• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

What tools do GM's use? (1 Viewer)

cheeky monkey

RedCents
I was wondering how the GM's actually see EQ. Do they have some special interface or do they just have more functions than the standard player?
Does Sony let them use MQ to find us?, or do they have thier own 3rd party software?

sony undoubtedly has built in features that mimick mq features (map, etc) for their csr staff. so no not third party. the "see your group on map" feature shows that they are intelligent enough to code such a thing.

GMs and guides get a special version of the client from what I hear. This client accepts special commands to kill NPCs and such. It also is a un-hindered client, in other words it doesn't hide the NPCs in the zone and such. The client we get is a limited version of this client. All the data is being sent to our client, but our version refuses to display such info, like NPC type, level pos. With the use on MQ we are able to see this data that is sent.

GM's have more ability than most know, the guid program is limited also but not as much as the players version of the client.To even be a GM you must live near sony head quarts in CA. The DEV.s on the other hand work with the hard drives that all the server basis are set up on. I would think the dev.s would be the big worrie for MQ'ers. Im not 100% but most of the GM's in the game are not in the sony headquarts with the dev.s most of the GM's are based from there home but with the ability to control/see/alter/"change to a point" / refound/and alot of other nice abilities. I only tell this because of a friend of mine and Im sure I know more than i should :) but im along time EQ player my self and such things as MQ and maps and otther things have come up in converstion over the years and the same old thing is told to me the dev.s control ability to add things but they seem to choose not to. so the hell with them ill play as i see fit LOL. All i see is an increase in money for monthly game play every year with no added benifits for us and a new expansion that never seems to be right when it goes live and alot of down time. I wouldnt even be using MQ2 if the dev.s would be doing what we pay them for, thats my opinion. :)

Last edited:
stdage said:
GM's have more ability than most know, the guid program is limited also but not as much as the players version of the client.To even be a GM you must live near sony head quarts in CA. The DEV.s on the other hand work with the hard drives that all the server basis are set up on. I would think the dev.s would be the big worrie for MQ'ers. Im not 100% but most of the GM's in the game are not in the sony headquarts with the dev.s most of the GM's are based from there home but with the ability to control/see/alter/"change to a point" / refound/and alot of other nice abilities. I only tell this because of a friend of mine and Im sure I know more than i should :) but im along time EQ player my self and such things as MQ and maps and otther things have come up in converstion over the years and the same old thing is told to me the dev.s control ability to add things but they seem to choose not to. so the hell with them ill play as i see fit LOL. All i see is an increase in money for monthly game play every year with no added benifits for us and a new expansion that never seems to be right when it goes live and alot of down time. I wouldnt even be using MQ2 if the dev.s would be doing what we pay them for, thats my opinion. :)

agreed, i only started cheating cuz they slacked on promised features, and balance issues and were way overdue / never happened.

so thats when my flimsy justifications began, and i started hacking eq heee hee hee

Speaking from experience, guides use the same interface as we do... we just have to manually add some ui files for petition window and zone files (cshome). we get a seperate account to guide on, our one character is flagged as a guide (GREEN name and commands work now). no special interface. in fact, guides don't get to see everyone on map like we do using mq2map... as far as GM, i'm sure they have more features, but i don't know, i was only a guide, not a gm.

LOL Iv been to cshome a few times my self over the years and had many chats with new app. guides :) also played with woofy alot. but the days of what i thought were good days of sony are gone now its me my self and MQ2 LOL.

Why wouldn't they use MQ2? Why spend their money on development of a eye in the sky program when they can use this for free. All they would need to do is add the GM's names to a non-ban list. That way if they throw off any cheater alerts they are disreguarded.

I imagine they have also downloaded the Kenetix plugins and used them to test their cheat detection. Sony has the jack now. Just because they didn't give your class X AA or Y Ability doesn't mean they can't hire some of the best damn coders in the world. And you can bet your ass that those coders can whip up some trivial ass cheat detection to put a stop to this stuff. Hell, for all we know the detection methods already existed and weren't utilized until Monk Bug exploded on all servers.

Here's an example of how easy some of you can be busted. Take the Kenetix Website for example. All of you that used those plugins probably noticed the recent addition of numbers behind your name on your downloads. That is because of me. I informed Abyss about a huge hole that could be used to compile a huge list of character names for banning. Anyhow, prior to Abyss fixing this hole, I was able to download peoples plugins (though I only tested it on about 7 or 8 people) just by using my link and changing my name out with your registered names that you posted under in the forums. Then, once I had the plugins downloaded, I was able to look in them with Spice.Net and see the character names encrypted in the compile. Then, some of you intellectual beings posted on the web site what servers you played on. I was able to go to EQPlayers.com and find your characters, what guild they were in etc..... Now, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (just shy of it) but ya think Sony might have figured that out to? That just may be how some of you got banned. Either that, or some dubious tree chopping 12 year old with nothing but time on his hands compiled a list by this method and sent it to Sony for them to investigate.

Last edited:
GMs don't need mq2 or anything like that.

They say pride comes before a fall. A lot of hacker types have huge egos, they/we think we are smarter than they/we are, so over-confidence becomes a weakness. A delusion of grandure, a false sense of security. The 'nobody can catch me' or the 'they can't ban us we are too important' attitude.

The truly wise, always knows there is someone else out there smarter than he. They are catious, and careful. Discretion is the better part of valour.

I know someone who works in the PC security systems for a Government agency, they often hold contests in Washington DC to see if anyone can break into their software. Hackers come out in droves, because of their egos, to prove they are the one that can do it. They don't even pay attention to the men in suits walking around watching their every move. Stick your neck out and you might find a noose around it.

What tools do GM's use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back