. Time to go back inside for the AC.

Be well. Have a great weekend.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the tip/trick to quickly complete the TBM Defender of Health. After getting the mission, zone in with only the group leader, most likely the warrior. Check to see if it is the cure the overseer mission. If it is not that version, /taskp t the mission and either talk to the quest npc if he is in the zone and exit or wait to get booted. Go pick up the mission again. When you get the correct version, zone in the rest of the group. Once your gear gets rolling, you can complete the cure the overseer version of the HA in 15 minutes, maybe less. Also the named that spawns, if he spawns, can drop the minion enhancement earring that works “full strength” up to level 110.

Last edited:
Sorry to necro this post but why this?
Making it so your only goal for exp is AAs. This would give you an entire month of nothing but AA. Depending on your playing habits it should allow you to max AA on a single krono.

If you intention is to be FTP but also be max AA it's an effective option.

Making it so your only goal for exp is AAs. This would give you an entire month of nothing but AA. Depending on your playing habits it should allow you to max AA on a single krono.

If you intention is to be FTP but also be max AA it's an effective option.
@ChatWithThisName
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+
I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

Question - AA on a FTP team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back