• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
  • Unfortunately, yes, there is a suspension wave happening around the new tlp launch. :'( Please keep regular discussion to Suspension MegaThread and please consider submitting a Suspension report to RG.

Who is Odessa? (1 Viewer)

jimbo

RedCents
Odessa, man or woman?

I have read more than a hundred of Odessa's posts and found nothing overtly feminine, like calling people 'hun', or anything of that sort. 'Odessa' ends with a soft vowel sound, which, in the US, is typically female. However Odessa is a skilled programmer, which is typically associated with the masculine gender (sorry ladies, just reality). Odessa uses a flower for an avatar (an unusual choice for a man). My first thought was that the flower was the state flower of Texas and Odessa was from Odessa, TX, but the Texas flower turned out to be a BlueBonnet, so that theory was shot down.
:confused:

It realy doesn't matter except for the nuances of our language. I just want to know which personal pronoun to use in reference so I don't get it wrong. Is it 'he' or 'she'? From reading the way peeps reference Odessa, avoiding the personal pronoun, I know I'm not the only one to not have been able to make a confident assumption. So please, someone who knows, let us know. :)

Is he/she my hero or my heroin? ;)

Bahaha

I think I've gotten a feeling before that Odessa is a late-teenage boy, maybe early twenties...

But as a disclaimer.. I have absolutely no idea really.. and I've never talked to Odessa. Ha! There used to be a bard in a guild I was in that was a wood elf female... They refused to actually say male or female in reality and kept everything in text pretty damn androgynous. Never really mattered. She was still cool as a bard and a player.

jimbo said:
Odessa, man or woman?

I have read more than a hundred of Odessa's posts and found nothing overtly feminine, like calling people 'hun', or anything of that sort. 'Odessa' ends with a soft vowel sound, which, in the US, is typically female. However Odessa is a skilled programmer, which is typically associated with the masculine gender (sorry ladies, just reality). Odessa uses a flower for an avatar (an unusual choice for a man). My first thought was that the flower was the state flower of Texas and Odessa was from Odessa, TX, but the Texas flower turned out to be a BlueBonnet, so that theory was shot down.
:confused:

It realy doesn't matter except for the nuances of our language. I just want to know which personal pronoun to use in reference so I don't get it wrong. Is it 'he' or 'she'? From reading the way peeps reference Odessa, avoiding the personal pronoun, I know I'm not the only one to not have been able to make a confident assumption. So please, someone who knows, let us know. :)

Is he/she my hero or my heroin? ;)
I think you're just ON heroin... lol. But seriously (and I'm probably just drunk enough to have noticed this) I think you meant heroine.

Who'd have ever thought of a flower as the symbol for a 'death metal' band?! Definitely original.

Cobalt said:
All lies!!! =) He's really a dolphin.

Maybe it is true AND he's a dolphin. Odessa is a port city in the Ukraine on the Black Sea. So he lives in the bay. ;)

Shortly before the world explodes, he'll sing us a little goodby song..." So long, and thanks for all the fish... " (<-- nobody under 30 will get this, i think)

jimbo said:
Maybe it is true AND he's a dolphin. Odessa is a port city in the Ukraine on the Black Sea. So he lives in the bay. ;)

Shortly before the world explodes, he'll sing us a little goodby song..." So long, and thanks for all the fish... " (<-- nobody under 30 will get this, i think)

Yes it is a port city on the Black Sea :) Good job, and I hope you knew that before that horrible Nick Cage movie.

And you are forgetting that the movie based on the book came out a few years ago so even youngsters might know the phrase :)

Heh, lots of towns in the US with copied names. &#1054;&#1076;&#1077;&#1089;&#1072; Ukraine, is somewhat older than the one in TX tho.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) intro song with the dolphins.. and yes im under 30. Book was better as always {The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams} .

Last edited:
jimbo said:

I talk to the US consulate in Odessa all the time. My company's headquarters is in Cyprus and we use a lot of Russians on our ships.

Does anyone else find it either amazing and/or ironic that 3/4 of EQ players are either retired/active/or in the reserves of the US Military?

I had an old roomate back when I was in the Army who joined the army so he would have more time to play everquest. He's actually the one that got me playing.

Ccomp5950 said:
I had an old roomate back when I was in the Army who joined the army so he would have more time to play everquest. He's actually the one that got me playing.
I'm an offpeak player, and i've had truckloads of american armed forces guys in guilds with me who were all stationed in korea and japan and had nothing to do but play eq all day.

<3 Odessa. I had just been thinking to myself "I wonder if anybody could ever make a radar style mini-map. That would be way cooler than the normal map." A few days after I thought that, I stumbled across Radar and instantly had a new favorite plugin.

I started playing while in the navy, but stationed in Hawaii. When in Japan there was a kid on my ship that played, he was so fucked up I swore I would never play the game though. "Ok, I'll do what you say, just because your rank cons red to me" wtf....

Who is Odessa?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back