• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->
Resource icon

Lua - UI Saver (1 Viewer) 01/26/2024

a_moss_snake

kicks you for 69420 points of dmg!
RedCents
5,286¢
a_moss_snake submitted a new resource:

UI Saver - a bit like copylayout could have been, would it be working

Saves / restores the EQ ingame windows.

Use:
/lua run uisaver [name of setting] save (opt: default)

saves your config under

MQcfg/uisaver/[Server]_[Char]-[Settingname].cfg

- or, if you add "default" as option under

MQcfg/uisaver/default-[Settingname].cfg

To restore settings, use

/lua run uisaver [name of setting] restore (opt: default)

for verbose settings, enclose name of setting in quotes (if really needed, no char...

Read more about this resource...

I have a question about what this does,
Since the new UI patch happened my setting keep reverting to a default layout, meaning I will set all my chat windows, hotbars, and each ability on hotkeys, etc then get to playing and eventually that character crashes, or a patch boots me out.

When I log back in ALL the settings I changed are reverted to a default layout and there is no longer a file for my character name in the copy layout selector to revert back to my previous settings. Will the UI-saver save my layout somewhere to stop the files disappearing from the default location? And will this save the locations and settings of red guides windows, like every time I log in the plugin manager window is reverted back to its starting position so i move it where i want it and lock it in place, set the fade and turn off "esc to close" checkbox, and i log out and log back in and it is back in the default spot with basic settings.

Also does it save button names and images because I spend hours changing the names and images of buttons to make them easier to remember what does what; like all my self only buff AA are a yellow background picture, all the group buffs are purple, all the single target attacks are red, AoE are blue, beam are light blue etc like the spell icons.

Basically, can I take the time to get my layout exactly like I want then force a save and if my layout gets deleted by EQ, can I restore it exactly how it was?

Seems like that is off kilter.

Is it possible your EQ folder is checked "Read-Only". If it is marked as "Read-Only" it will not save your UI settings.
That might be it, i just checked and ALL folders in EQ are marked read only and when I uncheck it and click apply it says applying to all subfolders then when i go back to it after it is done the "read only" checkmark is back again and it won't stay unchecked.

That might be it, i just checked and ALL folders in EQ are marked read only and when I uncheck it and click apply it says applying to all subfolders then when i go back to it after it is done the "read only" checkmark is back again and it won't stay unchecked.
Some other ideas:

Did it ask you to confirm that after selecting all subfolders? Was the game running when you did this? I like to do it this way:

right click on your eq icon, choose Properties. Then, in Properties, find Attributes: at the bottom of the window. Click the "Read-only (only applies to files in folder)" until the box is empty. Click the Apply button.

A window will open to Confirm Attribute Changes. Make sure "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" is chosen. Then click OK. It will apply the attributes. When done, that window will close. Then click OK on the EverQuest Properties box.

Now run EQ and make your changes. Quit EQ, come back, and see if your changes are now saved.

Run as administrator.

Make sure you are camping all the way out.

I think running in full screen or switching may impact this also

Maybe a different file location.

Some other ideas:

Did it ask you to confirm that after selecting all subfolders? Was the game running when you did this? I like to do it this way:

right click on your eq icon, choose Properties. Then, in Properties, find Attributes: at the bottom of the window. Click the "Read-only (only applies to files in folder)" until the box is empty. Click the Apply button.

A window will open to Confirm Attribute Changes. Make sure "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files" is chosen. Then click OK. It will apply the attributes. When done, that window will close. Then click OK on the EverQuest Properties box.

Now run EQ and make your changes. Quit EQ, come back, and see if your changes are now saved.

Run as administrator.

Make sure you are camping all the way out.

I think running in full screen or switching may impact this also

Maybe a different file location.
I turned off computer, restarted fresh.
Made sure I was in admin mode and checked my eq icon, it wasn't in read only mode,
went to the folder and set it to be readable and hit apply then rebooted again.

When I checked again they were still in read only on the folders but when I logged in a character and made a UI change then logged completely out and logged in it saved the change now so I guess SOMETHING I did worked.

Whoa, I totally did not get any notification about any posts here, sorry...

It seems that EQ is notoriously bad about keeping UI changes saved. So here's what I do:

I have my default setup for my UW main screen saved per char, and restore this in my ingame.cfg with some delay. If I switch to side screen, I change the layout per char. If I run a new char, I first restore the layout with the default option, then save for the char.

I have a question about what this does,
[..]
Will the UI-saver save my layout somewhere to stop the files disappearing from the default location?

Yes and no. UI Saver is not connected to any EQ UI files, and will restore your layouts on demand. One caveat: this only works for the main chat screen as there currently is no way to access the other chatwindows via the Window TLO.
And will this save the locations and settings of red guides windows, like every time I log in the plugin manager window is reverted back to its starting position so i move it where i want it and lock it in place, set the fade and turn off "esc to close" checkbox, and i log out and log back in and it is back in the default spot with basic settings.
Fade could be supported (thought about that already), Esc to close probably not. Windows like plugin manager are also not possible to be changed, I believe, but will have to check that out.
Also does it save button names and images because I spend hours changing the names and images of buttons to make them easier to remember what does what; like all my self only buff AA are a yellow background picture, all the group buffs are purple, all the single target attacks are red, AoE are blue, beam are light blue etc like the spell icons.
No, sorry, that is also out of scope for this tool.
Basically, can I take the time to get my layout exactly like I want then force a save and if my layout gets deleted by EQ, can I restore it exactly how it was?
I did write it to handle positioning of elements on different screen resolutions, the whole rabbithole of going down every child element and saving/restoring settings is probably not relevant for most folks. As in your case, if there is an underlying issue with read only files, you better solve this at the root and dont band-aid with tools

Yes and no. UI Saver is not connected to any EQ UI files, and will restore your layouts on demand. One caveat: this only works for the main chat screen as there currently is no way to access the other chatwindows via the Window TLO.

Fade could be supported (thought about that already), Esc to close probably not. Windows like plugin manager are also not possible to be changed, I believe, but will have to check that out.

No, sorry, that is also out of scope for this tool.

I did write it to handle positioning of elements on different screen resolutions, the whole rabbithole of going down every child element and saving/restoring settings is probably not relevant for most folks. As in your case, if there is an underlying issue with read only files, you better solve this at the root and dont band-aid with tools
I think redmonkey already solved my issue, I have been able to make changes and save them and still have them after a reboot so hopefully my issue is resolved but thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, only the main chat window can be moved/restored, its a MQ limitation at the time being.

Chat colors, I don't know if I could set them, but let me check.

I have a small update prepared, which cuts down on the amount of windows saved (loads are really just internal stuff which you will never use), can open a few windows for you to move em around.

I'll check if I can set Esc to close / fade levels, chat color and such and add that, then I'll update.

Unfortunately, only the main chat window can be moved/restored, its a MQ limitation at the time being.

Chat colors, I don't know if I could set them, but let me check.

I have a small update prepared, which cuts down on the amount of windows saved (loads are really just internal stuff which you will never use), can open a few windows for you to move em around.

I'll check if I can set Esc to close / fade levels, chat color and such and add that, then I'll update.
OK those methods are possible:

so apart from background color, fade level, open&close it does not seem as if there are other modifications possible, for now.

Seems like a lot of work to restore a single window. I think it's just as much a hustle as moving the window around manually every time I boot a character.

Seems like a lot of work to restore a single window. I think it's just as much a hustle as moving the window around manually every time I boot a character.

Hm I don't know if I get this right - UISaver saves/restores the position/size of ALL your EQ windows, not a single one only.

To be clear: all the INGAME EQ Windows, not the general EQ window :-)

Last edited:
Lua - UI Saver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back