• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Request - 3D Printer + Precious Metals Casting (1 Viewer)

bertoxboy

RedCents
Something I already do is melt pure silver and pour it into molds and polish it up for a hobby. Theres an idea that crossed my mind, but I don't have a 3D printer or access to one, I guess i could order 3D prints online and have them shipped. But just wondering if anybody here has a 3D printer willing to make 3D prints using EQ models? Enchanter epic cast in silver be nice or some of those swords as a letter opener cast in silver, etc. Basically anything from in game could be cast. It is not limited to just EQ, here is what a quick 30 second search yielded:

https://www.reddit.com/r/everquest/comments/2il2qc/3d_printed_eq_character/

Below is just one example I have at hand, it is still unfinished but balanced enough to spin... original was a zinc alloy spinning top, duplicated into silver

Attachments

• IMG_20160419_162600986.jpg
    IMG_20160419_162600986.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20160419_162542809.jpg
    IMG_20160419_162542809.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have a kit build kossel printer but unfortunately I've not been able to finish going through setting it up. It's on my to do list as it is part of larger business plan that I already did start up on. One thing I'll advise you on, if you go to purchase a retail machine, be sure to look through their limitations on materials to use, software interfaces etc. To make it retail oriented, they usually have to be pretty proprietary in order to customer support. Good luck!

Cool, I'll be following this. I do some blacksmithing in medieval festivals during the summers, but more practical tools and weapons with a celtic look.

Process from start to finish:

1) Extract 3D models from EQ
2) Print 3D models
3) Make their molds
4) Cast into silver

I don't have the time or enough expertise to do step 1 and 2, if somebody could even play around witht he software or get me the 3D models in a universal format, I'd order 3D prints from some online source and cast them...

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty serious about doing this one day. if somebody seriously wants to put in the time into extracting models from EQ and sending me in at least a semi finished 3D file format, I will get them printed either through a friend or through an online venue and reproduce at least 2 replicas into silver. Your incentive would be one of those solid silver duplicates. I will produce it at a loss to myself, you simply pay for the weight of the object, I will pay for the time and other materials required in the process, I expect it to be approx $20-30 depending on size (exact price depends on it's weight obviously), but it will be a solid silver cast with some weight. You won't want to chuck this thing at your friend. If interested, please post here..

- - - Updated - - -

Some progress was made... I did have issues finding the right freeware to extract models from the game, but now I've figured out how to take a "screenshot" of the current zone and extract anything in that instance as a model. here are some exported and cleaned up models I've taken out, just my enchanter on TLP (yes with old models, for nostalgia) as well as the enchanter epic scaled up.

Attachments

• character model.jpg
    character model.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 6
  • ench epic model.jpg
    ench epic model.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 4
I've ordered a 3d print of the enchanter epic. My next step after it arrives is to cast it in silver. I estimate 2 weeks, let's see how this turns out.

20160513_130400.jpg
20160513_130531.jpg

I'll link a Youtube video as well in UHD

- - - Updated - - -

Overall I'm pretty happy with it... it was just a test run. it was kind of difficult to work with such a small piece... but it turned out ok. I'll probably put it up for auction in the bazaar forums before I start working on something new.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well, good to know people aren't interested. At least I don't have to waste my time with this anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Enchanter epic isn't my cup of tea in this medium. You made mention of more interesting things in the sales thread, like dragons. :) If you went that direction, I know I'd definitely be interested. Hope you had fun making it, either way!

I'd suggest a 3d model of Maksoi doing something embarasing. Too bad I suck at 3d modeling. Nice start, but perhaps try something a little more exciting like the SK epic, I agree with AE, that is interesting, but will not make me part with any cash.

Request - 3D Printer + Precious Metals Casting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back