• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Strategy - Your training has already begun. (1 Viewer)

smalls_2020

RedCents
60¢
From 1 to 24.

This is my experience thus far with KissAssist.

This is not a guide or tutorial, just insights.

The group composition is as follows:
Shadowknight - Tank/Main
Shaman - Main Heals/Buffs
Druid - Backup Heals/DS/Port

2 priests, silly right?

Experimentation:

I got MQ2 as a Christmas present to myself after a friend in-game told me about it.
This was on the Test server. I started a brd/bst/bst trio as my first toons,
got the software running, and went to town reading the Manual.
After this I used a brd/nec/nec because the bst's weren't cutting it for dps (totally my fault, probably)
I got both groups to around 60, before running brd/bst/nec, and then finally
brd/nec/sk(my main on Test, lvl 95).

Bards, Beastlords, and Necros all started at level 1 on Test.
The final composition on Test looked like this:
brd - lvl 82
nec - lvl 82
sk - lvl 95
I did use the /testbuff command to get them starter gear and level 25.
Killed apes in The Dream at the end for the most part(lb to the sk). It took 2-3 days to get to lvl 82,
and I was tweaking configs a lot, not trying to powerlevel.

When reading the manual and my .ini files,
using 'ctrl+f' with '[' in the beginning is very helpful. All of the most important stuff
in the can be accessed this way, e.g.:
[DPS]
[Melee]
[Buffs]

Q: Is there a way to edit .ini files and have the changes take effect without
having to restart KissAssist?

There are also very useful slash commands which can be used while KissAssist is running
but the changes made using slash commands don't seem to persist to the config files, or maybe
they do and I'm doing something wrong.
E.g.
/setdps 1 2 3 -Set spell gems 1, 2, and 3 to cast during combat.
/setbuffs 1 2 3 -Set spellgems 1, 2, and 3 to buff during combat.
... More in the manual.

It's helpful to remember these commands are ONE WORD.
I can't tell you how many times I typed '/set dps 1 2 3'
and get some wonky parse error message that never seems to go away.

-I no longer run KissAssist when running around or afk. At the beginning of a run,
I /mac kissassist and at the end of the run when toons are low on mana I /end.

-I always have to remember to target my tank (or someone, at the very least) before running
/mac kissassist. If I'm attacked during this process, things get annoying.

-I don't use input parameters when I run these commands, because the configs are already proper.
This took A LOT of experimentation to figure out.
Setting the Role under [General] should be all I need - Assist or Tank (there are more than this).

I manually target my tank and alt+tab between the 3 boxes while out of combat.

I experimented with making socials hotkeys to start the tank/assists using /bccmd,
but I find it simpler to use the command line and start manually
(NOT in manual mode - /mac kissassist manual).

In the beginning, I relied too heavily on KissAssist, but now I'm coming back to the game more
and using the in-game commands I'm familiar with.

Levels 1-16

I began in the tutorial REALLY hoping to complete it and get all the armor.

I did not have the patience to quest, so I skipped it. Too much hailing and trying to figure out who
has what drop etc. I prefer to be in combat.
I did begin it, got to the point where I was killing rats, realized one of
my toons didn't get the quest, then left.

I ran around Crescent Reach in the beginner area killing everything I could, collecting everything
I could. Still a bit annoyed the default in advloot is to leave everyting, as I lost a lot of loot this
way when I had the advloot window minimized. Whoops! In the future I may configure these, but
I haven't gotten that far yet.

I've found when I mark everything as 'always need' then 'roll',
the loot window eventually disappears per camp, and I grab everything correctly.

I hit level 5 relatively quick, and moved to the next area. Barter in this spot was useful.
I bought a Mace of the Shadowed Soul for 450p off Bazaar because I had bartered pelts.

I have no gear and no plat at this point, except what I started with and loot.

I stayed in this area, killing bears and cougars in their caves, until I was ready for the Undead.

Levels 16-24

Here's where things got fun. All this time, I was tweaking the config files at each camp
trying to conserve the mana of the casters while keeping HP up.

A typical run lasts me much longer now than when I started, because I've gotten better
at mana conservation. A typical run looks like this:

1. Alt+Tab between the 3 boxes and target my main, type /mac kissassist
2. Pull one mob at a time, wreck it, then pull another one. I pull manually, so I can stay on my toes
and look around the camp for pops while I'm fighting.
3. When running around 10% mana, I back out of the camp, and when I get to a safe spot to med,
type /end
(I usually swap between the characters mid-run a few times to make sure they're casting, no errors, etc.)

Because my characters aren't geared, except with what I've looted, I try to kill light blues,
dark blues and whites. The map is VERY useful with all the mobs and colors displayed beautifully.
Sidenote: I feel like I'm playing an oldschool space game when running through zones avoiding mobs
with the map open. Fun!

This is the latest iteration of my makeup:
Druid:
[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
BuffsSize=3
Buffs1=Protection of Rock
Buffs2=Firefist
Buffs3=Shield of Barbs
RebuffOn=1
CheckBuffsTimer=10
[Melee]
AssistAt=95
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=75
StickHow=snaproll
AutoFireOn=0
UseMQ2Melee=1
TargetSwitchingOn=0
[DPS]
DPSOn=1
DPSSize=1
DPSSkip=10
DPSInterval=2 ---- It took me a while to figure this out without chaincasting too fast.
DPS1=Grasping Roots|100|debuffall|once
DebuffAllOn=1
[Heals]
HealsOn=1
HealsSize=1
Heals1=Healing|50
[Cures]
CuresOn=1
CuresSize=3
Cures1=Cure Disease|Disease
Cures2=Cure Poison|Poison
Cures3=Remove Minor Curse

Shaman:
[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
BuffsSize=6
Buffs1=Spirit Strength|MA
Buffs2=Spirit of Cat|MA
Buffs3=Spirit of Ox|MA
Buffs4=Spirit of Monkey|MA
Buffs5=Burst of Strength|MA
Buffs6=Regeneration|MA
RebuffOn=1
CheckBuffsTimer=10
[Melee]
AssistAt=95
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=1
MeleeDistance=75
StickHow=snaproll
AutoFireOn=0
UseMQ2Melee=1
TargetSwitchingOn=0
[DPS]
DPSOn=1
DPSSize=1
DPSSkip=10
DPSInterval=2
DPS1=Drowsy|100|debuffall|once
DebuffAllOn=1
[Heals]
HealsOn=1
HealsSize=1
Heals1=Healing|80

Shadowknight:
[Buffs]
BuffsOn=1
BuffsSize=2
Buffs1=Grim Aura
Buffs2=Vampiric Embrace
RebuffOn=1
CheckBuffsTimer=10
[Melee]
AssistAt=95
MeleeOn=1
FaceMobOn=2 ---- This was a nice change for my main, not sure if it's useful for the bots.
MeleeDistance=30 ---- Turning this down helps with pulling and movement in-combat.
StickHow=snaproll
AutoFireOn=0
UseMQ2Melee=1
TargetSwitchingOn=0 ---- Q: What does this do???
[DPS]
DPSOn=1
DPSSize=3
DPSSkip=5
DPSInterval=10 ---- This is 10 seconds, I believe, between when the last spell in the chain is cast and the first one is re-cast.
DPS1=Disease Cloud|95|once
DPS2=Lifetap|95
DPS3=Spike of Disease|95
DebuffAllOn=0 ---- This should probably be 1??
[Pet]
PetOn=1
PetSpell=Convoke Shadow
PetShrinkOn=0
PetShrinkSpell=Tiny Companion
PetBuffsOn=0

The configs are combat configs - for running in combat.
I had Spirit of Wolf up for a long time before dropping it.
I kept thinking, 'Okay two SoWers, who wants to cast it???' and annoyingly swapped back and
forth before dropping it for an extra combat-specific gem. Now I cast it manually before
a fight, or don't cast it at all.

I am not currently using the useful /writespells command, although I will in the future.
I don't like to sit down and remem spells during combat, which I ran into multiple times because
the config wasn't correct. (Because I wasn't using /writespells, /memmyspells, or perhaps
I tried and failed to use them).

I know there's a way to mem multiple spellsets, but I haven't gotten that far yet. When I'm there,
I will have my shaman and druid do much more combat oriented spells (assuming mana is there).

At level 24 with no gear, if I DOT, Slow, Malaise / DOT, Snare, Root, Nuke......
My healers run out of mana,
then I go back and sit and am bored,
or I die because I don't get healed.

I use 3 Tier II Apprentice Wizard Mercenaries for DPS. They're xp/plat hogs.

I was lvl 24 getting ready for another run, when a lvl 19 bard ran up
and killed the whole camp at once. I was more than embarrassed that I'd been single pulling
these with 3 toons 5 levels higher than him. He had a DS potion from baz worth about 24 plat,
and gear appropriate for his level or higher.

After that happened, I stopped to write this article.

A HUGE thank you to Maskoi and Team,
for opening big doors in-game
and rekindling my love of software.

The newly released kissassist12 lets you reload sections of the ini without restarting the macro, if you change the buffs section in your ini for example you can type /kasettings load buffs

Kissassist is designed to be kept running so you may find it works better if you pause in between fights using /mqp rather than /endmac, if you need to that is I normally just ledge it keep running - and buffs can be applied in the downtime between fights, normally spell gem 8 is just used to load miscellaneous spells and buffs as required outside of fights, but anything in your dps section should be memmed in slots 1-7 so they're ready to cast.

There is a tutorial.mac that can be run which helps with all the hailing required in glooming deep, I found the pathing a little buggy with it but it helps with getting the quests from the NPC's

I like your posts, real stream of consciousness style to them.

From your tank you can type /bcg //mac kissassist assist $tankname

/bcg - Broadcast Group - sends the following command to any group members running EQBC which is included in your MQ2

Appending the assist $tankname will tell them to run kissassist in mode=assist setting the $tankname as their assist

This will save you the hassle of having to alt tab to all of your bots and /target and run the macro

If you use mq2autoloot don't forget to go into your advloot settings and turn auto loot all back on because the plugin will turn it off and you will miss out on a lot of loot. You have to do it on every toon. Stupid default imo to have loot disabled on an auto loot plugin but whatever. Reasons is why. Reasons.

Strategy - Your training has already begun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back