• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Warrior vs Pally (keeping aggro) (1 Viewer)

IamBigDaddy

RedCents
80¢
Assuming both have the same gear which generates the most agrro (War/Pal)?

What are the best weapons for generating aggro?

Which is better for aggro Shield/Bash or off-hand weapon?

give a warrior any weapons with 2 hate procs (not stun) and you'll out aggro a pally any day of the week without using taunt... i do it all the time when our alliance guild tanks with a paladin.

That depends entirely on the level of gameplay. Paladin aggro is always much stronger until you factor in end-game raid gear. Even so, Paladin aggro is 100% controllable and always reliable (not being dependant on something you can't control). It's still arguable who has the strongest aggro at the high end, but I can say that Paladin will have a hard time keeping up on longer fights once a warrior really starts rolling in with procs.

Best weapons? Anything with a very solid ratio and a stun/hate proc. If it's got a procmod (Bloodfrenzy or Darkblade for instance) is nice as well.

ShieldBash/FuriousBash is worthless. The only time you should ever use a shield is when defensive falls and you're concerned with survival and need the extra ac (or shield block if you have the aas).

Best Aggro (mainhand) in relative order (get's debatable towards the end):

BBoB (tacvi)
Fleshbiter (uqua)
Swiftcleaver (DPoB)
Darkblade (time)
Shademaul (Relic)
NotchedBoB (anguish)
2.0 (anguish + quest)
Thunderclap (MPG
Bloodfrenzy (ssra)
BBoTE (ssra)
Blade of the Eclipse (buyable)
Velitorkin (WoS)
EoE (time)
DoN crystal_bought axe (Lavastorm)

Best Aggro (offhand) in relative order:

2.0 (anguish)
Swiftcleaver (DPoB)
Shademaul (relic)
Notched Blade of Bloodletting
etc etc ....

See the trend? If it's got a good ratio and an innate aggro proc you're in good condition.

Static Blow= 1300ish aggro
Anger = 1150ish aggro
Enraging blow = 700 aggro
Anger 3 = 600ish aggro
Proc Stun = 400ish aggro + dd component (note paladin stun has different values)
Anger 2 = 400 aggro
DD aggro = 1/1 ratio ... 1k dd ~ 1k aggro

The very best aggro setup in game at the moment is BBoB + 2.0 with EB/Stun augs. There are other combinations consisting of 2.0 and a different weapon which come within spitting distance.

You can do the same with a simple in-game bandolier-tied fully legitimate hotkey .... but in doing so you end up losing melee rounds here and there (unless you time it between higher delay 2handed rounds). Ultimately you end up losing dps and arguably all the aggro benefits shield bash theoretically give. It's not worth the trouble.

Shields aren't good for everything except turtling up when a serious ass-beater comes knocking on your door.

the problem i have with the bandolier is that you still wait for a response from the server saying ok, you've switched to whatever bandolier you were trying to use, then you bash, then you have to switch back again. takes too much time imho.
It has also been proven a few times by parsing that stuns generate less aggro than staight hate procs.

Red cented KC, will get you tomorrow Siddin

The weapons list is great but some of them without any actual words in the name are hard to find using Alla (BBoB/EoE for example). Are these items usable by both Pally and War?

The reason I asked the question is that I have a 70 Pally (12k/2.2k unbuffed) with 700 aa's including all defensive. I have a 70 War that I PL'd from 55 with less than 30 AA's. His HP/AC are not as good as my Pally, actually none of his gear is close to my Pally.

The mobs I fight are not risky for my Pally but if I lose aggro my chanter can bite it in seconds. Would I be better off getting better aggro generating equip for my Pally or working on bringing the gear on the Warrior to the Pal's level.

With my Pally tanking my Clr seldom drops below 80% mana.

IamBigDaddy said:
The mobs I fight are not risky for my Pally but if I lose aggro my chanter can bite it in seconds. Would I be better off getting better aggro generating equip for my Pally or working on bringing the gear on the Warrior to the Pal's level.

With my Pally tanking my Clr seldom drops below 80% mana.

If this is for a group pally will do better than warrior in 99% of cases, if this is for a guild it's the other way around. If you can get epic 1.5/2.0 and such then warrior is probably better but I don't think that's what we are talking about so pally will be much better at generating aggro.

The real question is why is the paladin losing aggro to the enchanter? Are you chain mezzing/tashing while he's attacking it?

Also
EoE = Edge of Eternity from Saryn in potime
BBoB = Brutish Blade of Balance first south guy in Tacvi.

In almost every case the Paladin will have better aggro than the warrior, and his aggro will be consistant. This is the reason Knights are used on adds that pop during events + their spells are damageless. (Ie a Paladin can group heal and hit AA stuns / regular stuns for aggro, or SK can dread gaze for 1500 AE aggro, but the 1000 AE aggro cyclone blade does damage to mobs, breaking mez etc).

My first RC ever! :drink

From a grouping perspective your paladin will always be the better choice (unless something REQUIRES defensive). There shouldn't be any reason to lose aggro to enchanters as a paladin ... load the appropriate stuns and lock em down on incomming. It's been a long time since I met a competent knight with aggro problems.

Thx everyone for the great input.

BTW, This only an issue when I am running the group AFK and it does not happen often. The Enc. will wait 3 sec after the Pal engages then tash/slow. When I increased the delay to 5 sec. I stopped seeing the problem. On the Enc. account I also have a 70 Bst and I think I will just replace the Enc. since the Bst debuffs are adequate for what I am doing.

Well a couple small things to think about....

Changing delay on chanter if it doesn't hurt then NP, but if you get your silent casting (or whatever the AAs are for chanter for less aggro) you prolly wont have that problem.

I found that if you have pet control the short delay of sicking the pet on the mob before casting slow can make the difference between getting aggro or not.

Add a stun before the chanter dubuffs....

If your just slowing change out to a shammy....they take hits alot better than a chanter...

My warrior out DPSs my pally by at least double, usually more, while tanking.

Pally seems to mitigate damage almost as well as warrior except when warrior is in defensive. Since you not using defensive for afk grouping mitigation will not be an issue.

Pet push from a bst can be very dangerous when grouping where there are patrollers/close to spawn points-Bst without a pet is poor damage-Bst doesn't take hits much better than a chanter with runes.

Personally I would change out to a shammy if you are tweaking. If you have a reason to later want a warrior you may want to trade one in and out a bit to go after mobs that would require defensive (not AFK of course)

Please take with a grain of salt as I do not use MQ or do any afk fighting..just observations from in game play.

Warrior vs Pally (keeping aggro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back