• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Why Redguides? (1 Viewer)

Platious

banned
BANNED
RedCents
I'll do my best to keep the fuel off the flames but really, come on... It is a factual observation from anyone with the ability to place their eyes on this site.

I think it goes without saying that the paying customers of this site deserve more from it's staff then they are getting. I am not talking about results from code where the creators of the code have bested your efforts.. More along the lines of a daily, semi daily, weekly (something) report as to what efforts staff members are taking to improve upon and/or resolve the issues at hand (obviously if that were to happen there would be self back patting for days on end and we'd all know about it anyway).

Instead, it seems we get a lot of "scripted" responses. Frankly, why would that encourage future individuals to re-up or subscribe to RGs'? If customers (your have our money, hence we are your customers that you service) wanted to hang around in limbo we'd just log in to the site that ACTUALLY does the work where RGs' gets it's code from (a site that incidently is FREE) and wait for word on their forums.

Since 4 yearly subscriptions are enough to cover the minimalist storage that RGs' uses from any of several dozen sites, are we to presume that the remainder of the subscriptions are being used to pay coders and/or acquire accounts? Well, that's fine. But when you run out of accounts to acquire, we want to know what efforts the individuals that are being payed are taking (on a daily/regular(weekly or less) basis) to work together on coding or in world developing the toons(tools/resources) they need to test the uncharted waters of your coding attempts.

So, ultimately.. (For Everquest users...) Why Redguides and not any of the others sites?

Cause RedGuides is who everybody leeches off of, cause RedGuides is a comunity that everybody loves(well...mostly....) everybody.

The extra money goes into the monthly prizes for the monthly poles. If you don't like the site, go to one of the no good leeching sites :)

Or, if you don't like the 6bucks a month thing, just post stuff to get free months.

Generel said:
Cause RedGuides is who everybody leeches off of

Cut out most of your quote but that might have been somewhat accurate in the past its defiantly not the case now.

When it gets down to it every site leeched off MQ2.com.

Why choose redguides?
Because its a community that offers support. Some responses may be scripted but if you actually deal with a Dev/Mod or really need help and join IRC you get it.

Redguides is a community, it's not a service nor is it a result guarnteed. I understand the frontpage is outdated and that is being worked on (Redguides 2.0 coming up and all).

We do not gaurantee compiles, we do not gaurantee plugins, we do not guarantee that every cheat will work. So everytime I hear "Full EQ service" I have to wonder what you mean. We have looked to make sure that someone is doing pre-compiles for the better of the community, we have no problem with others doing compiles as long as they stick with GPL and the site policy of no MQ2VIP plugins without permission.

In the past EQ / WoW was the games to be playing, others not so much. The cheating community was healthy and rich with talent. The splintering of the community due to other games rising up to grab up subscriptions. Most of the old, true, hackers have moved on to other games. So what we are faced with is a diluted ratio of takers over givers and a smaller pool to boot.

The general mindset is that the givers are a zero-sum game. Meaning you can't just find new people, they are already identified and valued and exist wherever they are currently. Some of the other communities have expressed fear that we might be jumping into a bidding war over dev's and begin activily recruiting other sites "givers". Again this is a product of the zero-sum mindset.

We are looking at alternatives and are speaking with those that are working to solve the problem (and would again like to encourage you to speak with us if you are not already). Gal, a dev of another community has done an awesome job and figured it out, this is both good news and bad news, it is good news because it means that the problems associated with the new packet issues can be fixed. It's bad news because it means we are behind the power curve. Those that are working on it work on it in their spare time, they also do not report directly to us. So any update would have to come from an individual.

If you believe we are not doing the best we can, you are welcome to email us at [email protected], or PM an admin or mod directly, you can also join the chat channel (IRC) either by using your own IRC client or by clicking on the chat link and using the built in JavaIRC client.

We encourage feedback, but bitching never solved anything, if you have a complaint and know of a way to fix it or think you know a good way to fix it, let us know. I might be the "Moderating Jerk" but I'm a real person, and I will not bite your head off, I might nibble some though, even jerks have to eat you know!

Thanks ccomp.

Platious, you're right, I should be more upfront about the status of the site. Serious work began about 10 months ago on a new direction for Redguides, with more features for contributers and leaches alike, but we've been hit by many delays, most out of my direct control.

That said, things are shaping up, and Redguides 2.0 is setting up for launch. I don't want to give an exact date, but I will say it's soon. As for what we'll offer, everything we have now TIMES A THOUSAND.

I'm one of the oldest members here. For me, redguides started out as a cheat site. It came to be a community, as ccomp stated.

I honestly don't feel like paying to be part of a community, and never did. Because of that, I attempted to support the community and get free time. I lasted this long on my free time and now it's coming to an end on June 12th.

It used to be that you could just post helpful posts and reply to people's questions and get free time. Apparently that has come to an end, or else people doing awards don't take the time to sift through that stuff anymore. Whichever way it is, there comes a point when you can only do so much with diminishing returns. I only have so much information to offer.

That, combined with my belief that communities can't, or at least shouldn't be, bought, means I'll be letting my subscription run out and move on.

The point of this is to say I believe the reward system has died out and needs revamping. That is, if you want to keep people around who are actually helpful and support the community.

Good luck in the revamps.

I think there are a few things that could do with ironing-out but the problem comes with the time to do so. From what Bema and other Mods have said RB is a busy guy so it can't be easy.

Perhaps if people make valid suggestions maybe Mods can sit down, have a chat and come up with a yay/nay answer to the suggestion based on votes? Once that's done the suggestion can be put to RB with details, actions needed to be taken if he agrees to it and the suggestion gets put into practice?

I think something like that would increase the community value and people would feel a bigger part of it as they have some say on what happens.

Even a "loyalty scheme" wouldn't be too hard to do I don't think... For every month of membership you have maybe you get 5 days free? That way if you're on here for 6 months (180 daysish) you get 30 days free which is a free month? *shrug*

Also an automatic removal of old Negative RC's would be nice... Especially for those of us who have them for little-to-no reason. :(

Ooh ooh AND maybe a reward scheme for redeeming RC's against stuff?

*steps back over the line he crossed a LONG way back*

;)

ild say Redguides is one of the best site i ever enter ever each day,, the member of this forum are reallllly legenday,, ppl who left us and still here are just soo rare to find,, i wont say names, but everyone i've ever posted their names in any of my posts are of them....
its just one great and sweet family...

love to all :D

Why Redguides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back