• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Guide - A Detailed Guide To Farming Collectibles! (1 Viewer)

Zypporah

RedCents
80¢
Hello all!

I've been working on collectibles for a few months now, starting with the first xpac where the collectible system originated (RoF). I hope to provide you all some helpful tips for hunting down your own collectibles! Learn from my mistakes and maybe it won't take you months to do it. :-)

• If you're working on hunting down the ground spawn collectible sets, the number one most important thing to do is FOCUS! You can waste a lot of time killing mobs that aren't worth the effort and you get little to no experience (I'm speaking to the "older" sets here if your character is level 115). If your goal is just to work on collectibles, don't work on quests while you're there. It really can be a thief of time. Take it from me.

• In going with the above tip, bring lots of Invis and IVU pots if your character doesn't innately have the ability to invis (note: Named mobs will always see through both regular invis and IVU). Cloudy potion is for non-undead mobs and can be purchased in POK and elsewhere. Philter of Unlife Awareness is for undead mobs and is player-made, so you can either make it or buy it in /baz. I've never paid more than 25pp for each of the Philter of Unlife Awareness on FV. Worth every red cent. ;-)

• I found that the guide from Fanra's will at least help you keep track of which collectibles you have as you go through a zone without having to /ach every 5 minutes. Click here to go to the collectibles page on Fanra's and then click on "Google Docs spreadsheet of all collection items up to Torment of Velious" near the top of the article. Using that helpful document, what I like to do is: before I start looking for the collectibles in the next zone, I go on Zam and look up each set. If it's ground spawn set, I type that in the right column on the spreadsheet, and also type other information that I can glean, such as "in east part of zone" etc. If it's a set that drops off mobs, in that column I type what mobs it drops off of. This has made it much easier to work on these sets.

• I have found a levitating mount to be more helpful in finding the ground spawn collectibles than levitation buff so that I have more freedom. A levitating mount can be really helpful so you can do a flyover of the areas where ground spawns are located (and then you can dismount while in the air). Sometimes the ground spawn collectibles are inside of a bush or bramble of some sort and it's not easy to see it as you run past it on the ground for some reason, or it's in some sort of architectural nook/cranny.

• Other tips for spotting ground spawn collectibles: A common place for a ground spawn collectible is on a door frame, a ledge or sometimes a ceiling. Or, if you're running down a hallway for example, you will notice that there are a pillars in almost all of the hallways in zones that have collectibles. This is not an accident. If you're running north down a hallway, when you get to the end of the hallway, run south. A lot of the ground spawn set locations that are inside of a building, for example, are set that you cannot in any way see a collectible running the one direction down the hall. TURN DOWN YOUR GAMMA! Even just a little bit. It will help you to see the collectibles a lot easier.

• There are a few tips here: 1) Most zones' collectible sets are comprised of 3 sets of items that are ground spawns and 1 set that requires some bloodshed (mob-dropped). 2) Using this as an example, if sets 1, 2 and 3 are ground spawn sets and you do the research to see the areas that each set spawns in, I am confirming the following information after doing entire xpacs of collectibles: If set 1 spawns in area 1, set 2 spawns in area 2 and set 3 spawns in area 3, ALL GROUND SPAWN SETS are tied to each other in the following way: If you go to area 1 and pick up all the collectibles you can see from that set, stay in area 1 until respawns (GROUND SPAWN COLLECTIBLES HAVE A 30 TO 60 SECOND RESPAWN TIMER) and collect the respawned, rinse and repeat until you no longer are getting respawns in area 1, you HAVE to go to area 2 or 3. Area 1 will NOT repopulate again until you clear collectibles from other areas. So although they are different set items, they are on the same "random spawn chance" timer.

Again, I hope you've found this information to be valuable. If you have any questions about hunting down collectibles, just let me know!

Last edited:
Hello all!

I've been working on collectibles for a few months now, starting with the first xpac where the collectible system originated (RoF). I hope to provide you all some helpful tips for hunting down your own collectibles! Learn from my mistakes and maybe it won't take you months to do it. :-)

• If you're working on hunting down the ground spawn collectible sets, the number one most important thing to do is FOCUS! You can waste a lot of time killing mobs that aren't worth the effort and you get little to no experience (I'm speaking to the "older" sets here if your character is level 115). If your goal is just to work on collectibles, don't work on quests while you're there. It really can be a thief of time. Take it from me.

• In going with the above tip, bring lots of Invis and IVU pots if your character doesn't innately have the ability to invis (note: Named mobs will always see through both regular invis and IVU). Cloudy potion is for non-undead mobs and can be purchased in POK and elsewhere. Philter of Unlife Awareness is for undead mobs and is player-made, so you can either make it or buy it in /baz. I've never paid more than 25pp for each of the Philter of Unlife Awareness on FV. Worth every red cent. ;-)

• I found that the guide from Fanra's will at least help you keep track of which collectibles you have as you go through a zone without having to /ach every 5 minutes. Click here to go to the collectibles page on Fanra's and then click on "Google Docs spreadsheet of all collection items up to Torment of Velious" near the top of the article. Using that helpful document, what I like to do is: before I start looking for the collectibles in the next zone, I go on Zam and look up each set. If it's ground spawn set, I type that in the right column on the spreadsheet, and also type other information that I can glean, such as "in east part of zone" etc. If it's a set that drops off mobs, in that column I type what mobs it drops off of. This has made it much easier to work on these sets.

• I have found a levitating mount to be more helpful in finding the ground spawn collectibles than levitation buff so that I have more freedom. A levitating mount can be really helpful so you can do a flyover of the areas where ground spawns are located (and then you can dismount while in the air). Sometimes the ground spawn collectibles are inside of a bush or bramble of some sort and it's not easy to see it as you run past it on the ground for some reason, or it's in some sort of architectural nook/cranny.

• Other tips for spotting ground spawn collectibles: A common place for a ground spawn collectible is on a door frame, a ledge or sometimes a ceiling. Or, if you're running down a hallway for example, you will notice that there are a pillars in almost all of the hallways in zones that have collectibles. This is not an accident. If you're running north down a hallway, when you get to the end of the hallway, run south. A lot of the ground spawn set locations that are inside of a building, for example, are set that you cannot in any way see a collectible running the one direction down the hall. TURN DOWN YOUR GAMMA! Even just a little bit. It will help you to see the collectibles a lot easier.

• There are a few tips here: 1) Most zones' collectible sets are comprised of 3 sets of items that are ground spawns and 1 set that requires some bloodshed (mob-dropped). 2) Using this as an example, if sets 1, 2 and 3 are ground spawn sets and you do the research to see the areas that each set spawns in, I am confirming the following information after doing entire xpacs of collectibles: If set 1 spawns in area 1, set 2 spawns in area 2 and set 3 spawns in area 3, ALL GROUND SPAWN SETS are tied to each other in the following way: If you go to area 1 and pick up all the collectibles you can see from that set, stay in area 1 until respawns (GROUND SPAWN COLLECTIBLES HAVE A 30 TO 60 SECOND RESPAWN TIMER) and collect the respawned, rinse and repeat until you no longer are getting respawns in area 1, you HAVE to go to area 2 or 3. Area 1 will NOT repopulate again until you clear collectibles from other sets. So although they are different set items, they are on the same "random spawn chance" timer.

Again, I hope you've found this information to be valuable. If you have any questions about hunting down collectibles, just let me know!
nice guide Zypph!

Check out MQ2GroundSpawns to auto grab collectibles
and in mq2next you can use mq2status (video > here< explaining why this feature is only on next) to check the collected state of an item on your toons with a /bcga //status collected collectible item name

examples:
1633979264711.png
1633979285516.png

nice guide Zypph!

Check out MQ2GroundSpawns to auto grab collectibles
and in mq2next you can use mq2status (video > here< explaining why this feature is only on next) to check the collected state of an item on your toons with a /bcga //status collected collectible item name

examples:
View attachment 33865
View attachment 33866

🤦‍♀️ Guess my guide has been rendered useless with MQ2. Obviously I'm a n00b who hasn't yet done the level 2 thing/used MQ2 yet. /sigh
Sorry everyone, disregard.

🤦‍♀️ Guess my guide has been rendered useless with MQ2. Obviously I'm a n00b who hasn't yet done the level 2 thing/used MQ2 yet. /sigh
Nah not at all - still awesome information, i still do a ton of stuff on my "driver" and this is absolutely useful information for people

Thanks for the detailed guide. Its good info to have. gifted you a month of lvl 2.. jump in the waters just right.. and tons of info you can learn, add to, or just browse.

Thanks for the detailed guide. Its good info to have. gifted you a month of lvl 2.. jump in the waters just right.. and tons of info you can learn, add to, or just browse.

WOW! Thank you SO MUCH!! I know what I'm going to be doing tonight... finally installing MQ2. I'm so excited!

@Zypporah it's great to have a "hands-on" guide to explain the basics, before using a tool just in case you need to de-bug/understand what is actually happening.

I have a very basic question; why bother with Collectables? I've just returned to EQ and only just hearing about them!

Def dont be sorry! First off, it is a good guide with or without MQ2, just to link to that spreadsheet was helpful! Second, thank you for taking the time and effort to make it!

@Zypporah it's great to have a "hands-on" guide to explain the basics, before using a tool just in case you need to de-bug/understand what is actually happening.

I have a very basic question; why bother with Collectables? I've just returned to EQ and only just hearing about them!

The three reasons that might get folks to complete them:

1. You are that kind of person that literally does every single side quest you can find and missing ANY achievement just drive you nuts.
2. You are trying to progress your TBL Chase loot (this is why I did it)
3. You want the rewards from the collectibles. Some of the placable items are nice and the RoK placeable vault chest is very handy to put on your collectible property if you are going that route.

They also give 2% exp for a complete set(not the older, but you can choose 13 or 14 AA anyway), so if you have 9 or 10 houses full of collectibles you get alot of experience just by doing a /mac collectiblehouse on a new pl'ed 110 char(when exp begins to slow down)

15 AA from modern sets OR a pretty decent chunk of regular Exp (iirc approx 2%). Back when ppl were running for 115 collections was a super easy way to help yourself along.

sorry I'm late in responding to you

My primary reason for doing the sets (I started with first time they were released which was Rain of Fear), is the AA. The whole RoF set, you get something like 1k AA total and a ton of achievements too. Achievements were my second motivator. sometimes the reward for doing the whole set is also nice. I think the RoF one was the most underwhelming so far, but still great. You get a 40 slot box for collectibles, some housing items that you can only unlock by doing the master scavenger achievement (entire RoF collectible set) and some other stuff I'm definitely forgetting. Just for some of the individual set achievements you get armor and stuff which I then sold. The CotF set gives like a 38 slot regular bag (not just for collectibles) and unlocks a trophy AA just for the master collector achievement.

I made this post a while back just cause I can never remember what all the rewards are for finishing different collects and is a lot to try and find on the different guides

Guide - A Detailed Guide To Farming Collectibles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back