• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Question - Weapon Procs and Belts (1 Viewer)

RedCents
90¢
I have a couple of questions, and be patient with me, I haven't played EQ since 99 lol.

I'm going to buy a conflag belt, but I am curious about which to buy for procs. Prolly just a question of specificity.

There's the Quick Conflag Belt that has Boon of the Seeress (+500 to procs), and there's the Ingenious Conflag Belt that has Threads of Potential (+5000 damage to spells).

Questions:

1.) Are Proc abilities "casted spells"? I see like Vampiric Draw (Conflag Rapier proc) is defined topically as an insta-cast spell. But also Spider's Bite Poison in example, is listed as a "spell". I know I'm prolly wrong about this, educate me please lol.

2.) If all procs are insta-cast spells, wouldn't the threads of potential's +5,000 to spells effect all procs? I'm guessing prolly not since there's the Quick Conflag belt that specifies procs.

One last question.

I got two Conflag Rapiers thrown into my Ranger's conflag bundle (they were being nice). Which belt would be better for a dual wielding rapier setup (for now)? Keeping in mind:

Vampiric Draw proc
Ranger self buff proc
Poison proc
Bard proc (that's his running partner)

And is a 2h Weapon better than (2) 1hand rapiers?

I understand the proc heirarchy (Weapon --> Aug --> buffs Other Effects), just not what proc effects are defined as.

Thanks for your attention in this matter, its kind of a chaotic post but I'm on the fly right now.

1) Generally speaking (maybe always?).. No.
2) No.
3) Get the Boon belt as a melee with procs.

Longer answer:

You can reference www.raidloot.com/spells to check on this. For example:
Threads of Potential:
[50833] Threads of Potential
Target: Self
Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
Focusable: Yes
Casting: 0s
Duration: 2.8h+ (1650 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
1: Increase Spell Damage by 5000 (v462, After Crit)
2: Limit Effect: Current HP
3: Limit Effect: Current HP Non Repeating
4: Limit Type: Detrimental
5: Limit Min Mana Cost: 100
6: Limit Type: Exclude Combat Skills
Increases the damage of spells by 5000 damage.

The key takeaway for Threads of Potential is 5: Limit Min Mana Cost: 100 meaning the "proc" would require you to expend 100+ mana for it to add on. Procs typically do not use mana and therefore won't trigger the belt proc/focus. Caveat to this: Threads of potential actually wins out in many cases for hybrids who cast a lot. Rangers that spam summer/cold/fire for example rapid fire gain a decent dps bump from that. Similar for beastlords. Shadowknights that tap tank would prefer this over a slow/cripple belt or a boon/donkey punch belt, because that DD applies to their lifetaps which in turn focuses the heal recourse of their taps.

Boon of the Seeress:
[39662] Boon of the Seeress
Target: Self
Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
Focusable: No
Casting: 0s
Duration: 2.8h (1650 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
1: Increase Spell Damage by 500 (v286, After Crit)
2: Limit Effect: Current HP
3: Limit Effect: Current HP Non Repeating
4: Limit Max Mana Cost: 0
5: Limit Type: Detrimental
6: Limit Type: Exclude Combat Skills
7: Limit Min Level: 254
8: Limit Max Duration: 0s
9: Limit Class: ALL
10: Limit Max Casting Time: 0s

From the melee boon belt, you can see it adds 500 dmg after crit/focii on DD procs costing 0 mana. With a lot of procs on you ranger, debate between using the 5k to nukes, vs 500 to procs is going to depend on how much melee/range proccing you do vs how much nuking you do to maximize the belt you choose. In conflagrant gear you'll be coming up on a point where the focii are still wonderful but soon becoming unparsable dps upgrades.

I'm pretty sure there was a consolidation of belt procs after RoS belts so this might only help you in the future, but the general rule I've seen is nobody really uses slow belts, but if anyone did it would be tanks. Casters and priests use the spell damage and heal proc belts like Narandi's Cummerbund of Potential, and everyone else (including tanks) uses the damage belt like Windchill Hide Belt

Last edited:
to answer your question on 2 1handed vs a 2 handed weapon. I have always perfered 2 1handed weapons over a 2 handed weapon. If you miss with a 1 handed weapon you will get the other 1handed damage. plus you will also have 2 procs working vs 1. Every parse I have tried and seen 1 handed always out preforms 2 handed. Just My opinion.

Some good info and some not so good.
First, use belt with overdrive punch on melee dps (rogues and monks for instance)
If you use mana at all (pretty much all dps casters, healers, and hybrids, use boon of/threaded potential belt.
I even use this on my SK tank unless there is a reason that I need to put the slow proc belt like playing without a slower and need that extra mitigation. For ranger specifically, I'm shooting most of the time and not in melee range so I use a 2h or a shield (depending on whether I'm getting hit or need the stat/procs when using the ranger for shooting

2H with good proc augs is going to beat 1h for damage output on most every class. Beastlords and monks use 2h on burns, 1h for sustained. Casters use 2h always. Bards, Rogues, Rangers, and Warriors might do better with 1h dual wield due to uber procs and poison hits.

Look at your specific situation and measure things with a parser. Look at a short fight. Look at a sustained grind session. if you can proactively change as needed for ensuring that specific abilities are used with the best possible weapon bandolier set based on your momentary situation, you're in the best place. If you can't do that, then probably best to optimize for sustained output and for a ranger, that is probably going to be a bow and the caster belt.

I'm pretty sure there was a consolidation of belt procs after RoS belts so this might only help you in the future, but the general rule I've seen is nobody really uses slow belts, but if anyone did it would be tanks. Casters and priests use the spell damage and heal proc belts like Narandi's Cummerbund of Potential, and everyone else (including tanks) uses the damage belt like Windchill Hide Belt
Only warriors from tanks wear the overdrive punch belt. Knights would get little to no use from it so they go caster or slow belt.

vigor with crippling slicer for WAR (incase you don't have a slower in group)
brillance (threads of potential) for SK and PAL
brilliance (threads of potential) for int and wis casters
adroitness (overdrive punch) for melee

ranger good question,
1. melee - 2 handed piercing as melee used to be best melee DPS when no bowing.
2. belt - brilliance or adroitness much of muchness for the hybrid caster / melee profile that rangers are ... given how often rangers are OOM (from rez effects, or just pumped), then i'd prefer the OD punch

Question - Weapon Procs and Belts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back