• You've discovered RedGuides 📕 an EverQuest multi-boxing community 🛡️🧙🗡️. We want you to play several EQ characters at once, come join us and say hello! 👋
  • IS THIS SITE UGLY? Change the look. To dismiss this notice, click the X --->

Tech - Turning off Windows Update in Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

aspire2008

RedCents
2,825¢
If you are annoyed about how Windows 10 automatically updates your PC and haven't figured out how to turn it off. Do the following:

Search "Services" at the Cortana search field box, Run "Services" app as administrator. Scroll down till you see "Windows Update", right click "Properties", and turn it off to Disable. Click "Apply" and Close.

I personally hate it when it downloads and restarts my PC without me having any say in it. Then when you do want to update windows, turn it back on ON, you just redo the steps above but switch it to "Automatic".

On a side note, Windows 10 LTSB is great if you want security updates, but not full system upgrades every x days. Only available in Enterprise form, but if you (or anyone reading) have access to it, check it out. I've switched all my boxes over, and enjoy security updates only.

This really is annoying as I had already turned updates off; went to deferred settings, but it still restarted my PC. Thx for the disable services route Aspire.

I changed my wi-fi to be recognized as a metered service, and then chose not to download updates over a metered connection.

I had a power outage during an update some time back, and of course it botched the security update. As such, the win10 updater wants to reinstall this botched update nightly.

I have attempted installing it "manually" (downloading it and burning to a disk) with no luck, have used USB drive with no luck.

As such I generally just set the update to max days off... it installs... errors... reboots... uninstalls... reboots.. and tells me about it.

About a week or so ago it finally installed properly apparently... at least it is not reinstalling nightly or giving error reports... but I can say it doth suck at fixing botched updates

Last edited:
On a side note, Windows 10 LTSB is great if you want security updates, but not full system upgrades every x days. Only available in Enterprise form, but if you (or anyone reading) have access to it, check it out. I've switched all my boxes over, and enjoy security updates only.

Time to put that MSDN license to good use :P

Tech - Turning off Windows Update in Windows 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back