• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Wii first impressions (1 Viewer)

Frybread

RedCents
31¢
Whenever I hear "virtual reality", which I don't as often as I did in the 90's, I think bulky headsets that cost thousands of dollars which deliver shitty polygonal models. Maybe the first step shouldn't be visuals, it should be controls.

Since the two big reviewers disagree about the wiimote in their zelda reviews,

IGN said:
...simulating a sword swipe is simply more engaging and therein more satisfying than pressing a button... this new method of control obliterates the former one and there is no going back.

Gamespot said:
There's no finesse to the way the Wii Remote is used, and at times you'll wish that you could just hit a button to swing the sword instead of dealing with all the motion-sensing nonsense.

I'm wondering what your impressions are of the Wiimote.

I've only had about 2 hours playing the "Wii Sports" game but I'm split.

For any game that requires power by judging how fast you move, the wiimote is a gimmick by the very definition of the word.

For example, the baseball game. I'd hold it like a real bat (as real as a 5" bat can be anyway) and swing. It was pretty amazing at first, but the amazing wore off when I found a way around swinging that only took a few tries to figure out. You hold the wiimote in your hand and flick it - the sensor assumes you're swinging fast and you hit the ball out of the park every time.

Flicking the wiimote is superior to swinging, so showing people swinging in advertisements is just a gimmick, as good players would never do that.

On the other hand, for the games that require aiming or precision - like the Bowling or Golf games, it's much harder to find a way to "cheat" the wiimote. I still play these games standing, sitting doesn't feel natural, and I simulate the same movements I'd do in the real sports.

I won't be able to make up my mind until I try more games, but as it stands I believe the wiimote will be better used for aiming and precision than power type moves which are easily cheated.

On further reflection, moving your hand in order to aim isn't as revolutionary as it sounds. PC Gamers have been doing this for more than 17 years. Wiimote is just adding an extra axis.

I got my Wii yesterday and daaamn did my roommate and I play a lot. My arms are sore as hell today. One thing I have noticed though, IGN seems to be a bit more 'pro-Wii' than Gamespot. Hell Zelda only rated an 8.8 on Gamespot. Most Wii games are rating between 5-7 on their site. IGN seems to like the Wii a bit more giving most the games 8-9s. I think Gamespot just gets hardons for consoles with XBox or PS3 in the name.

I should get to play with one within a few days. I did kind of expect the "flick"-style of play with the wiimote, though.

Make a video of you playing with the wii, it'll be the closest thing I'll get to playing wii with friends :(

Make a video of you playing with the wii, it'll be the closest thing I'll get to playing wii with friends :(
I'll mail you a wiimote, and then you can flick it all you want while we're playing. If needed, I'll run TS so you can be updated on how you're doing in game.

I kinda figured that the Wii remote would end up pretty similar to how DDR seems where people simply use the smallest motion needed to perform the action as it's more efficient. I guess it just goes along with it that in any game where the speed of the motion of the controller determines power that you would be able to cheese it.

I kinda figured that the Wii remote would end up pretty similar to how DDR seems where people simply use the smallest motion needed to perform the action as it's more efficient. I guess it just goes along with it that in any game where the speed of the motion of the controller determines power that you would be able to cheese it.

That was a concern of mine too--that, & the fact your body doesn't have the same endurance for repeating complex complex wrist/arm movements as it does for twitching a finger to depress a button. NES Track Meet w/ a PowerPad was a great novelty when you had your friends over & wanted something to do together, however it wasn't the type of game you buy w/ the intention of playing alone in your room every night until you "beat it".

Yeah. I was just posting on another forum how I think a night of drunken table tennis or something on the Wii might be amusing with a few friends however actually standing around to play Zelda didn't really sound appealing. Most of my console gaming time alone is done when I am feeling too lazy to actually have to sit up in front of my PC so I veg out on the couch and play games that take even less physical exertion that using a PC haha.

DAMN YOU AMERICANS! JAPAN DOESN'T GET UNTIL SATURDAY OF NEXT WEEK (12/2)

AUUUUUGHHH

Are you serious? WTF? I thought Nintendo would release it in Japan first, not second.

On that note, if it makes you feel better, I haven't bought one, nor do I have any intention of getting one in the near future. :-P

My family has also elected not to purchase the Weii. After having purchased DDR (several versions) Karaoke Revolutions (several versions for our daughter who still can't sing) and Guitar Hero (which was fun for a little longer than the other two games I mentioned) we realized that the long term playability is about nil in our household.

There is a novelty to it that I think is unsurpassed and younger people may enjoy it longer than my family of two teenage children and two adults. In my household the ability to relax while playing your game of choice outweighs the novelty of motion detection.

Yeah. I was just posting on another forum how I think a night of drunken table tennis or something on the Wii might be amusing with a few friends however actually standing around to play Zelda didn't really sound appealing. Most of my console gaming time alone is done when I am feeling too lazy to actually have to sit up in front of my PC so I veg out on the couch and play games that take even less physical exertion that using a PC haha.

I have Zelda on the Wii. You don't stand around to play it. You sit there and rest your hands on your lap as you would with any other system. Just now instead of pressing a button to swing your sword, you flick your wrist.

I have Zelda on the Wii. You don't stand around to play it. You sit there and rest your hands on your lap as you would with any other system. Just now instead of pressing a button to swing your sword, you flick your wrist.

I haven't had the chance to try one out. I guess I had just assumed the games would want enough motion to actually resemble the actions in game. If you can complete all of the actions with small flicks of the wrist it would only be mildly annoying rather than extremely annoying when wanting to "relax".

I haven't had the chance to try one out. I guess I had just assumed the games would want enough motion to actually resemble the actions in game. If you can complete all of the actions with small flicks of the wrist it would only be mildly annoying rather than extremely annoying when wanting to "relax".

It's really not that bad. I don't find it annoying and all the movements don't seemed force but just natural.

Here's a gttv clip about how to use the wiimote to play a game (DBZ Tenkaichi); they show the controllers in a picture-in-picture so you can actually see how much movement is involved in actual gameplay for a normal (non-sports) game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juo6iek5bvw

That's not too too bad but still looks like it would be a bit annoying haha. I will still probably buy one so I guess it's a moot point~

Wii first impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back