• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - 2 New Free Heroics - would this be overkill? (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,786¢
I came back to EQ last year during the launch of Mangler for the 20th Anniversary, originally quit in maybe 2004. I ended up getting a second account for Mangler to do some box buff/heals with when I didn't have time to group/grind. Wasn't two bad using a backup laptop and macros.

Just created 2 new heroic characters from the recent Anniversary event and boy is the nonTLP servers a different experience. Really enjoying it but a lot more going on than what I was dealing with on Mangler lol. Created a Ranger and Bard because I never played either class and loving each for different reasons. Right now I main/pull with Ranger and the the Bard is a melody buffer and backup melee. I've always been interested in checking out MQ2, but not sure if I'm interested in running a full group. Is using MQ2 for just two characters a little overkill?

I guess my purpose of this post is to find out from others where they started with MQ2? Is the average person running full groups here - if so did they always start out that way? Did I make a mistake going with a Ranger/Bard duo - what's some other fun duos for high level EQ?

I just came back after 3 year break, been playing since maybe 2000? on and off and this is the first time i ever used MQ2. You know how they say you can never get back that first feeling when you started playing EQ? Well that's true but this experience using redguides is the closest I've ever gotten.

I just came back after 3 year break, been playing since maybe 2000? on and off and this is the first time i ever used MQ2. You know how they say you can never get back that first feeling when you started playing EQ? Well that's true but this experience using redguides is the closest I've ever gotten.

That's what I've kind of been thinking about. I did the whole Mangler thing and it was great and I experienced so much more of EQ classic the second time around than I did the first. But not I'm looking for the next evolution. Was feeling like multi-boxing might be that itch.

be careful, it gets addicting. You start out with a few toons, move up to a full group. Next thing you know, you gotta full blown raid.

Shiiiit, maybe I'm subconsciously scared of that happening. Should I be scared? Lol

I'm perfectly fine working on real macros/scripts but not sure if I'd get caught up in the "perfecting" em more than I do play them.

All 6 toons all-access?

Shiiiit, maybe I'm subconsciously scared of that happening. Should I be scared? Lol

I'm perfectly fine working on real macros/scripts but not sure if I'd get caught up in the "perfecting" em more than I do play them.

All 6 toons all-access?

Yes, i came back last friday with the intent of only 6 toons, but it was anni and they were giving out free heroics for the krono, so i ended up getting 12 accts.

Do you actually box with all 12 at once? Same PC?

I got the last 6 on the last day of anniversary, since I've only used MQ2 for 7 days now, im still getting used to it and im leveling up the chars, so i haven't had the chance. But I do have a reasonable set up of a 6 core i7 and 2080 super, i could theoretically do 40+ on the same comp from reports i've heard with a lesser set up.

I got the last 6 on the last day of anniversary, since I've only used MQ2 for 7 days now, im still getting used to it and im leveling up the chars, so i haven't had the chance. But I do have a reasonable set up of a 6 core i7 and 2080 super, i could theoretically do 40+ on the same comp from reports i've heard with a lesser set up.

oh man so you are fresh like me, that's awesome. Did you start right off on MQ2 with 6 toons, all heroic then I'm assuming because of the event? Just curious, but what were the classes you picked for the first 6?

I was really debating grabbing another heroic character on a third account since the free heroic was a really good deal.

i had 1 acct that i hadnt sold and it had a 105 SK and Zerker, so the remainder of the 5 i went the route of a war so i could switch out the SK, cleric, shaman, bard, zerker, zerker

Definitely not overkill for 2 characters. MQ2 has so many features and tools to use outside of boxing, that I think even people who only ever play a single character at a time would get benefit from having this installed.

Greetings ALL... To put my (where did they go? I just had them! Oh their they are) 2 redcents in. I have been playing off and on since EQ started. I have for the longest time only played one character at a time. One account and moved from character to character another when the mood struck me. It wasn't till EQ introduced the Mercs that I started to think about having a second account. When I just recently came back this time and got my two accounts activated I was doing just fine trying to Alt Tab between them. I also began to watch other players and groups. I started asking myself how does he do that with all those in that group. (some players make it very obvious that only one player was in control of the group).

Then I found Redguides. I made an account and started learning. I think I spent more time learn and watching the videos than actually playing. But I started figuring it all out and had my (4 man group) running around (2 char and 2 merc.) and it was a lot easier to do things and switch between the accounts. After a bit I added a new free account and was running around with 3 and 3 for a full group of 6. And I was great. With the help from all the folks here and the quick response to my (dumb) question I started to realize that I didn't need the merc (who suck up plats) and got a few more free accounts going. Now I am learning how and what a full group can to. Still learning a lot but I also have in my own way tried to contribute here as well.

So I suggest that you try it out with just the 2by2 group till you get used to it and add a 3 and see how that is. You might be surprised at what you can do and can accomplish.

I had 4 silver accounts that I hadn't used since about 2005. I was trying Alt+TAB / macros and it was ok but got confusing sometimes. Watched a few of SIc's videos and thought I'd give MQ2 a shot. It's quite a steep learning curve, but what a difference it makes. I made 2 new F2P accounts and power leveled 2 new characters. I've been running 6 ever since. I'm still learning and tweaking but it's been fun.

I think the best thing I figured out so far was how to get my 70 druid to follow a lowbie character out of group and buff/heal the lowbie with KissAssist

I started not too long ago with a Ranger/Mage duo, plus mercs. I'm thinking of adding a Bard and could easily see myself ramping up from there. I second the sentiment that even running one toon gets value out of MQ2, and multiboxing is really addicting.

Yeah, how am I supposed to play EverQuest ever again now without MQ2? 🤡 Even for a single character, a lot of the meta information that is available is so good (Vendor price on loot FTW).

So far been messing around with KissAssist on my Ranger/Bard team. Shout out to the peeps that have shared their INI's out there, used a pre-built and tweaked it to accommodate my newer spells. I'm much more comfortable reverse-engineering than my own designs. My next step is to KissAssist both characters while I'm working, keeping the game up on a separate monitor to keep an eye on it. Then from there, already working on some ideas to add members to the squad. Thinking of adding Shaman, SK, Zerker, Zerker.

This is what I would miss most. I can do without automation and only focus on 1-2 characters, but being lost on some of the smaller features that we now take for granted, would just ruin me, would ruin EQ.
Yeah, havent played without mq2 in like forever. I guess I would go bananas trying to do things the old way without the golden additions from @eqmule and the community.

Question - 2 New Free Heroics - would this be overkill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back