• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tip - Viewing your Everquest boxes remotely with Chrome Remote Desktop (1 Viewer)

RedCents
1,346¢
So, sometimes you need to be away from your boxes. Taking a bathroom break, going to work, watching TV whilst telling your SO you're "doing really important work for a meeting tomorrow". Of course you never AFK play (very naughty), but sometimes you hit that "Combine All" on a tradeskill container having 8 Extraplanar Trade Satchels full of components and hell, why stare at that screen for minutes doing nothing?

To alleviate this, I checked out https://remotedesktop.google.com to see if it would work for me - and dang, it sure does. I won't go through how to set it up etc (check the link), but I've been able to view my boxes from my phone, or on my laptop whilst working.

It's not playable per se (or at least it can be, but it's not a great experience), and it CAN stutter. But you do get a real time view of your desktop, including sounds, and you can respond to tells etc too. I've had it running with 12 boxes on the same machine and it's been a treat. You can even view it from your phone, although that's more novelty than anything else.

Anyhoo, check it out, I wish I had done it sooner.

I used chrome remote desktop to handle all my different toons from one monitor, mouse and keyboard. (on the truebox TLP servers!)
Just use an AHK script to switch through the different windows with just hitting one button.

It even worked better than any other solution I tried (even gave the NVIDIA a try).

Last edited:
So, sometimes you need to be away from your boxes. Taking a bathroom break, going to work, watching TV whilst telling your SO you're "doing really important work for a meeting tomorrow". Of course you never AFK play (very naughty), but sometimes you hit that "Combine All" on a tradeskill container having 8 Extraplanar Trade Satchels full of components and hell, why stare at that screen for minutes doing nothing?

To alleviate this, I checked out https://remotedesktop.google.com to see if it would work for me - and dang, it sure does. I won't go through how to set it up etc (check the link), but I've been able to view my boxes from my phone, or on my laptop whilst working.

It's not playable per se (or at least it can be, but it's not a great experience), and it CAN stutter. But you do get a real time view of your desktop, including sounds, and you can respond to tells etc too. I've had it running with 12 boxes on the same machine and it's been a treat. You can even view it from your phone, although that's more novelty than anything else.

Anyhoo, check it out, I wish I had done it sooner.
they also have an app for the phone for this for the remote desktop via google

Forgot that earlier but talking about AHK script to switch chrome remote desktop windows it might help some to put the script up here :)

^!1 defines hotkey ctrl+alt+1 so you can change those to whatever you please. I have them bount to a g-key of the keyboard.
The game window's name usually is EverQuest on the local machine (but can be changed using tools of course).
Other computer's windows usually inherit the computer's name one is connected to.

Code:
^!1::
IfWinExist, EverQuest ; local machine instance
WinActivate ; use the window found above
return

^!2::
IfWinExist, nameComputer2 ; selects computer 2 RDP window
WinActivate
return

^!3::
IfWinExist, exampleNotebook
WinActivate